Alton Towers 1991, 1993 and 1997 bad years fo Alton?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Nemesis_140

I was looking at the history section of TT and i realised that lots of the rides closed during these years:
Does anybody know why lots of rides were removed during these years?
Dave

93 and 97 could possibly be to cut costs and make space for the arival of nemesis and oblivion :?
Squiggles

Hmm, well 1990 was the year Tussauds took over the park, and between 1991 and 1993 they set about re-orientating the park to their own needs, so a lot of fairground style rides were removed (Octopus, Tristar, Gravitron, etc.) also they revamped the kids sections of the park, so basically the whole of Adventureland 4-11 was also removed. other rides (doom and sons) became obsolete, and so were also removed, and some of the less then reliable rides also went (the mouse). Basically Tussauds cleaned out the park in order to start redevelopping it. (Its actually 1992 and 1993 when the park was turned on its head, for 1991 only two attractions closed)

Only 2 attractions actually closed at the end of 1997:the beast and miniapple; the list on TT isn't actually right (I'm currently in the process of updating it). The rowing boats closed at the end of 1996 and the last of the exhibitions in the land of makebelive/talbot street/cred street closed at the end of 1995.

I'm not sure why the miniapple closed, but I heard that the beast was shut due to complaints from the hotel guests.

In a top ten stylee for rides closing (counting rides removed over the closed season in the following seasons total), it goes something roughly along the lines of:

1993: 11 rides closed.
2004: 9 rides closed
1987: 6 rides closed
1992: 5 rides closed
1996: 4 rides closed

(These figures don't include ride rethemes, and might be one or two rides out)
Edwardo..... move me!
Roose

Wow 11 rides removed in 1993. Now we complain when 3 rides are removed. I'd like to see the raction of some of the members when 11 are removed!