Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Justin

Icon is currently my No.2 after Wicker Man. The Smiler takes 3rd.

Icon is a great ride, but the launches are not as fast as I was expecting. What must be remembered is the interactions with the other iconic rides in the park. The station is really nice, especially with the automatic baggage hold, but I don't like the open control booth.

I think we rode 5 times, but I must admit, the front is the best. We also rode the back on a number of occasions but not the middle.
Justin

Does anyone fancy a Wild Mouse car?
£3000 - Proceeds to charity! :)

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wild-Mouse-Car ... r=1&_rdt=1
nicky.borrill

Have you seen this???

Now I’m all for nostalgia and history... But when it comes to RMC, think that goes out the window  :lol
nicky.borrill

Justin wrote:Icon is currently my No.2 after Wicker Man. The Smiler takes 3rd.

Icon is a great ride, but the launches are not as fast as I was expecting. What must be remembered is the interactions with the other iconic rides in the park. The station is really nice, especially with the automatic baggage hold, but I don't like the open control booth.

I think we rode 5 times, but I must admit, the front is the best. We also rode the back on a number of occasions but not the middle.
Off to ride it (ICON) for first time on Monday... Nemesis still my top UK, then Swarm, then Wicker, Then Smiler and then I can’t decide between about 4 different rides. :lol Can’t wait to find out where this will feature.
abigsmurf

nicky.borrill wrote:Have you seen this???

Now I’m all for nostalgia and history... But when it comes to RMC, think that goes out the window  :lol
The entire track and station are Grade II listed. It would be almost impossible to get permission to do anything other than maintenance or safety improvements.
Michelle

Seeing so many varying opinions on Icon is really interesting.

I found the ride to be slightly underwhelming, it's no doubt a great addition to the UK coaster line up and I'm really pleased that Blackpool are the ones to have built this.
I think that unfortunately I was always going to compare Icon to Helix, and it never stood a chance of being anywhere near as good, so that's a shame, I think I would have enjoyed it more having not ridden Helix first. ( That said, I am so excited that they've brought the baggage hold system to this ride, I still think it's the best system I've seen :lol)

Unlike other people who enjoy the way the ride interacts with the legacy rides, I personally find the landscape far too overwhelming now and I find the contrast of old/new very jarring visually, but that's just me :lol

TL:DR - good solid ride, not the best ever but a great addition to the UK, Wicker Man wins by miles for me.
JC13

I’ve been at BPB again today, think Icon is my number 1 in the UK now. I love the whole ride, and the soundtrack pushes it to the number 1 in the UK for me now
Ryan.B

It's downright fun and rerideable, and I love it. best airtime in the UK, best trains, good length, inversions, near misses etc. I can run round again and again. Nemesis is the only other ride in the country I enjoy marathoning really, but towers on a busy day makes it hard, and i hate the fact the queue gets stopped after the bridge for fasttrack.  Icon tops it due to the fact i can relax, Nemesis I can't.
PhNx Survivor

nicky.borrill wrote:Have you seen this???

This is incrediblely impressive and would be amazing! However.. I do think Grand National should receive the GCI treatment, and Big Dipper to receive the RMC treatment instead..

However saying that if if were to be the other way I still wouldn’t complain :)
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
nicky.borrill

Well I went today, and before I go off on one let me just say I did get to ride Icon, once, by sheer luck.

People complain about Towers downtime and operations!!! Before setting off we checked their ride status page to make sure ICON was running, it was, but the big one is down for 3 days maintenance, no biggy, we thought. 

Got to the park and was told, Icon also down until later due to an issue. Kept checking the host at the entrance, nothing until by sheer luck we walked past around 1(ish) to see him opening the gate, we jumped on and got on the first ride of the day (after testing a few trains) great... ran round for another go and whilst waiting in the station bam, ride down again. Didn’t open all day after that, they gave up working on it around 2pm, just gave up. Yes I’m aware that there was probably a fault that required outside help, but they did not relay that at all to the GP, just kept saying won’t be open today... At least we got to ride it, 3 trains of people must have gone around, just 3, so lots missed out and guest services had a busy day. The ride stopped in the launch area (same place the staff were pushing an empty train back from earlier in the morning) but with people on who were stuck there for a very long time. So could have been worse, could have been stuck, or not ridden at all, but still not a lot of luck with our visit today.

Now that’s been said, great great ride, rode the back seat, lots of air time, lots of hang time, plenty of force despite reports of a slow ride, didn’t seem slow to me. Really good. Can’t say much more until I’ve rode it a few more times, which I will, next week. :)
Bert

I dunno if anyone knows yet but markings have been found around the Trauma Towers area. Rumours are saying this could be some sort of setup for a show later this season, a new flat or a Mack Rides BigDipper.
[Insert Signature Here]
PhNx Survivor

I would assume that the show setup will be there.. however I do also think these markings will be for a new attraction(s) next year.

Think they realise it was a big lose for the Wild Mouse as it was one of the only 3 in the world left. A new flat would be very welcome in my opinion
Bert

There are definitely plans for a BigDipper but it was supposed to be built if Icon was a huge success but it hasn’t really been too much.
[Insert Signature Here]
Justin

Has it not? Have gate numbers been released?

I wouldn't have gone to Blackpool if Icon wasn't installed and I am sure many others would not have visited too.
PhNx Survivor

I was gonna say.. when I’ve been there 3 times this year Icon always had a big queue, and was constantly full.

I would of assumed Icon is one of the most successful rides at BPB considering its had mostly positive feedback, wouldn’t say it beats the big one or Valhalla possibly but it’s definitely up there
nicky.borrill

Been to Blackpool just to ride Icon, got 2 more trips planned this year... Wouldn’t be going at all if it weren’t for Icon.
LittleReidy

Recommendations please - planning a trip to Blackpool, I’ve never been before and need a recommendation for a hotel (something that won’t break the bank preferably)
Melissa
Instagram - GingerFreckledGirl
Blog - www.GingerFreckledGirl.Wordpress.com
PhNx Survivor

LittleReidy wrote:Recommendations please - planning a trip to Blackpool, I’ve never been before and need a recommendation for a hotel (something that won’t break the bank preferably)
There are a good few B&B’s around the area of Blackpool more towards the Big Blue Hotel, they can be reasonably cheap dependant on month and events.

Used to go there a lot when I was younger and are good for a 1 or 2 nights stay.
ROYJESS

LittleReidy wrote:Recommendations please - planning a trip to Blackpool, I’ve never been before and need a recommendation for a hotel (something that won’t break the bank preferably)
Jess and I usually stay at the Travelodge South Promenade, cheap and cheerful, no frills. It looks over the Pleasure Beach if you get given the right room.  Parking is expensive, but you can park down one of the side roads for free.  Look out for special deals as they can have them on offer. Depending on what time of the year your stay, our up and coming stay cost us £114 for the week, which is less than staying at the Alton Resort Enchanted Village just for one night.