The Future Of Scarefest

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
MakoMania

Yeah, I'd have no problem with the new style scare zones if it actually felt like one, it's not very good when you can walk through without being approached by a single actor.

I would like to see one free flow zone and one set route zone this year.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
S.J_O'Grady

I put a little further up about how much I hate the new style of zone but actually I've been persuaded otherwise. I think if they can add some more theming and actors and possibly a third one then it could work really well. I now like the idea of having them just as a part of the Halloween atmosphere and I agree that thy will surely be looking to expand on what worked well last year.

If they were to add a third zone I think it'd been cool to have it in a section of the gardens.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Sawboss

It's a shame about how the scarezones need to be limited in size since some people don't like the actors interacting with them.
KoasterKraver

The Sky Sailor wrote:I put a little further up about how much I hate the new style of zone but actually I've been persuaded otherwise. I think if they can add some more theming and actors and possibly a third one then it could work really well. I now like the idea of having them just as a part of the Halloween atmosphere and I agree that thy will surely be looking to expand on what worked well last year.

If they were to add a third zone I think it'd been cool to have it in a section of the gardens.
The new zones are nice, but a mixture would be preferred by me or just the rid of them and back to the old ones (which are 100x better than these tats). Ooo the gardens! I like that... but surely that would have to be a old type zone as they close the gardens off at night, seems useful to use the gardens for something at scarefest! Mazes were definitely up a notch compared to the year before (which is always a good thing to improve, but the zones were nothing at all). Keep Sub Species and at the old type zones (hopefully a garden one) and add whatever else they want, I'd be happy with that.
Count-Vonduel

I want to see better scarefest shows and halloween versions of the pirate show and the 4d show, and ask for the scare zones ...well last years was utter rubbish, with the only decent encounter being in Nox when a big goat thing on stilts jumped over me and screamed. With Dark Apocolypse being a waste of resource and space. That said, 'Gloomy Wood Alive' was by far the highlight of scarefest (I didn't do the mazes).
It was in fact, so good, that on the 3rd day I spent over 3 or 4 hours in Gloomy Wood and felt like it was 30 mins, so I think they should keep Gloomy Wood Alive. (possibly extending it into Haunted Hollow and making it longer) and revert to the old scarezones and add a third one.
They also need a free family maze like the ones at chessington.
Also could they not have a Haunted Hay ride in the gardens?
S.J_O'Grady

I don't think this forum's ever going to agree on the best style of scare zone!

I'm sure they'll at least keep GW Alive as it lies right in the middle of the kids entertainment and the zones/mazes.

Haunted Hayride in the gardens is a cool idea! I definatly think there's potential for an attraction in the gardens. I know there was a cancelled attraction called Midnight in the Garden of Evil, but was that ever confirmed to have supposed to have been in the actual gardens??
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Count-Vonduel

Sorry to double post but they could have a Hex themed hayride or they could theme it to Altonvill or have it themed around a breakout of the Sanctury Asylum or the prison where the Hamble Twins are locked up or maybe have it themed the Scary Tales. There's even some really good paths for it around Mutiny Bay and the Towers. The point I'm trying to make is that the idea could have some real potential.
KoasterKraver

Count-Vonduel wrote:Sorry to double post but they could have a Hex themed hayride or they could theme it to Altonvill or have it themed around a breakout of the Sanctury Asylum or the prison where the Hamble Twins are locked up or maybe have it themed the Scary Tales. There's even some really good paths for it around Mutiny Bay and the Towers. The point I'm trying to make is that the idea could have some real potential.
I hope the Hamble Twins return!
Aidan Lowe

xylyx wrote:Didn't they say somewhere that they already have plans for sub species 2? I doubt they'll be dropping the maze that got one of the best reactions they've had for a while.
It was Pete Cliff who said this but obviously that's when he was still working for AT as creative entertainments manager and while Scarefest was running last year.

But from him saying that not 6 months later he's in a new job so maybe we'll never see that particular rendition of Sub Species come to light.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
rolicoli8

The construction for the bridge exiting the Towers has started, looks like Sub Species is probably returning then! :D :D
rolicoli8

The scaffolding bridge has now been removed...
Liam.W

I was so confused today when the bridge wasn't there :lol
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

S.J_O'Grady

Oh? Anyone have any idea why? Seems a bit odd.
Adam.W

It was most likely a temporary one, perhaps they were doing something inside in preparation ;)
tcw1993

JonDoesTT wrote:
Arwen wrote:Anyway I hope, if the themes quite dark, they do something SW8 related. It would give us enthusiasts something to talk about over the closed season! ;) Also a good opportunity to establish it, hint.. Hint ;)
That's a good idea, but considering there's more non enthusiasts than there are enthusiasts, it might seem a bit odd for there to be a whole scarefest experience based on something that won't be around for another 2 years. It would confuse the non enthusiasts and probably a few enthusiasts, unless they hinted towards a link to SW8.
They did it with The Smiler on the Sanctuary though, and had SW7 blueprints on the que line videos [emoji1417]
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
Tom170499

tcw1993 wrote:
JonDoesTT wrote:
Arwen wrote:Anyway I hope, if the themes quite dark, they do something SW8 related. It would give us enthusiasts something to talk about over the closed season! ;) Also a good opportunity to establish it, hint.. Hint ;)
That's a good idea, but considering there's more non enthusiasts than there are enthusiasts, it might seem a bit odd for there to be a whole scarefest experience based on something that won't be around for another 2 years. It would confuse the non enthusiasts and probably a few enthusiasts, unless they hinted towards a link to SW8.
They did it with The Smiler on the Sanctuary though, and had SW7 blueprints on the que line videos [emoji1417]
And considering the area that SW8 will be in, it is unlikely that the ride will have a dark theme like The Smiler. A pirate/African village themed scare maze wouldn't be that great...
tcw1993

Sawboss wrote:That's a shame. I'd love for them to bring the Sanctuary back, definitely looked like my kinda thing.
The sanctuary was incredible. But it was a build up for the smiler originally and because they will be wanting to slowly brings people's attention to SW8 within the coming months/year I can't see them bringing it back personally, unless they tie it in with SW8? God knows. But yes it was very very atmospheric and more of a "mess with your head" maze than just jump scares which was different but effective, and the Actor that played Dr. Kelman was absolutely fantastic!
tcw1993

Adam.W wrote:It was most likely a temporary one, perhaps they were doing something inside in preparation ;)
The towers are closed for construction of the mazes. And I don't think it's fair to say sub species just because there's a bridge there. It could be anything :)
Dan

tcw1993 wrote:
Adam.W wrote:It was most likely a temporary one, perhaps they were doing something inside in preparation ;)
The towers are closed for construction of the mazes. And I don't think it's fair to say sub species just because there's a bridge there. It could be anything :)
Considering the part of Sub-Species that is inside the Towers never got taken down I think it's fair to say that's what it's for :)
Justin

Alton Towers have updated their Scarefest page.
Currently it is only a holding page until the mazes are confirmed, although tickets are now available to purchase for the mazes.

Here are the facts so far...

[*] Scarefest operates on selected October dates: 8th - 9th, 15th - 16th, 21st - 31st.
[*] There are 3 mazes and 2 scare zones.
[*] Maze tickets cost £20 (£16 for Annual Passholders) / £50 Combo with admission.
[*] The Alton Ancestors are back.
[*] The Freaky Four are back.
[*] Rides close at 9pm.