The Future Of Scarefest

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Just a quick reminder that confirmed details of this year's Scarefest can be discussed in this topic in the Alton Towers Resort General sub-forum.
Morgan

You'll have to forgive me for reviving such an old topic, but after experiencing the three Darkfield containers last week, would a more "theatrical theatre" type attraction work?

For those that haven't heard of Darkfield, their three shows/attractions are very simple. You're given a pair of headphones and shut in a room in total darkness for about half an hour- and that's it. It's a very psychological type of horror, but beautifully uncomfortable, and genuinely scary.

As for location, The Chapel springs to mind. It's a large space so you'd be able to fit lots of people in at once, and it'd be nice to see the space being used for an attraction again. In terms of access, you could enter via the main entrance to the room and leave via the little fire exit by the big bay window. The only issue with using The Chapel is the echoey nature of the room and potential light pollution (getting blackouts up to some of the high windows might be quite a challenge!), so you could essentially build a smaller room/set within the space to combat these.

But a bigger issue is more to do with the style of attraction. Each of the Darkfield containers were slow-burning affairs that lasted about 30mins each, and that would mean this style of attraction at Towers would have an abysmal throughput, unless they sacrificed the length and effectiveness of the piece. Of course, if they were to use The Chapel, this wouldn't be as much of an issue- but still an issue nonetheless. 
There's also the argument as to whether it's something Alton Towers would dare do as it's much more of a "show" than an attraction. Darkfield was very much a "niche" type of experience that might not appeal to the public, so they run the risk of having it flop.

Personally, I think it'd be great to have something so radically different like this to accompany and compliment the mazes, but the logistics of it is a bit fuzzy. Even if it never happens, let me dream :lol
Dom

As much as It would be great to see AT go into a different direction with its scare attractions, I don't think they actually need too. The way they have designed Scarefest works for them very well. They could in theory bring in the Darkfield 3 to offer an on resort line up and have it stay open later than the park. On resort attractions aren't new for Scarefest so it could be a way of doing it. There are 2 things that I would love added to Scarefest. I would love a big Halloween show. Yes, I know they already have a stage with some things on it, but I would love to see something aimed at the more mature audience. The second would be a more adult on resort offering, be it a hotel guest only scare attraction or just a retheme of Extraordinary Golf to monster golf. Just something a bit more Halloween would be great.