Dreamland Margate

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Colossus

Hi All

I was down at Margate last Saturday after a long drive from the Midlands to attend the first volunteerd day, but it was it worth every second. 

I urge anyone who wants to volunteer email the below address with what you can help with.  We put EVERYTHING !!! :)

volunteers@dreamlandmargate.co.uk

Group shot

Gallery @ the Thanet Gazette

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/pictures/GALLERY-Dreamland-community-clean/pictures-20252606-detail/pictures.html

And I can confirm that the park will be run as a charity... Thanet council will be receiving a "peppercorn"
Themeparksandy1981

At the moment is the wooden rollercoaster the only thing left from the original theme park? Is there any other old ride on site. I never been here but would love to join the group for a Jolly Boys outing.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kimberley

Dreamland is going to feature on The One Show this evening:

Should certainly be interesting to see how things are coming along with the project :)
Thanks to Danny for the signature (:
Kimberley

Having just caught up with this, it was brilliant to see Dreamland open to the public once again. The programme was mainly coverage from this event, but also showed footage of Dreamland back in its heyday - it was really interesting to see the variety of rides back then in comparison to when I visited during my childhood! Information was also given about The Scenic Railway and how it works via the brakeman, which is always interesting :)

In addition to this, the presenters interviewed Wayne Hemingway MBE - the main designer involved in the project to restore the park back to its former glory. Not many details were given, but it is obvious how keen he is to bring Dreamland back, so this was wonderful to see as it is exactly what the project needs. Discussion involved the visions that he has for the park, things that people will be able to do there, and Margate itself.

Lastly, having checked up on Dreamland's Blog, they have been donated £25,000 from an art auction, which will contribute towards a Dreamland Visitor and Learning Centre at the Grade II*-listed arcade. I recommend having a look at their blog as they post all the updates on there :) All I can say is that I am so pleased that progress is finally being made after all the delays caused by the process of acquiring the site, and I can't wait until next year to visit again after all these years :D
Kimberley

Having been absent for a while, I hope everyone saw Dreamland on the news :) The video can be seen here and the relevant article here. It is brilliant to see how it is all progressing :D I may be getting a bit over-enthusiastic about this, but I am starting to get too excited to re-live my childhood!
Themeparksandy1981

Has anyone seen the designs for the new park http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-29542114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Also last month they started taking down the coaster and it's gonna take 10 months to rebuild. So the park must be planning on reopening for the 6 weeks summer holidays.
ponder

We have an opening date...

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news ... gin-33872/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kimberley

We're finally starting to see the park take shape, with the carousel and jets now in place :)

I really do love what they have done with these; the designs are beautiful - can't wait to see what they have done with the rest of the rides, especially the trains for the Scenic :)
Ladyofthelake

The BBC have published a nice video about the soon to re-open Dreamland park. It shows just how big an impact the closure of the park in 2004 had on the local area. One thing that stood out to me was how they're using alot of materials from the original park - including wood from the old Scenic Railway to make benches and tables - which I thought was a nice touch and nod to the heritage of the park. It's also interesting how they state how they are not trying to compete with parks like Thorpe Park and Alton Towers, rather they are aiming to offer a different experience.
Kimberley

I saw that the other day and was also really pleased to hear they were using the wood! Still disappointed I couldn't get myself one of the blocks they were giving away though :P

They've uploaded the first of a new series of videos on their Facebook page here, giving a view through timelapses at the restoration work they have been undertaking behind the scenes in addition to the Scenic :) Have loved what I've seen so far so I'm looking forward to seeing the rest!

The Big Wheel is also starting to go up:

It's lovely to see the park slowly returning to how I remember it to be, can't wait to return this summer :)

Credit goes to I <3 Dreamland, Margate Local & Family History and Dreamland for the images.
Dom

I do believe this has re-opened today, but from what i can tell, Sceneic Railways isn't opening yet.
scottwsmith

I went to Dreamland on Friday, and to say a few rides were not open; the atmosphere was absolutely fantastic.

I also recorded a video! It doesn't give you a complete experience because I kept forgetting to record:')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22dfY-ZOsw
Benb

Does anyone know the opening date for the Scenic Railway yet? Would love to visit when it does...
Dom

I believe they are just waiting on new trains for it. I would hazard a guess that it might be open by August, but that is only a guess.
Owen

Although we have Scarefest and FRIGHT NIGHTS...I have come across Dreamland Margate's annual scare event Screamland!

Screamland will be hosted from the 16th to the 31st of October and will run from 6PM too 11PM, making it one of the UK's longest Halloween Events! The charater seen in the image is known as "Punchinello" and is the main character from the Dreamlands scare event.

This event will host eight, yes eight scare attractions! Each rated at a different intensity level out of 5! So here is what you can find at the event...

Side Shows -

THE STRANGE SISTERS
Scare Factor 2

Set in a Romany Gypsy encampment, guests who cross their palms with silver can obtain real psychic crystal ball readings from one of the themed Strange Sisters.

Very interesting sounding attraction here! Sounds like it is family friendly.

MONSTROUS MENAGERIE
Scare Factor 2

A zany Victorian Menagerist with a collection of spiders, lizards and bugs, set to frighten the children (just a little bit).

Sounding very much like a 'creepy crawly show' fun for all the family!

STREET THEATRE & PUNCHINELLO
Scare Factor 2

As the main horror icon for Screamland, Punchinello – a twisted version of Mr Punch, is the key character for Screamland, who will take guests on a twisted journey though Screamland…the stuff of nightmares.

Not sure what to think of this...but Punchinello is undeniably creepy!

Scare Zone -

THE SCREAM MACHINE SCARE ZONE
Scare Factor 3

In an industrial hell-hole beneath the ‘Screamic Railway’ a mechanical monstrosity, known as The Scream Machine, powers the coaster above. Fuelled by fear, the living power station feeds on screams, and its swarm of grease monkeys must keep it fed at all costs.

The idea behind this sounds absolutely fantastic! In a way it reminds me of Monsters Inc. but I don't expect just to hear just a boo!

Scare Mazes -

ABRAMACABRE
Scare Factor 3
Ages 10+, Under 14's must be accompanied by an adult

Get lost in a magical mirror maze where the ghost of The Amazing Mystero, a celebrated Edwardian Magician, is prowling the passageways in search of his beastly bunny. But be warned…after escaping from Mystero’s top hat, the creature has transformed, as if by magic, into a monstrous Halloween horror!

Very interesting concept here - really liking the twist on the magician...if only I could pronounce it...

FESTINO'S FORGOTTEN FUNHOUSE
Scare Factor 4
Ages 14+, Under 16's must be accompanied by an adult

After fleeing from Coney Island beneath a dark cloud of mystery, Alonzo Festino and his motley hoard of freaks set up their Funhouse at Dreamland in 1913. Forgotten for over a century, the grotesque curiosities have endured, feasting on the careless who wander into their secret hideout. And now, Dreamland has been resurrected in all its former glory, and the old forgotten Funhouse has been discovered once again…

Very interesting here! I like the idea of something being found in the restoration and the cross park referencing...

DEAD & BREAKFAST
Scare Factor 5

It is the year 1941, and World War 2 evacuees are being sent from London down to Margate, to escape the horrors of the Blitz. Lillian Critchendon, landlady at Better Days Guesthouse, offers a sickening seaside welcome to all who check in to her decaying establishment. But the bombs keep on coming, and in the dark hallways of the hotel, the revenants of war-torn Britain are seeking vengeance for their undue demise.

I really like the splash of history this scare maze offers, it will be very interesting and terrifying!

THE FINAL CUT
Scare Factor 5

Step into the movies as you take the starring role in the greatest horror flick ever made. Collect your ticket for Horrorwood Picture House, and pass through the silver screen… Become part of the action in a surreal black and white dreamscape, where the cinematic horrors of yesteryear take on a whole new dimension.

It seems those who loves Studio 13 will still get to have a taste or the twisted movie set theme, just in black and white!

All these mazes sound absolutely amazing!!! Oh and did I mention every one of these mazes is free flow! No conga lines here, making you much more exposed to the insanity!

Tickets and Pricing

To access these experiences it will cost you will have to pay an entrance fee of £25 on the door (£20 early bird) and £5 per maze. Fast track is also available. Sideshows are free.

I recommend looking at the official Screamland mini site for more info on what dates the event is running and costs.
What do you think of this event?!

The Amazing Mystero will see you soon...
NemeJaney

Wow, all these new scare attractions look so good...a sign of Dreamland flourishing once again! Something which stood out to me was that, in the Final Cut, it will be black and white. This is something fairly different, and I can imagine them using this to make a really isolating, creepy effect.
Owen

Dreamland have now started an Annual Pass service!

The Dreamland Membership comes in two forms.

The Sprinkles

This membership offers you entry most of the year at off peak times. This pass is valid Monday-Friday and is invalid in school holidays and bank holidays.

The pass includes...
  • • Unlimited entry to the park throughout the year Monday – Friday (excl. Bank Holidays, School Holidays and Half Term)
    • Priority 24 hour advance ticket booking for a range of popular ticketed events
    • 10% off Dreamland Emporium goods and 10% off food and beverages
    • Monthly newsletter with upcoming events and news from Dreamland Margate
    • 10% off if you renew before your current membership is up. It will start from the day your current membership ends
This pass is fairly cheap - about a day ticket to a Merlun park.

• Individual Membership - £39.95

• Joint Membership (1 named adult and guest) - £59.95

•Family (One Adult) Group Membership - £89.95 (One Adult Group Membership is restricted to 1 adult and a maximum of 2 named children.)

• Family (Two Adult) Group Membership - £119.95 (Two Adult Group Membership is restricted to 2 adults and 2 named children.
If people wish to add additional children this is possible with bolt-ons. Each additional child is £10. Children under age of 3 come in for free. Membership is non-transferable.)

Or you can opt for what may be seen as the equivalent to a Preminum Annual Pass...

The Cherry On Top

This offered unlimited year round entry to the park.

Benefits include - benefits exclusive to this pass are in bold.
  • Unlimited entry to the park throughout the year Monday – Sunday
    • Priority 24 hour advance ticket booking for a range of popular ticketed events
    • 10% off Dreamland Emporium goods and 10% off food and beverages
    10% off additional tickets for friends who come to the park with you
    • Monthly newsletter with upcoming events and news from Dreamland Margate
    • 10% off if you renew before your current membership is up. It will start from the day your current membership ends
Pricing is again quite good.

• Individual Membership - £49.95

• Joint Membership (1 named adult and guest) - £69.95

• Family (One Adult) Group Membership - £99.95 (*One Adult Group Membership is restricted to 1 adult and a maximum of 2 named children.)

• Family (Two Adult) Group Membership - £129.95 (Two Adult Group Membership is restricted to 2 adults and 2 named children.
If people wish to add additional children this is possible with bolt-ons. Each additional child is £10. Children under age of 3 come in for free. Membership is non-transferable.)

More infomation can be found on the Dreamland Margate website.
Owen

A promo for each of the scare maze has been uploaded onto YouTube!

ABRAMACABRE

Festino's Forgotten Funhouse

Dead & Breakfast

The Final Cut

As well as a video with the composer of the Screamland music describing what to expect found here.

The more that is released about this event, the more amazing it sounds! Well done Dreamland!
Owen

Dreamland Margate wrote:What do you think it is?

Looks like the trains for the Scenic Railway have finally arrived! Who is going to ride this classic coaster when it opens pretty soon?!
Owen

Construction is well underway for the park's scare attractions, the below images are from SCAREtour and Dreamland.

Unknown (possibly Dead & Breakfast) -

The Final Cut -

The Final Cut is amazingly effective in that you are put into a black and white film, even more than what I first expected!

Dead & Breakfast -

Possibly one of, if not the heaviest themed maze the UK has ever seen. Every aspect of this so far looks so heavily looked at and detailed, it's really quite amazing!

Festinos Forgotten Funhouse -

Described as a 'huge maze' this is situated under a giant Big Top, with the entire maze covering the area of this big top. Said to be one of the biggest mazes in the UK, if not in Europe! It is also rumoured this maze will have various things typical of a funhouse throughly, such as uneven floor.

I think we can say Dreamland is a serious contender in the scare industry with this. Let's hope the acting is just as good as the theming!