Gardaland

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
nemefan08

DannyG wrote:that theming looks horrendous... and i thought The Smiler's concrete slab station was bad :/

I agree but disagree if you know what I mean. It isn't terrible but it sure is not a work of art. IMO it fits the theme they want (by this I don't mean white) so I say they have done well. The only real problem is that there just isn't enough fir where they have began to edit. Landscaping or concrete pouring will have to begin soon or the ride will look to unpolished
NemesisRider

It's looking OK. I think that I prefer Krake though if I'm honest. The theming of Krake just seems superior and with this, it looks like an almost half hearted attempt.

I reckon it will be a pretty good ride, but won't be themed as well as Krake or Blivvy.
Owen

The Training Centre Page has once again been update too 12.
http://www.gardalandoblivion.it/en/training-center

Number 11 sounds interesting - Mentions of the floor shaking, wind blowing and flashing lights.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

There's a sense of marmalisation in this...
Capt.Barnacles

^Echoes my thoughts exactly :moj

I am interested in just how much white is around this, I'd like to see maybe some orange symbols or figures painted onto that theming block after the Immelmann, same goes for the station, I'm not keen on how bare it looks but at the same time, it gives it the controlled, new feel that contrasts AT Oblivion's dark, menacing, out of control atmosphere.
Altonboy001

Perhaps Some Form Of maze for number 11
Chris
Admin
Admin

When I visited Gardaland in 2013 I thought the space area was shabby, and did not fit in with the rest of the park. I was quite glad to hear that this area would be overhauled with this new coaster.

As much as it looks fun - I think the theming looks pretty hideous. They have managed to actually compliment the aging theming already there - straight from the 80's.
ponder

stealthsmiler wrote:Oblivion is the only dive machine Ive ever been on, so I have no first hand experience of sitting on the third row of a dive machines train, however looking at this video, it seems like the third row doesnt get the whole experience of being held at the top of the drop as they are still on the straight bit before the drop. Has anyone sat on the third row of a dive machine and does it feel the same as row one or two? To me it looks like the train should be held slightly further down the drop so all three rows are looking down.

The 3rd row of ShieKra is the best experience, in my opinion. Like you say, you don't get the full view when you're held at the top of the drop, however, because of the 'stadium' style seating, in the 3rd row you're raised quite high, giving a sense of detachment from the track. On a big vertical drop that provides quite an interesting 'free fall' sensation.
nickhutson

Do we think that map on the website the queue, or is it just a fun animation to promote the ride?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

nickhutson wrote:Do we think that map on the website the queue, or is it just a fun animation to promote the ride?
I believe it is showing the actual queueline through the tent-type building.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Here are some photos from the 31st January, which have only recently appeared on the minisite, showing the ride testing.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Here's some more information about the ride experience from Theme Park Review, as well as some photos of the theming surrounding the 'black hole'.

I must say that the theming does have a quirky look about it and seems to be quite thoughtful, it looks a little odd how the windmill, water tank and cart are just lined up next to each other, although I will be intruiged to see what effect they achieve with the Saloon building.
Everything is almost ready at Gardaland. Oblivion - The Black Hole, the first Dive Coaster in Italy and the longest one in Europe is standing tall, with its magnitude, its vertical plunge and the dazzling white of its tracks, on all the Park’s attractions.

But if the track has already been completed, it’s the details of the theming that are now attracting attention, while waiting to find out what this attraction will offer in terms of emotions. Along with the vertical plunge fall inside a mysterious black hole and the incredible inversions, the added value of this sensational attraction is the theming of the area and the richness of the special effects: from the interactive path leading up to the entrance of the attraction, to the boarding stage and to the out and out rollercoaster experience. It is going to be an extraordinary, incredible journey that will ideally cross a mysterious space-time conduct, a link between planet Earth and another space and time.

The white colour of the track- a very original choice for a rollercoaster – was chosen to harmonise the attraction with the vast themed area – which also includes Space Vertigo and Flying Island – and to offer an atmosphere NASA style. The fearless ones who will dart aboard lightning-fast trains, devised and made to resemble space vehicles, experiencing a journey like the ones we dream of as children. And who has never dreamt, even if for just a second, of being an astronaut? Who knows, maybe a future Samantha Cristoforetti, the young Italian astronaut, will also climb aboard Oblivion - The Black Hole, ready for the fantastic emotion of a “launch” into space…

But on top of the space inspiration, Guests will be attracted by the crux of the Oblivion experience - The Black Hole: a hole with enough gravitational field to attract and suck in everything. Besides the mouth of the tunnel there will indeed be unusual elements, completely distorted and sucked in; it will feel like being “dragged” inside the conduct, almost like being “swallowed”: part of the roof of a saloon, a windmill, a little cart, a water tank, 3 TV aerials and the van of a TV crew which had arrived to document the strange phenomenon…

Everything will appear deformed by the powerful gravitational forced generated by the “black hole”.

But this is not all, because another captivating characteristic of Oblivion - The Black Hole is the interactive path preceding the boarding of the new rollercoaster. The waiting line will be, in itself, an unforgettable experience! The path will indeed start inside a technological training centre where, through advanced software that enrich sensorial perception – you will be able to immerse yourself in the adrenaline-filled experience that leads to the train. Special effects, sounds, light games and innumerable new gen LED screens will open the way to the overwhelming and sensational journey. But will everybody be capable to climb aboard? To erase any doubt, the fearless visitors, during the wait, will face tests and pass trials; a voice will guide them through each required action. A mission in perfect NASA style: from the feeling of being launched inside a tunnel, to the balance test, to the mind-blowing 3D optical effects and the out and out boarding, inside the station. The Oblivion - The Black Hole shuttle is ready to welcome all passengers! Then, between sky and earth, among twists, turns and unexpected obstacles the extraordinary and exciting rollercoaster will bring the most fearless passengers to fall from vertiginous height, at mad speed, in a vertical plunge into oblivion, through the mysterious space-time conduct on the way to a new dimension. And contact with reality will inexplicably vanish…

“We began from the concept one year ago, moving from a planning-creative phase to the realisation of important sculptures that we are currently positioning in the area. Specific professional positions where needed for this project: architects, planners, sculptors audio/video technicians, carpenters, painters, experts in iron manufacturing… a coral organisation of many companies for the development of this great new area” - says Gianluca Ghedini, Gardaland Division Creative Manager.

42.5 metres high, 87 degrees of inclination and a speed of 100km/h: those are the numbers of Oblivion - The Black Hole, the first Dive Coaster in Italy and the longest one in Europe.

Only for true daredevils, from 140 cm in height to 99 years of age!

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Another video has been released, featuring some off-ride shots of the ride testing as well as some on-board backward-facing footage.

The Training Centre page has also been updated with information about the final few sections of the interior queue-line, suggesting that some of the effects used earlier will feature again in the final corridor.

Also the first rider competition has now finished, with the promise of new sections of the website once the winners have been decided.
dazza4783

Here is the full video.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Two new pages have appeared on the minisite, detailing the ride Experience and a page entitled Uniqueness which contains some standard statistics about the rollercoaster.
Altonboy001

"adrenaline-filled rush for body and mind..." now its sounding like the smiler, can this ride gimmick anymore towers things
Jack

it's owned by merlin, they are merely using their own things ;) Merlin have reused ride themes and such before, but apart from the name and that part of the description this is completely different in terms of theming, and also ride experience :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

With the park set to reopen next weekend, the finishing touches are being added to the attraction, with exterior queueline fencing and the TV van by the black hole now in place.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Here are some photos from Image of the theming around the attraction.

Aidan Lowe

I love the distortion of objects in relation to the black hole, very nice theming there. However the general color scheme of it isn't very attractive on the eyes.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc