What Next for Alton Towers Resort?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ladyofthelake

The past couple of months have been one of the toughest periods in Alton Towers Resort's history, with the impact of the events of 2nd June becoming apparent, and speculation continuing regarding what caused the accident - even though nothing can be confirmed regarding the causes of the accident until the HSE investigation is complete.

TowersTimes News recently looked at this impact, but also looked forward to what the Resort is doing to attract visitors back to the Resort, including the Towers Tastic Summer marketing campaign, a totally re-vamped Scarefest event, and a number of investments for future seasons - including the Rollercoaster Restaurant and the expansion of the Alton Towers Hotel.

Whilst it is clear that the impact of The Smiler accident will be felt for some time to come, it is good to see the Resort taking positive steps to re-gain public confidence, but also ensure they co-operate with the HSE's investigation.
Themeparksandy1981

Merlin really need to look at there parks mainly Alton Towers and say is this a good value for money. Like even if you have 2 for 1 vouchers,go in 1 car and bring your own food it's gonna cost a family of 4 £110. Now a family run theme park down the road charge £65 for a family of 4 with parking £68. I know the coasters don't match up to Alton Towers but your more likely to get on double the amount of rides.
Aidan Lowe

As much as I'd love Merlin to lower entrance fees or at least try and be competitive with the likes of Drayton Manor on family pricing to bring people back, we have to remember this is Merlin's flagship park and they own and need to maintain a lot more than Drayton Manor do.

Pricing isn't the issue. Media has got to the GP and it seems like people are just boycotting Alton Towers to a certain extent.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
stealthsmiler

I would have no problem with paying the entry fee for Alton Towers if I thought it was worth it. First of all the theming needs to be upped to make the park feel like true escapism. Second of all if you go as a thrill seeker, there isn't much theme park suitable for you apart from the big six. There needs to be more supporting flat rides that are thrilling.

I think if they brought back the magic making to Alton Towers so that their guests feel the magic again, that would help. There is only a few areas where this can still be felt, mainly in katanga Canyon.
Morgan

The whole concept of Alton Towers Magic is a very good one, and it could help re-build the park's reputation. The only magical areas I find a Katanga Canyon, Gloomy Wood and Forbidden Valley. X-sector, before the accident, was also quite something.
stealthsmiler

X sector used to be for me, however as soon as The Smiler was added I felt that it dominated the area too much and took the magic away. It's music is too loud for a start.
NemesisRider

I'm going to be honest here, members of the General Public who choose to boycott Alton Towers really need to do their research. Whilst I know and appreciate it is a horrible thing to happen at Alton Towers, there is a point where you need to move on. I myself will be on The Smiler as soon as it reopens (which I hope it will), I know that I'm in no more danger just because it had an incident.

I think guests are returning but this whole incident would have been easier and better for all involved if the media had not run damaging stories. Of course they will report it! But the things they did were not necessary.
xylyx

Katanga canyon does have an amazing atmosphere, always feel great when we hit that section. Personally I loved that domination by the smiler in X sector, that oppressive throbbing bass line and the demented chorus so inviting whilst being alarming. It is so strange going there atm with it being so quiet.

What next? Well we're nearly 3 months on from the accident and AT are doing their damnest to get people through the gates. Going on ridetimes, which admittedly is a very flawed indicator of popularity, it seems to be working. They have said that it's not really hurt the hotel bookings, and cbeebies land is always a hive of activity; I think there will be the gradual increase in visitors as we get further from 02/06, and if they can deliver on the promise of Scarefest they may well get the waverers back on side.
Sentri558

Honestly I wouldn't be amazed if they extended cbeebies land further towards Sonic/spinball/whatever it's called now. Whenever talking about the park, it seems to be the forgotten middle child, as such I believe it could be pretty easily removed, replace or rethemed.

The scary part is, that wouldn't really bother me.

I don't personally like Sonic. It's a bit of a laugh, but I personally don't enjoy waiting a decent queue for a mediocre ride, which is outclassed by RMT.

Alton Towers wont remove the ride. It's a selling point; it's good for kids, teens and adults. The issue is that it's undersold. Currently the only advertising going on for AT is for the hotel/enchanted village/cbeebies land. They should probably get some firm (or their in-house team) to re-sell Air/Nemesis/Rita/Oblivion/Th13teen to the public. Wouldn't be surprised if they were hesitant about advertising The Smiler.

Right now we also need to anticipate the opening of SW8. As far as I know it's presumed to be a woodie by either Gravity Group or Mack, I don't remember which one. If it can be sold to the GP then I believe (along with the Air and foodloop changes) that the entire FV should be re-sold or re-branded towards the GP.

Just my 2p