The Future of Hex

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Smiffy107

I have been wondering how much longer the Hex ride will stay within the park, I realise they made it a permanent part of the towers and all, and I enjoy it immensely every time I go to AT, although I used to be terrified of it when I went on years ago for the first time. ( I live in hertfordshire, which is 128 miles away) Who else thinks Hex has plenty of years left and who thinks they might scrap it in the next few years, I hope they don't get rid of it anytime soon I do enjoy it, so very much, one of my favourite rides, even though after riding it loads you don't get the thrill of it as much as you did the first time round.
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
TH14TEEN

I love the theme and the buildup, but the ride is an anti climax for me.
Dan

Hex is one of the best (if not THE best) dark ride in the country and is greatly under-appreciated by the GP. I would be very sad to see it go as I always make a point of riding it whenever I go to Towers.

However I don't think its removal will be any time soon. Quality dark rides are very few and far between in this country so I think Merlin would be very foolish to remove Hex before it is financially unviable to keep it operating.

Also it isn't actually part of the Towers itself. The main vault is in a warehouse adjacent to the Towers which was purpose built and it's testament to the quality of the theming inside the attraction that a lot of people believe it is housed in the Towers.

So in short, I believe Hex has many years left before it is even considered for removal.
xylyx

Yes I think it will be around a fair while, they have nothing to gain from removing it as the space is very specific to Hex, it would take some work getting another ride themed and working with the ruins in a meaningful way.

I love the ride myself as it's completely different to everything else on the park, and even though I could quote the back story word for word it is a ride I make a point of doing every time I visit and will drag others on to.
NemesisRider

Let's be honest, what benefits would removing Hex have? Hex is a high capacity indoor ride which is enjoyable even if the weather is good from a park owners perspective, plus what else could you do in that space?

To add to this, Hex has to be my favourite dark ride in the UK, if not the world. Whilst a lot of people like Valhalla, Hex is based off a real legend and I'd say it's probably the best total experience Towers offer (as the coasters are very good, but not as immersive).

Finally the music is just spectacular. It's by fat my favourite music Towers use. Especially as someone with musical interests it's incredibly well arranged and general a great orchestral piece.
Stan.H

I wouldn't like Hex to be scrapped, but I'd like that outdoor queue gone, you could put a kiddie ride in that area, I have never ever seen it full!
Capt.Barnacles

I have. On some peak days Hex can get enormous queues, right up to the first entrance gate.
Stan.H

Dan C wrote:I have. On some peak days Hex can get enormous queues, right up to the first entrance gate.
Wow!! How long do you think the queue was?? Do you have any pictures? Also how long does the Hex queue capacitate. Thinking about it, I have seen the Hex queue full at Scarefest last year!!
Morgan

Hex is, by far, the best dark-ride I have ridden. It offers something different, it's mysterious and, because not many people know what it is, it benefits the attraction.
Also, it's throughput is 864pph, and most days it has next-to-no queue, so it's not as popular as you think. There isn't any reason Merlin need to get rid of it though- most who ride it enjoy it and appreciate what it is afterwards. Source
JonDoesTT

I think hex will last a very long time. It's a great experience, and the actual ride gets me every time. It might need updating a little bit, but it is very good and extremely underrated.

Credit to NemesisRider
ROYJESS

I love Hex.

No not a big thrill ride, but it's a great theatrical dark ride. The atmosphere from the queue line to the exit is brilliant. The story it tells is based on a true legend and still not a lot of people know that. It's mainly set in the actual Towers. The themeing is great. Love the music.

A great theme park should not always be about the big rollercoasters, it is nice to have a choice of rides, a nice time filler in-between the big rides. It's also nice to be able to go on a ride that you don't have to queue for.

I rode it all three days over the firework event. It was walk on on the Friday and Sunday, but on Saturday it did have a queue running from the entrance to the turnstile.

When I rode on it on the Sunday, half the lights on the actual ride wasn't working including those evil red tree eyes in the base of the revolving room.

I love seeing people faces of those who never rode it before not knowing that its the room that revolve around and not you.

The only thing that needs to be fixed is the curtain at the stop of the stairs in the octagon room. First time guest either fail to stop at the bottom of the stairs or fail to move on after the octagon room show.

I would like to think that we have many more years of Hex to come.
Justin

Hex will last for many, many, many years. It is part of Alton Towers history and many visitors enjoy the ride once they experience it. This is certainly backed up when considering the fireworks this year too!

As Dan.N said the ride itself is not part of the Towers. Also it is very difficult for anything to be placed in or around the Towers and personally I think we are very lucky to have Hex in there. I do wonder if planning permission would be given for it today, even though it is only the queue line and pre-shows that are in the ruins.

It is also a ride which has a high throughput and one of only a few rides where visitors can escape any bad weather in the area that day!
xylyx

ROYJESS wrote:The only thing that needs to be fixed is the curtain at the stop of the stairs in the octagon room. First time guest either fail to stop at the bottom of the stairs or fail to move on after the octagon room show.
Yeah the two days I was on park earlier this month we had this problem, the crowd at the front just stood staring at the bookcase and not moving once the show was done.
Themeparksandy1981

Well the madhouse at Blackpool still going strong and that must have been added In the 1960's so unless it has a major breakdown which would cost more to replace then I can't see Hex leaving the park anytime soon. It be nice if they added more things in the vault or changed the program a bit.
Smiffy107

you guys are all right, I love the music and the backstory to hex, yes I agree it is a great ride to go on to get out of the rain as the queue are is mainly indoors, I remember firsthand how terrified I was to even try to go on hex when I first went to AT, my dad had to literally almost drag me on, once I went on it though, I have never looked back, by far my favourite ride, although alot of my friends are still scared of the queue area haha, it is very creepy I admit but I love the thrill knowing what a fantastic amazing awesome ride is ahead :P
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
SkuM001

I think that Hex is so great, because I feel like I'm actually in a theme park when I ride it, rather than just an overpriced amusement park with some rollercoasters.
stealthsmiler

I love hex. But I can see why some people find it an anti climax. When it is time for hex to go. I hope it keeps its theme. So just remove the madhouse with a new ride and keep all the build up changing the story slightly to match the new ride that will eventually replace it. It's theme is what I love the most because of how unique it is to Alton Towers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan.H

Although the finale of the mad-house is quite an anti-climax, they do state at the front of the ride that this is not a thrill ride!! :D
Dan

Emporium wrote:Although the finale of the mad-house is quite an anti-climax, they do state at the front of the ride that this is not a thrill ride!! :D
What bearing will this have on how long the ride lasts?
Stan.H

Dan.N wrote:
Emporium wrote:Although the finale of the mad-house is quite an anti-climax, they do state at the front of the ride that this is not a thrill ride!! :D
What bearing will this have on how long the ride lasts?
This is just in reply to those that are saying the mad-house scene is an anti-climax (and i'm just saying what AT say!!)