The Future of Spinball Whizzer and Adventure Land

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Justin

It has been a while since the removal of Spinball was brought up. I'm not sure if it will be removed from the resort for another 3-5 years.

CBeebies opened in 2014, therefore it will only be 5 years old (area theme) this May! As new attractions are still being added within the area, the need for expansion isn't great, but of course space will run out. Only when this has happened do I think Alton will consider the rides removal to expand the area.
Dan

I strongly believe that Spinball’s days are numbered, and when it does go, CBeebies Land will be extended to occupy the land where Spinball currently sits.
Justin

I think it is a given and an obvious move. It would be a sensible move commercially, as the Cbeebies brand is ever evolving with new characters.

If Spinball was to be removed, would they sell it on or move it to another park? Rumours were rife that it would head to Thorpe Park at one time, although I am now unsure if this would be the case?
DerpyQuark

I don’t think it will move to Thorpe Park. I think it will be sold and then probably never seen again.
Coaster Chall

No I do believe those Thorpe Park relocation rumours will be dying by now unfortunately. I think Spinball will be removed but it won't be until they've invested in at least another family thrill coaster somewhere else and I've feeling that it'll be in the next 10 years or so
Justin

Now that Wicker Man is here, could it be earmarked to be removed around 2022? This would then allow CBeebies to be expanded for its tenth anniversary. 
SJW

I was thinking about this the other day, also, the 10-year plan had it slated for removal by 2022 didn't it?
Ladyofthelake

Justin wrote:Now that Wicker Man is here, could it be earmarked to be removed around 2022? This would then allow Cbeebies to be expanded for its tenth anniversary. 
Wow, that makes me feel old knowing that CBeebies Land is going to be 10 in just 3 years time!
Back on the topic of Spinball however, and I think it is kind of a tricky decision for the Resort to make. Yes, it most likely is going to be removed sooner rather than later, and a CBeebies expansion i the most likey thing to replace it, especially as once Spinball goes they will have a much lower height limit for whatever replaces it. However, Spinball's removal will see yet another option for older children gone. Towers need to seriously address this ever increasing gap in thir line-up, otherwise they are going to have a few problems attracting and keeping the very families they want to target. Sadly, due to the age of the coaster, I can't see it being moved anywhere following its removal, wither elswhere in the theme park, or to another park.
Morgan

I was kind of expecting last year to be Spinball's last (if I remember correctly wasn't there an LTDP that stated it's removal by 2019?), but as previously said it can't be round for much longer.
Realistically it'll be replaced by more Cbeebies stuff after seeing how succesful the area was, but I can't help but feel the area will need a refresh soon as many of the shows rides are based around would've ended by now- but thats an argument for another time. So let's say that a Cbeebies expansion isn't happening- in that case whatever replaces Spinball needs to be high capacity and appeal to as broad a spectrum as possible. And with The Flume having closed a few years back, I think it'd be a good move to pop a flume in there. They'd need to dig a bit due to the new restrictions on the area but it's a high capacity ride that appeals to a lot of people.
Swarm Chris

I would just like to point out to Merlin management, that there is literally nowhere at Thorpe Park that Spinball could reside. Literally, nowhere... :sus:

The brakes and device to lock the cars back into place at the end of the ride, seem so flimsy to me, I'm surprised it has lasted this long as it is.

Could be a location for the Driving School to move to? Grouping the activities for the younger audience into one place. Perhaps not the most exciting use, but it would free up the presumably last in-use unit in CCL, should they be looking for somewhere to put their next big ticket attraction. Sprinkle in some Lego, and you could have a mini Legoland area.
Justin

I have also considered if Driving School could be relocated to CBeebies Land or another part of the park, but it should most definitely not feature a LegoLand theme. I think Merlin would seriously be pushing it if that was the case.

P.s. I've added to the name of this thread cover the possibility of a CBeebies Land expansion on Adventure Land.
wamdue

Why would you want litlte mini LegoLand? The good thing CBeebies Land has going for it right now is the CBeebies branding. Adding Lego into that only cheapens it.
Last edited by Justin on Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swarm Chris

Well, I think given some of the recent decisions at Alton, the probability of the Lego brand being forced on the park somewhere seems fairly high. When I think of Legoland, I think of the driving school. Placing it next to CBeebies Land would seem to me fairly sensible, certainly more than say adding a Dungeon to Cloud Cuckoo Land. :lol

Plus it would keep the Legoland brand confined to a small area of the park, with little impact elsewhere. Rather than say a Lego discovery centre being placed in the former Sub-Terra building. :lol
wamdue

I guess if you dont want to just give that land to Cbeebies completely, then a Lego Driving School, (along with other Lego stuff, maybe even a mini Lego model of the park, and a Lego shop) might be a way to go. Certaintly if it prevents Lego being more present in the park then its a good idea.

That being said Lego Alton Towers stuff, can we get a Lego Smiler? or a Lego Nemesis in Tower Street store?
Justin

I can't see it happening to be honest, although Alton Towers did have a Lego store a few years back in Mutiny Bay.
Stevieg1993

I would like see Spinball sold to another UK Theme Park, somewhere like Paultons could benefit with a family thrill coaster and they could give it a theme as well. New paint, new theme, all new makeover to fit the image. Have the cars like dinosaur eggs or something.
Coaster Chall

If it isn't sold, I would like to see it rethemed to CBeebies Land, so it dosen't have to leave and it means CBeebies could take over Adventure Land. Not sure what character would get there own coaster but you never know...
Dan

Coaster Chall wrote:If it isn't sold, I would like to see it rethemed to CBeebies Land, so it dosen't have to leave and it means CBeebies could take over Adventure Land. Not sure what character would get there own coaster but you never know...
I’m not sure that would happen.

Spinball is a bit too thrilling for the general target market of CBeebies Land, and while the ride would remain unchanged, if it were to be located within CBeebies Land I believe a large proportion of the adults who ride it now, would no longer do so.

As has already been mentioned, Spinball was earmarked for removal on the LTDP, so I don’t think it’ll be too long before it says goodbye.
Sozzy40

Stevieg1993 wrote:I would like see Spinball sold to another UK Theme Park, somewhere like Paultons could benefit with a family thrill coaster and they could give it a theme as well. New paint, new theme, all new makeover to fit the image. Have the cars like dinosaur eggs or something.
It's not going to Paultons. Firstly, PP is heavily rumoured to get a Mack spinner next year, so they'd already have a spinning coaster assuming they moved it in 2021.
Secondly, Paultons is one of Merlin's main rivals. If the ride does get relocated, then I think it will be to Heide park.
I can see why the beornen worship Wicker Man
Justin

Dan wrote:
Coaster Chall wrote:If it isn't sold, I would like to see it rethemed to CBeebies Land, so it dosen't have to leave and it means CBeebies could take over Adventure Land. Not sure what character would get there own coaster but you never know...
I’m not sure that would happen.

Spinball is a bit too thrilling for the general target market of CBeebies Land, and while the ride would remain unchanged, if it were to be located within CBeebies Land I believe a large proportion of the adults who ride it now, would no longer do so.

As has already been mentioned, Spinball was earmarked for removal on the LTDP, so I don’t think it’ll be too long before it says goodbye.
I must agree, I really can't see it being rethemed to a CBeebies brand at all. It would stick out like a sore thumb. If they were to have rebranded, then they would have done it when the Sonic IP ran out.