Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
PhNx Survivor

Whoa.. 15 minutes.. must be a very slow news day for the media..
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Joel Allen

Time for me to bang my head against the table... i'll be right back.
Sawboss

PhNx Survivor wrote:Whoa.. 15 minutes.. must be a very slow news day for the media..
Thousands of riders stuck on Stealth ride for over a minute throughout the day!
PhNx Survivor

Sawboss wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:Whoa.. 15 minutes.. must be a very slow news day for the media..
Thousands of riders stuck on Stealth ride for over a minute throughout the day!
Haha, yeah that’s just from boarding the train :lol it’s an emergency!! Next they’ll be making headlines for someone finishing last on Steeplechase
nicky.borrill

So it stopped on the second launch? All mirror overdramatisation aside, that is an odd place for it to stop. Anybody know why it stopped so short on the second launch when it should be carrying enough momentum without the LSM’s to make the end of that straight? Are there brakes there that kicked in? Did it roll back there from the immelmann? 

EDIT: I Just relaised this was on the 26th... I got 16 rides on it on the 24th and 9 rides on it on the 25th... It did cease operation at one point, and they were testing it without it clearing the top hat and rolling back on the first launch several times. But I believe this is fairly common on the first launch during testing???
streetmagix

The second launch acts as a block brake, if the computer thinks the next section isn't clear then it'll stop the train there. Despite being short the second launch straight can accelerate the train fast enough to clear the second half of the circuit. All double launch coasters have this feature, it's just very rare to see it!
nicky.borrill

streetmagix wrote:The second launch acts as a block brake, if the computer thinks the next section isn't clear then it'll stop the train there. Despite being short the second launch straight can accelerate the train fast enough to clear the second half of the circuit. All double launch coasters have this feature, it's just very rare to see it!
Thanks streetmagix, of course it does, not sure why I forgot that when I’ve seen it launch a train up launch 1 while there is still a train meandering the second half after launch 2 so many times, I’m an idiot sometimes  :lol (most of the time)
Coaster Chall

streetmagix wrote:
MakoMania wrote:Also, Nick Thompson said at the press event today that the park will be adding "about" 3 significant new rides in the next 7 years.
I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere that the plan was for Mack to deliver at least 2 more rides for Pleasure Beach (so 3 rides in total including ICON). I guess this adds some truth to that rumour. I'm intrigued to see what they add next, I doubt all 4 rides are going to be rollercoasters!
I think if Mack was to do 2 more rides it'll probably be a Big Dipper Coaster (Lost Gravity) and either a new dark ride system in the Bowl O Drome Site and probably a Sea Storm, a Caterpillar style family ride or a new style thrill ride. As for the last remaining one, it'll be a thrill ride
MakoMania

It seems that demolition of the Bowl-a-Drome (possibly the entire building or just the facade, hard to tell) is well underway.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
scruffy_

Any photos?
nicky.borrill

It hasn’t been demolished Scruffy. At least not yet. Looks like they’re just removing the facade that was damaged in the storm in October. 
Sozzy40

Well, Grand National now holds the record for most naked people on a rollercoaster:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... iding.html
Very interesting. They must have been freezing!
I can see why the beornen worship Wicker Man
Bert

I would hate to be the guy who checks the restraints on that ride...
[Insert Signature Here]
Swarm Chris

I'm sure they can just burn those trains now.
Gavinr

They're not lying when they say you can get soaked on Valhalla!
I really enjoyed Icon but I did find a lot of their other rides to be rather uncomfortably rough.
PhNx Survivor

Gavinr wrote:They're not lying when they say you can get soaked on Valhalla!
I really enjoyed Icon but I did find a lot of their other rides to be rather uncomfortably rough.
Bear in mind, that a lot of the rides at Blackpool were made before the mid 1940s to 50s.. so the fact Grand National is going to be 85 years old next year. And Big Dipper is 97 next year.. think a bit of roughness for a coaster that's almost 100 years old is to be expected :lol

Although the Big Dipper has had a lot of alterations from the original design, so it could be argued of its age I guess.

Although it's quite interesting to know that the Flying Machine is going to be 116 years old next year :P
Wagstaff04

I’m going to Blackpool this summer (very late July), so I was just wondering what rides we should do in what order. My mum is adamant on dragging us all on Alice, so that must be included. 
abigsmurf

The park's full of rare and unique rides, do as much as you can, even the rides that seem like they'd be rubbish are fun.

The Alice in Wonderland ride is fun because it's so tacky (and the weird choice of music). Plus it's insanely trippy.
Gavinr

I somehow missed that there was an Alice in Wonderland ride :-( would've been nice to go on.

Yeah, I do realise some of the rides are old, but at some point I stop finding them enjoyable! I did enjoy my day there though, so it didn't spoil the trip.
Mikw

I's suggest once on all the coasters, intesperesed with regular goes on Icon to recover!

Make sure you do the Ghost train as well, it's historic and fun. Valhalla is a must as well, you'll probably get soaked but you'll dry off quikcly if it's a nice day