Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
dazza4783

Looks like pleasure beach have been taking advertising tips from Merlin.

Source: https://winiconride.co.uk/
XtremeCoasters Rick

I guess its a way of getting people talking about it. People in the know will discuss how wrong that is, others will discuss how they must go as its a world first. Win win situation really. 
Gentlemen, start your engines !!
MakoMania

The image was put out by a promoter and not BPB themselves, Amanda has tweeted to say that it is wrong.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
dazza4783

Surely they couldn't have put it out without someone at Pleasure Beach checking and Okaying it. It is most likely a publicity stunt to cause a bit of controversy and get people talking about it. Then pass it off as a mistake to get around any false advertising claims. Definitely "inspired by" Merlin's marketing techniques.
MakoMania

dazza4783 wrote:Surely they couldn't have put it out without someone at Pleasure Beach checking and Okaying it. It is most likely a publicity stunt to cause a bit of controversy and get people talking about it. Then pass it off as a mistake to get around any false advertising claims. Definitely "inspired by" Merlin's marketing techniques.
It was a mistake, people have been told off today :P
XtremeCoasters Rick

Icon's official "Dare To Ride" television commercial:

[youtube]gWllIs4ciRY[/youtube] 
Gentlemen, start your engines !!
Justin

It reminds me of an Esso advert!

I am looking forward to riding it later on in the though!
Robert.W

Justin wrote:It reminds me of an Esso advert!
Hahaha yeah, I see what you mean! 

Looks like a great coaster though, although sadly I won't be riding it this year.

MakoMania

I'm so excited to ride tomorrow morning, I really hope the ride is excellent.
MakoMania

Words cannot describe Icon, it destroys every other ride in the UK. It's so comfortable, the restraints are so free, so much airtime (floater and ejector) even in areas that you wouldn't expect. Every element delivered to the max, there's so little time to process what's going on, it's relentless. Absolutely stunning ride, hasn't quite beaten Mako to my number 1 spot, but it's god damn close.
Dan

Based on what I’ve seen from multiple people on social media, it seems Icon has had nothing but positive reviews so far.

It certainly does look to be a high quality attraction, and just reading these reviews makes me want to ride it even more, sadly I have to wait until August :cry:
MakoMania

The general consensus is that towards the front and towards the back are better than in the middle of the train, which seems to be normal on most coasters.

Haven't heard anyone who hasn't said that it's the best coaster in the UK after riding. Personally, this is my first Mack launch coaster but I can say that it is far superior to Rita, Stealth and even Cheetah Hunt.

Spoke to a few people who have done most of the Mack launchers, everyone seemed to agree that it is better than Blue Fire but most could not yet decide between Icon and Helix.

These reviews are coming from early morning mostly half full rides as well. Think what it's going to be like after a long, hot day at the 10pm closes in the summer! It's gonna haul!
PhNx Survivor

So.. better than Wicker Man?

I only ask this since people believe Icon is better, or Wicker Man is better.. more opinions the better :P
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Robert.W

When you compare the complete experiences with each other, I think Wicker Man will just come out on top of Icon, simply because it's so much more than just a coaster. It's something unique that will stick in people's minds, whereas Icon, whilst it will be remembered as a simply fantastic coaster, it may just not have that edge that I think Wicker Man has. Obviously, this is just my own viewpoint, and everyone has a different opinion and has different tastes and preferences. I also haven't been on Icon.

MakoMania

Icon is much better than Wicker Man.

Although Wicker Man has better theming, Icon just dominates as a coaster. Plus Pleasure Beach is an amusement park so only theme their dark rides really.

Good coaster always much much more important than good theme for me, not saying that Wicker Man isn't a decent coaster, but it's just not in the same league :)
Wagstaff04

MakoMania wrote:Haven't heard anyone who hasn't said that it's the best coaster in the UK after riding.
Theme Park Worldwide did so on their Instagram. 
It sounds amazing. I hope to get there this summer. We’ll just have to wait and see!
Aidan Lowe

Aidan Lowe wrote:I do believe this will become the best ride in the UK. It looks incredible, can't wait to head over this spring.
I haven't set a date to go up but glad people who have ridden it feel the same. It stood out from all other UK coasters and looks like an all round crowd pleaser. Now we'll just have to see what exactly Thorpe Park have up their sleeve.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
dazza4783

[youtube]VwgMkZ87lHs[/youtube]
PhNx Survivor

Aidan Lowe wrote:
Aidan Lowe wrote:I do believe this will become the best ride in the UK. It looks incredible, can't wait to head over this spring.
I haven't set a date to go up but glad people who have ridden it feel the same. It stood out from all other UK coasters and looks like an all round crowd pleaser. Now we'll just have to see what exactly Thorpe Park have up their sleeve.
If Icon is as good as people are saying it is as of right now since it’s media and press day.. Merlin are going to have to blow the water out with their next coaster.. will be riding sometime in June! Cannot wait!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
MakoMania

The POV above is very slow and not the full speed potential of the ride, it was filmed on an empty train when the wheels were cold, no idea why they didn't let it warm up properly before filming. There are several rider cam POVs going round that show the ride running at a much more normal speed :)

Also, Nick Thompson said at the press event today that the park will be adding "about" 3 significant new rides in the next 7 years.