The Future of Spinball Whizzer and Adventure Land

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
definedancing

Sorry if this topic already exists!

I work on the beautiful, omnipresent Sonic Spinball that has allegedly been leaving Towers for about 5 years now. As it is running over Christmas, it would seem that there still is life left! However I know a lot of people still read the LTDP like a bible so I wanted to know everyone else's thoughts!
Aidan Lowe

Although a fair few here dislike it I for one hope it stays for a while as its one I look forward to more so than Air, Th13teen & Rita. Has a decent enough track layout & is just plain fun.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
coasterchemist

I agree that it's a fun little coaster, but it's getting really rough in places. Particularly at the bottom of the hill just before the first horseshoe curve. Maybe if AT are wanting to keep it, they should begin to address things like that.
xylyx

I love it, especially when I can get it unbalanced and soon like crazy, love speed of the lift hill as well, no messing about just up in a shot. It's good fun sop hippie it stays around. Plus it's the first coaster peeps tend to go on when getting into the park due to proximity, so it mitigates the effect of crowds on the rest of the park....at least initially lol
DrKelman

I have never really liked this ride to be honest. My legs do not seem to fit into the car because they are too long so it is really uncomfortable especially when the ride is throwing you all over the place.

I used to always ride this as soon as i got into the park but now i just do not bother with it any more i wonder if they will knock this ride down and make the area an expansion for Cbeebies land.
definedancing

I can attest to these two things:
It's usually dead between 1pm and 3pm due to its proximity to the entrance, and...
Single rider queue in wet weather is the way forward.

I was never a fan but when I started hosting on it I grew a massive amount of appreciation for it. I think it's a clever little ride and I see first hand how popular it is with kids and families, and Sonic the Hedgehog fans!
JonDoesTT

I really like Sonic Spinball. It can be rough in places, but it manages to be a fairly thrilling family ride. I think it will stay for a while, but either be removed for a CBeebies Land expansion, or re-themed. I'd prefer it to be re-themed, as I'm not a sonic fan at all, and it probably could be as good as dragon's fury with a bit of work.

Credit to NemesisRider
Liam.W

I absolutely love sonic spinball! being a single rider most of the times I go to Alton, I go on this about 5 times in a row and then I'm nearly puking. And then I'll go on it again later on! It's a fun ride to do on your way to x-sector.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Stan.H

Sonic Spinball is a great ride, it's short but packs a pretty big punch, I'd love to see it rethemed, if too Cbeebies not too sure, but, If I rethemed it,I'd theme it to Lego Ninjago (The sets spin). I don't like the small capacity on the ride which causes the massive line (most mornings 60-120 mins) and most evenings (4pm to park close) due to it being close to the entrance. I'd like them to theme the queue a bit more, but I like the fact that Merlin have tried to make their queues a bit more interactive!
JonDoesTT

If it were to be a ninjago theme, it should really be at Legoland, but as it's a popular range, I'm sure it would also be very popular. And the thing this week is 'Airjitzu', where they fly or something, which they could also possibly add in. I'd like to see it!

Credit to NemesisRider
definedancing

If it wasn't for Thorpe doing it and the fact it was outdated, Angry Birds would've been a good IP for the ride.
I love Sonic though. I wish there was some better theming, for example I'd love for the pinball interactives in the queue that never work to be transformed into some Sonic themed games from its 90's Sega days. A massive long shot though lol.
I still stand by a CBBC retheme too. I'd be massively annoyed though if they made the ride tamer for that audience.
Sawboss

Last trip we went on it 6 or 7 times in a row both days. Always fun :)
Aidan Lowe

Unfortunately Santa doesn't give it his endorsement:

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
definedancing

The positioning of that picture seems really off.
So excited for Christmas :D. Sonic Snowball is the way forward!
xylyx

Lol poor Santa, looks like he's May end up regretting all those mince pies lol
Master_feedback

I can see spinball being moved to make way for more cbbc stuff but not going to happen this year their just no time
mattiepearce

I've always had aloft spot for Sonic Spinball as it was my first ever coaster, and I always make sure to ride it on every visit. I hope that the park leaves it in for many for years.
Justin

Master_feedback wrote:I can see spinball being moved to make way for more cbbc stuff but not going to happen this year their just no time
I can see this too. I think Spinballs removal has been hinted at for a long time, but I can't see them removing it completely from the park.
bensaund

I also can't see them spending a fortune to move the ride from one area to another as they would not gain anything.
Master_feedback

bensaund wrote:I also can't see them spending a fortune to move the ride from one area to another as they would not gain anything.
They gain more space for more childrens bbc related things but keep a good ride that would fit in better else where on the park