Walt Disney World - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It's today been confirmed that Toy Story Land will open on June 30th.

Justin

It does look to be a very nice addition, with great theming which is scaled to the ride. With Toy Story 4 planned as well, this will be a popular area!
Dom

Every time I see the Slinky Dog train it makes me smile. It just looks so happy (Yes I know its how it looks)
Justin

Slinky is a brilliant character to use as a rollercoaster :)
Robert.W

The opening of this latest expansion will certainly bring some much needed attractions to the park. And yeah, using Slinky for the coaster train is a very innovative way to incorporate that character! :)

Robert.W

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge construction update! I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

A couple of aerial pictures by @bioreconstruct on Twitter.

The rest of the pictures were taken by blogmickey.com.

And that's it! So, what do we think of the progress that's been made?

Robert.W

In addition to the above, some new pictures showing the construction of the new Toy Story Land have been posted by @bioreconstruct. I have to say, it's looking pretty good! :)

As well as that, construction of the Disney Skyliner is well underway, with supports and stations being built in various locations!

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Today has seen the release of some on-ride footage of Slinky Dog Dash, as well as a photo of Alien Swirling Saucers.

[youtube]Lsd3reB72Vo[/youtube]

abigsmurf

Slinky Dog looks to be a fairly solid family coaster. The train's long and heavy so I'd imagine you don't feel the main drops too much unless you're right at the back but it'll good for small kids and those not great with coasters to get to go on a launched one.

Interested in trying out these whip like carousels that Disney are putting in all their parks but their flat rides tend to have such massive queues for a tiny ride time.
Robert.W

It's looking good! Certainly seems like Slinky Dog Dash will be a fun little coaster suitable for all ages! 

Also, this article was a very interesting read, giving details about the new Star Wars hotel coming to Walt Disney World.

abigsmurf

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... actic.html

An update on Galaxies' Edge at Hollywood Studios. Looks like the First Order ride contains 2 life size, physical ATATs which should be something. 

They're still being a bit vague on what that ride actually is. There was lots of talk with it being a VR ride but I'm starting to suspect it's a return to the traditional Special effects shows like Twister and Backdraft, with a flowing, multi-room story like in Poseidon's Fury.

I'm heading to California at the end of 2019, fingers crossed both versions manage to open on time.
Robert.W

Star Wars Resort Location Confirmed 
Today we are happy to share the location of this exciting addition, which is currently under development on the south side of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, just east of World Drive. This location will allow the experience to be seamlessly connected to the highly-anticipate Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, enabling guests to fully immerse themselves in the story of Star Wars.

Source: Disney Park Blogs
Last edited by Justin on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Source and link added

Dungeon-X-Smile

I think this is an interesting move. I heard that there used to be an issue with Hollywood Studios where they didn't know whether their attractions should be similar to Universal's Tram Tour and be a behind the scenes look at film or whether it should be full emersion into film and media such as other classic Universal attractions. With the addition of this year's Toy Story Land and now Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, it seems now that they have decided to do the IP route. I guess the rise of IP based attractions was inevitable, but it does make me wander about what a Hollywood Studios would be like if they went the behind the scenes route. 
Robert.W

With a movie style theme park, there really it only two ways it can go. I'm very glad they've taken Hollywood Studios in the IP direction, no doubt inspired by the success of Universal's Wizzarding World of Harry Potter. These types of immersive, story driven experiences are much more marketable, and make a much more pleasant park to experience. 

If I were to guess what the behind the scenes concept would look like, I'd probably base it off of Walt Disney Studios in Paris and the original Hollywood Pictures Backlot area (now known as Hollywood Land) at Disney California Adventure. These areas have, or in the case of Hollywood Land, had, an abundance of thin, sparsely themed facades, plain bare walls, concrete and tarmac walkways, corrugated iron facades, etc., to put simply, they aren't / weren't at all very nice places to be, even if they were accurate to what they were trying to represent.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Today has seen a couple of announcements, the first being the release of a new image for Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway:

A first-of-its-kind new show called Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy has also been announced as coming in early 2019:
At Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy, located near Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, you’ll come face-to-face with racing legend Lightning McQueen, who is excited to showcase what he’s learned over the years with you – the next generation of rookie racers. Of course, as Lightning McQueen has discovered throughout his career, things don’t always go according to plan, and he has to think fast to get back on course. With friends Tow Mater, Cruz Ramirez and the gang from Radiator Springs on his side, Lightning gears up for the challenge.

abigsmurf

It's a bit vague is the Cars show is a live stunt show or a 4D show. Kinda hoping on the former as the Indiana Jones show is showing its age (the setup for the stunt scenes takes way too long). 

Really looking forward to the Mickey Ride. Looks they they're not using the old Great Movie Ride vehicles if that image is accurate (2 rows of 2.5seats per car). Guessing it won't be an 15+ minute long ride either so they'll probably fill up more trains, faster and get the capacity up. The Great Movie ride was second only to the ET ride for surprising you with its deceptively long queues.
Robert.W

Plans submitted for Star Wars Hotel

Disney have recently submitted plans for their new Star Wars themed hotel which have revealled where the hotel will be located as well as the general hotel layout and how guess will access Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. 

Guests will be able to walk from the hotel to a special entrance into Galaxy's Edge via a newly built pathway. The hotel itself will have a rectangular shape, and will be much smaller than most of the other Walt Disney World hotels.

The new hotel will be located just below Hollywood Studios, directly across from Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge.

abigsmurf

https://www.slashfilm.com/millennium-falcon-ride/

The millenium Falcon ride is having some pretty major issues with the interactivity and teamwork (or lack of) aspect. I'm not sure they how they didn't see those problems coming a mile away. Men In Black already suffers from these problems albeit only in a superficial way (but enough to ensure that of all the endings for the MiB ride, most people only see the worst)..
Swarm Chris

Oh dear! The concept sounds amazing, but I'm surprised the design team ever thought this would be a good idea for a Disneyland/World main attraction. Sounds like an amazing concept for a Downtown Disney/Disney Springs add-on experience for a group of friends. But random people with varying interest in the interactive side, plus the knock on effect it has on your visit to Galaxies Edge. Have these people never played an online game? People get angry over the slightest fault of someone else. This will generate complaints like nothing else in the park.

The only way I can see this working is to put it more on-rails or have a cast member on each piloting like Jungle Cruise, making each guests role less important. Plus such a low throughput, whilst elsewhere they're planning for Galaxies Edge to be the largest draw of people to the parks in a long time, is pretty crazy.

I love Disney and Star Wars, but I really get the feeling they've rushed into a lot of stuff with Star Wars, without thinking things through fully.
abigsmurf

The queues are going to be insane, consistently above the 3 hours mark if that capacity is accurate, all for a 3 1/2 minute ride that could be spoilt because you had a 7 year old who couldn't speak English as a pilot and the whole flight was spent with you scraping along a wall or flying in a circle.  What if the ride is unreliable too? They'll basically be programming in a full video game engine in a relatively small space of time, likely using a team that doesn't have that level of experience. 

My understanding was that this ride was always the secondary ride to the mega-budget battle ride/show/whatever it is but Disney must be well aware of just how huge of a draw the promise to fly the millenium falcon is, this was never going to be the secondary ride to the public. They've got 10 months to fix it or else they will get an absolute mountain of bad press and social media reactions. Not sure what they can do about the capacity, it's way too short notice to do something like double the floorspace or add another floor.

Star Wars is spluttering a bit at the moment, the less said about The Last Jedi, the better but I've much more faith in Disney's imagineers than their film division. Here's hoping they've got some solutions to these problems up their sleeve or else this could end up having the worst reception for a Disney ride since Superstar Limo.