Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
John

Its about time vikingar was removed, its been sitting there for ages, they should have got rid of it as soon as valhalla opened - theres no way any water ride could survive in the shadow of arguably the best dark ride and the best water ride.

Shame though, I used to love that ride.
Water chute/vikingar you shall be missed :cry:

Slightly changing the subject, what exactly is the whip? I've never seen it despite having been going to BPB for the past 12 years.
Anonymous

There's also rumoured to be a biggie ride for 2007, isn't there? Although that's all hush-hush at the moment.
Nah not anymore because of what happened to Geoffrey Thompson. Its believed that all the future plans are what he had planned but they are only just coming to life now. Its supposedly going to happen in 2010.

Vikingar is nearly fully taken down, not many people expect a new ride to replace it.

We are supposed to be seeing a new flat ride for 2006 on turtle chase's sight, its apprently going to be a UK first.

And finally they are supposed to be getting a water coaster in 2007 in the place of the Log Flume which will start being removed after August Bank Holiday.

Being a member of BPB forums helps out :wink:
Steighvo

I went to BPB not long ago and rode Spin Doctor after riding a travelling version at a fair. The travelling version kicked Spin Doctor's ass! its appauling compared to the travelling one. The height the speed and the length all shrivvel in comparison to the travelling one! :(
Touch my beans... said the man!
John

Noooooooo not drench falls! Thats the best log flume I've ever been on.
Rumours of its removal came up a couple of years ago, I was beginning to think (and hope) they weren't true.

Having said that, a new water coaster sounds cool
Squiggles

[quote=""Bicko101""]
And finally they are supposed to be getting a water coaster in 2007 in the place of the Log Flume which will start being removed after August Bank Holiday.
[/quote]

I think that was the biggie Kaycee was referring to. BPB don't get (decent) rides in very often, but when they do they do it in style.

The other thing no one has mentioned is the addition of seat belts to the Big Dipper and Roller Coaster. Tis a mighty shame!
Edwardo..... move me!
Anonymous

I thought the whole reason that Rollercoaster had that award.damn, what's it called now, the special status, the 'classic' coaster status (it's gone) was because it had no restraints (and it's dead old)? Such a shame. Why have they got to do that then?

They've been running for donkey's years without them.
John

What? Restraints on the rollercoaster and big dipper. That's totally pointless, they have signs everywhere saying do not stand up, if you stick to that then its impossible to fall out, its hard enough to get out when the trains in the station, its quite a step up to get off. The lack of restraints makes the ride far more exciting, it would feel to 'safe' with restraints which ruins the point of a woodie.

What are the people at BPB thinking? It looks like they're systematically destroying their heritage (or maybe I'm just overreacting, who can say?).
buggy

[quote=""MikeB""]I hope spin doctor isn't removed from bpb. The throughput isn't great but the ride is fantastic.
If you are loaded up first you have to go up to the top and wait till the other end has been loaded, the first time i did this i was a tad nervous as all you can see is a massive drop on both sides! When the ride is at full speed the pods go upside down several times, sometimes and you are heading down, making it feel like your going to hit the ground.
Hope it doesn't go but that bridge can get mighty crowded at times and i can see where health and safety are coming from.[/quote]

The bridge has always looked pretty solid when i've seen it, i don't think H&S has anything to do with the removal, apparently it's down to it's throughput and the fact is not coping well with the conditions, and possibly to make room for something else.

ACE coaster classic kaycee.
Anonymous

Spin Doctor not really made for a park which has strong winds and the capacity is far to low so BPB dont really want to keep it because the queue gets to long and the arms are always messing up because of the weather. I think it will run intil sold.
Lightwater valley rules

Yeah it is running untill its sold. When im there the arms usually just swing around freely. hmm werid. their good rides but have completely stupid capacity + loading is too slow. I recon they will get a S&S skyswat next year but cant be sure.
Next trip to Lightwater valley = 29th october
Squiggles

I would have though a Sky Swat would run into similar problems as Spin Doctors have. (except capcity of course)
Edwardo..... move me!
Williscroft

It would be nice if another english park brought it. Shame though as it looks so good at Blackpool either side of the bridge. Are there any other models of the ride, say one with double the capacity :?:
CGM

Yes, but these look very wierd and I'm not sure if they're as good
Squiggles

[quote=""Kaycee-TTF""]I thought the whole reason that Rollercoaster had that award.damn, what's it called now, the special status, the 'classic' coaster status (it's gone) was because it had no restraints (and it's dead old)? Such a shame. Why have they got to do that then?

They've been running for donkey's years without them.
[/quote]

I think what they are doing will not affect its status as an Ace Coaster Classic, though don't quote me on that, as a seatbelt could be classed as "restraint or device that restricts the freedom to slide from side to side".

I assume the reason they are adding them is because it means that if a rider feels the need to throw themselves from the ride, then it can be proven it is the riders fault not the parks, as the rider will have chosen to undo their safety belt.
Edwardo..... move me!
Squiggles

[quote=""williscroft""]It would be nice if another english park brought it. Shame though as it looks so good at Blackpool either side of the bridge. Are there any other models of the ride, say one with double the capacity :?:[/quote]

I would be nice, but there aren't really any parks where such a tall ride would receive planning permission, in fact the only UK park I can think of which could build such a tall ride would be, umm, BPB.
Edwardo..... move me!
Nathan

[quote=""Squiggles""][quote=""williscroft""]It would be nice if another english park brought it. Shame though as it looks so good at Blackpool either side of the bridge. Are there any other models of the ride, say one with double the capacity :?:[/quote]

I would be nice, but there aren't really any parks where such a tall ride would receive planning permission, in fact the only UK park I can think of which could build such a tall ride would be, umm, BPB.[/quote]

BPB cant build too high because Blackpool airport is not far away
Squiggles

Well, they can build pretty high, considering that they have two rides which are over 200ft, which basically no other UK park can really do. (Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but they are unusual cases)
Edwardo..... move me!
Lightwater valley rules

hmmm. i dought the airport affects anything in blackpool, they have blackpool tower aswell rember, plus as squiggles said the park already had 2 over 200ft rides.

When i made my last post i said an s&s skyswat, now i just rembered they said a uk first. lol. Blonde moment. does anyone know of a thrill ride not currently in the uk witch would fit blackpool?
Next trip to Lightwater valley = 29th october
Squiggles

Topple Tower? That would probably nicely fit on the Turtle Chase site.
Edwardo..... move me!
buggy

[quote=""Squiggles""]Well, they can build pretty high, considering that they have two rides which are over 200ft, which basically no other UK park can really do. (Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but they are unusual cases)[/quote]

which 2, i was thinking of PMBO and ice blast, but i thought ice blast was 180ft?