Flamingo Land

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
KittyKat

abigsmurf wrote: Can't be as long as my last visit.

It was so long ago all I remember is walking down the path with a load of lights and model dioramas and the world's crudest water chute where you're pulled back up by a rope.

Has to be over 20 years ago.
That sounds a bit like one that used to be at Lightwater Valley. I can't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure that was it.
rollercoastersmi

I think it is a terrible investment to be honest. Volares aren't good rides, and I can't see it being a massive draw to the park. I mean the starflyer hardly made an impact!
KittyKat

I used to be a huge fan of Flamingo Land however I've gone right off the place. The way all the marketing changed a few years ago, I got the impression they were aiming to attract more younger visitors than old (they even tried to make Kumali look tame). Then, they get investments such as a Volare, which is for a very select market. It seems like they're making investments for the sake of it and they haven't thought about where they are going with it.
ukool

Been today and thiers a pretty cool board up were the mouse used to be, its alien 60s sci fi themed. No coaster or anything yet just clear ground work. Whens this thing meant to be open for?
RhysLocke444

Flamingo Land's Wild Mouse was by far the best Wild Mouse in my opinion. This Volare better be worth it. I think their target age group is dropping to make it even more of a family park :(
jackcullen

RhysLocke444 wrote: Flamingo Land's Wild Mouse was by far the best Wild Mouse in my opinion. This Volare better be worth it. I think their target age group is dropping to make it even more of a family park :(
How'd you come to that conclusion. They've taken out a family coaster for a family thrill one, there's no 'numbing down' so to speak ala Drayton. It didn't really make sense having 2 mice style coasters when Mumbo has the same height restriction.
C0RR3CTED1

Good news to hear the mouse has finally left, such a terrible ride, anything would be good as a replacement in my opinion  :D
joelpagett

I wanted to discuss this highly underated park!

I Went to Flamingo land the other day for the first time. After hearing many things about the park I was a bit dubious but I thought I should try it out. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Mumbo Jumbo & Kumali are great rides which suit the park wonderfully, they have loads of development going on and the park has a really fantastic zoo! I also loved Velocity, a great ride that is highly under estimated. All in all the park is pretty well kept except the seaside area which needs a revamp, Although the drop tower (Cliff Hanger) was by far the best launched tower I have ever been on! Some photos are available on Flickr

I personally think that the park is highly underated and want to give it a big thumbs up! Only qualm I have is a massive lack of toilets! :P. There is many new additions in 2013, 2 new coasters, 1 new flat ride and plenty of new animal enclosures. I would highly recommend visiting this summer!
Last edited by joelpagett on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clayj

I love Flamingoland. Its a great wee park with a great mix of animals & variety of rides - Each of their coasters offers a different riding experience & although they are off the shelf designs, they attempt to theme them & bring new rides to the UK. I remember as a child,  it used to remember that it used to be a massive expanse of concrete with standard flats & no attempt at themeing, however, ever since the introduction of the seaside area, they really are putting extra effort in.

Oh, and they used to have a carbon copy of the corkscrew which coincidentally, used to be in a park based 5 minutes walk from my parents house in Newcastle (Whitley Bay). Although, as their version spent the majority of its life by the seaside, really didn't age well& was extremely rough towards the end of it's life
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
joelpagett

They are most definetley aiming towards themeing thier rides much better. Thier new Dinosaur land looks fantastic and will be a great addition to the park when it opens!
clayj

I'm undecided wether to go or not this year as we drive over and stay with my parents every year (I live just outside Belfast and thy live just outside Newcastle)  and I've kinda already promised my 5 year old we will go to Lightwater Valley for the new Angry Birds play park but I really fancy Flamingoland now. They are both similar distance drive so that doesn't help either :s

We are already doing 2days 1night at Alton Towers and a day at Drayton Manor (due to Thomas for my 2year old) when we drive down to stay with my brother and his wife
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
KittyKat

I haven't been for a couple of years. I do think I should pop over as it isn't too far away and see what is going on. :)
joelpagett

Here is a small update from the construction of thier 2013 attractions including Hero and thier new Dino-stone Land!

The rest are on [url=http://facebook.com/themeparkmedia/url]FACEBOOK
ThrillJunkie

I really like Flamingo Land and they've come so so far in the last few years but for me it's around a 6hr drive (12hr return) so day trips are out of the question.

I've looked at staying at their onsite resort a few times but it's so expensive.

Camping for 1 night is £47pn (for two people)
Then on top of that you have to pay £30pp for Theme Park entrance

So for One day on park and one night on the resort for two people costs £107!!!
For that price I could stay at Alton Towers Hotel and sleep in a nice warm bed with entrance to the park for 2 days.
ThrillJunkieUK
joelpagett

I completly understand! It is a six hour drive for where we are in Hampshire. We stayed outside the resort and god a coupon for £8 so it wasn't to expensive. But they hardly every do offers!
DeanGaryCox

hopefully i'll get there this year as i've never been, and well 4 hours + is too far away for just a day... helps now I know someone who lives up in york :D
Image 2014
Pierre

First pieces of 'Hero' arrived on site today...

smile.always

when are they going to actually start building "hero". I am waiting till it has been built to go for the day. since they now charge £30 entrance fee. I remember 6 years ago, when it was on £21 to get in.
Luce

I also noticed yesterday, that Flamingo Land are currently sponsoring Home & Away on Channel 5 :D
Benjsh

Planning on going for first time in nearly a decade this summer. We're looking at a 1 night 2 day visit. 2hr drive for us from Manchester so not too bad.

The park looks to have come on loads recently. Really looking forward to it.