RollerCoaster Tycoon 3

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Danny

Challenge 3: The Results

Thank you to scw55 and ILC for taking part. Here are the results and your comments.

Scw55: Symbiotic
Thrill factor: 4
Looks: 4
re- rideability: 3
backstory: 3
Splitting coaster: 2
Space/jungle theme: 2
Excitement rating 4+: 2
Flat ride: 2
Realistic: 3
Intensity: 3
Enjoyable: 3
Theming/ scenery: 4

Total: 35

Scw55: over the past few challenges, your coasters have improved immensely. I can see that you have taken my critique and advice to improve them, and I'm really impressed. Your backstory is strong but clear inspiration from the king. Your theming is brilliant and the makes for some good near misses. You picked in my opinions the hardest coaster on the list and used it very well. Well done!

Ilovecoasters: Space flight test
Thrill factor: 4
Looks: 4
re- rideability: 4
backstory: 2
Bobsled coaster: 2
Space/jungle theme: 2
Excitement rating 4+: 2
Flat ride: 2
Realistic: 3
Intensity: 3
Enjoyable: 4
Theming/ scenery: 1

Total: 33

ILC, here you have used a hard coaster type, and made a very thrilling ride out of it. There aren't many around and looks a very fun ride. I like how it is a dark ride and would massively add to the experience of being in space. Your flat ride was a good choice and compliments the theme. However with barely any theming or scenery this is where your score lets you down. Your backstory is also still very brief. However it looked a fun realistic ride which I would happily ride in real life. Well done!

This weeks scoreboard:
Scw55: 35
ILC:33

Overall scoreboard:
Scw55: 100
ILC:91
TRM: 53
Nickifan:34
Loopydan:33
Pizzazz:33

Congratulations. Your next challenge shall be posted shortly! :)
Danny

Challenge 4: Intamin Mad

Welcome to Challenge 4! Your objectives this week is:
Intamin made coaster
Minimum height of 150ft
Must have an underground section

Good luck!
scw55

I already know what coaster I am using >: )
Last edited by scw55 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

Hi Danny, just wondering when the due date is for challenge 4?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
scw55

Name - Temple Of The Northern Winds
Type - Custom Intamin Impulse Coaster

Story - It is said; upon the slopes of the valley locked in ice, sits the temple that houses the Northern Winds. The winds are known to be as cold and ruthless as Winter itself. Severely protective of their home, the winds will steal away all trespassers. Approach traveller if you dare, for you will be buried deep beneath the frozen ground.

POV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDhtXOeihhs

Pictures -

Additional information - This use of coaster type is feasible because "Volcano: The Blast" exists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcano,_The_Blast_Coaster
Danny

Hi guys
The deadline is Thursday at 7pm. As I'm on holiday you will have a guest judge who has been given all advice on he to mark as accurately as possible.
Good luck and I'll be back Sunday :)
Jayvk_

think im gonna have a go at this next time
Burniel

Challenge Entry - Devil's Coaster: Escape from Hell

Dear guest judge,
I apologise. Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 does not support the experience I have attempted to create. As a result, it may be very difficult to mark. Had I known there was going to be a guest judge when I started building, I probably would not have done anything like this.

Rider enter a dark land, were a figure covered in blood greets them, and forces them into a lift. The lift takes them underground, where they walk along, looking at scenery and scary pictures. A man walks up to them.

"You must get out of here! Use this rollercoaster! There is an exit back on ground level!"

Guests jump on and the bars come down and lock. The devil runs in.

"I told that foolish man that there was a rollercoaster. I didn't tell him it wasn't finished!"

Riders are launched out the station, above ground, over banking and dipping. They rollback on a particularly tall hill, and are sent backwards back into the station.

Upon arriving in the station, they find the devil gone, but the old man telling them the devil had gone and to run to the lifts. Unfortunately, the devil is waiting for them halfway, and chases them there.

Riders make it to the lifts, and head up. They are chased by the bloody figure out of the park.

Pictures:
Lift:
Shots of the coaster:

Click here to watch an on-ride POV
Altontowersbarlow

Hi guys. I will be your guest judge for tonight :) I have really enjoyed viewing the entries so far and I am looking forward to marking any further entries :) ILC you don't need to apologise. Your roller coaster is perfectly acceptable for the challenge and as you know I am familiar with RCT3 and know how difficult it can be :) Remember the deadline is tonight at 7.30 and thank you for all your entries! :)
Thank You
ATB :)
Altontowersbarlow

Challenge 4 results
SCW55- Temple of the northern winds
Thrill factor:3
Looks:4
Re-ride-ability:3
backstory:4
intamin:2
Minimum  Height 150ft: 2
Underground section 2
Realistic:4
Intensity:3
Enjoyable:4
Theming /scenery:4
Total:35

Well done! :) This ride had a brilliant back story with theming that matched. The underground section was unnoticeable because of the elaborate themeing and scenery above it which made it more effective. You used a less common Intamin model which showed how ambitious you were with this ride :)

ILC - Devils coaster
Thrill factor:4
Looks:3
Re-ride-ability:4
backstory: 2
intamin: 2
Minimum  Height 150ft: 2
Underground section 2
Realistic:4
Intensity: 4
Enjoyable:4
Theming /scenery:2
Total:33
This roller coaster was very ambitious and included two parts which made the ride more exciting. The track layout was fantastic and I would be happy to see this ride built in the future :) The walkthrough creation was a nice idea and added to the experience :)

So this means Scw55 wins this week. Congratulations :) ILC your coaster was brilliant as you can see as there are only two points between you!
Thank You
scw55

Is it possible to extend the contest duration by a week? So we have a fortnight before the deadline.

It would help us produce more polished entries and perhaps encourage more people to take part.
Personally I find the week deadline quite tight.
Burniel

I agree, we recently have had only 2 entries per week, and even I finished my coaster this morning in a rush. It could have been a lot better with another week.

I know this will be a decision for Danny, however
scw55

I wasn't entirely happy with my last two entries, but I submitted them anyway due to deadlines.

My Splitting Coaster wasn't complete theme-wise. And it didn't synchronised properly at the end.
My Impulse coaster could have had a prettier exterior. If I had the time, I would have actually tried to see if I could apply Custom supports (instead of building the theming around the in-game auto one) .

And since the last two contests we've only had two entrants, it did feel like people weren't interested/couldn't commit.

It'd be a shame if people didn't enter because they didn't have time.
-
Next two contests (if weekly) won't be too bad for me because I have half-term. But I'd rather have more freedom as to how to spend my time during half-term.
I enjoy RCT3 immensely. But it's quite draining trying to produce a high-quality micro-project weekly.
I think the extra week would allow extra breathing room, more time to think about ideas, and give space for unforeseen interferences.
Altontowersbarlow

Ilovecoasters wrote: I agree, we recently have had only 2 entries per week, and even I finished my coaster this morning in a rush. It could have been a lot better with another week.

I know this will be a decision for Danny, however
Thank you for your feedback. I will do my best to encourage danny to this but it could be better if you drop him a PM :)
Thank you
Danny

Hi guys,
I do apologise for not being here but I'm still on holiday! I'd like to say a MASSIVE thank you to ATB for being our guest judge, didn't he do well?! :)
Right after listening to feedback I am extending the next challenges deadline to a two week period. This is a test. If I feel it's too long and no new entries are made it will be shortened. I'll post the nest challenge on Sunday when I return from the USA.
Well done everyone :)
Danny

Challenge 5: The World Breaker
Welcome to Challenge 5. This week I'd like to challenge you all to see how well you can include inversions in to your ride without them just being there for the sake of it. I want the inversions to vary and to be as compact as possible. You may choose to use any type of ride in RCT3, however, you must choose wisely, don't forget that the inversions are the main aspect I'll be looking for. Here are your objectives:
Your ride must have 15 inversions, no more, no less.
Top speed of 65mph
Include a launch

You will have two weeks to complete this task. Two weeks today will be the deadline. Remember I want it to be compact. Use the Smiler as inspiration. The more compact the better!
Good luck
Burniel

Hi Danny,

Having just started my track layout, I have a clear 15 inversions, but the game counter says I have 14. If there is a countable 15 in my POV, will I get the credit despite what the game stats say?
Danny

Ilovecoasters wrote: Hi Danny,

Having just started my track layout, I have a clear 15 inversions, but the game counter says I have 14. If there is a countable 15 in my POV, will I get the credit despite what the game stats say?
By inversions I mean track inversions, I know there is some confusion with certain rides and what counts as an inversion or not. As long as the track inverts that's fine :)
scw55

I think two weeks will be great, as I feel a bit of time will be spent "conceptualising" ways of squeezing in as many inversions in "one center piece", as well as maybe pulling from previous experience sweet inversion use.
-
I must say, I've never had so much fun playing RCT3 since the end of summer.
Last edited by scw55 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

I'm glad your happy with the two week deadline. Thank you, I'm glad your enjoying participating in these challenges :)