Dollywood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Russell

Well for a park that seems as well themed as Dollywood the trains are a massive let down! Hopefully more will be added to them although I highly doubt it!:( As it stands this is probably the blandest looking of all the Wing Coasters for me. After all the crazy layouts B&M have been producing the last couple of years this seems very off the shelf! The only saving grace is the tree interaction and even that doesn't seem that great!

Any idea if there are plans for actual theming?
Since April 2008
Rob L

Russell wrote:Any idea if there are plans for actual theming?
I don't think so apart from around the station and probably ride entrance area. The theme of the ride is you are an eagle flying over the Great Smokey Mountains so the natural environment is the best theming to use in this case.

The layout may look a little bland but I still think this will be a very good ride; these B&M winged coasters appear to be fantastic experiences.

:)

BigAl

I'd take the Swarm over this any day!
Sazzle

When I saw the photos of The Swarm trains, it prompted me to make my first ever Facebook status that was positive about Thorpe Park.

I've just seen these. One is not impressed.

Here's hoping for a bit more work on them :-/ at the very least, some detail on those eagles!

The only saving grace is that it has a unique Wing Rider element - a loop! I wouldn't think it would have a massive impact, sensation wise, perhaps the same as the outside seat on a floorless dive coaster?
Russell

Rob wrote: The layout may look a little bland but I still think this will be a very good ride; these B&M winged coasters appear to be fantastic experiences.
That's as may be but with a dull layout and no saving graces such as headchoppers (and I mean proper ones not the odd branch) then there will be very little reason to reride! I may be completely wrong of course and this will blow the other wing coasters away but somehow I doubt it!

As Saz says, other than the loop there really is nothing standout on this coaster. :(
Since April 2008
AstroDan

I think it looks good. The trains on Swarm would hardly look appropriate on this anyway.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
CF1

The Trains look like Lego ore Duplo. Naked Steal and this small Bird dosnt work.
For me the unprettyiest Wingcoaster Train.
Rob L

Russell wrote:
Rob wrote: The layout may look a little bland but I still think this will be a very good ride; these B&M winged coasters appear to be fantastic experiences.
That's as may be but with a dull layout and no saving graces such as headchoppers (and I mean proper ones not the odd branch) then there will be very little reason to reride! I may be completely wrong of course and this will blow the other wing coasters away but somehow I doubt it!

As Saz says, other than the loop there really is nothing standout on this coaster. :(
This is potentially true but we are yet to know what B&M winged coasters that are not focussed on near miss elements are like. This is a winged coaster more like a standard B&M sit down or floorless and is clearly not meant to be a "near miss" coaster like all of the other winged coasters being built. For that reason I think it will provide a different but equally good ride experience. The standard B&M layouts in other coaster types such as Kumba are fantastic.

These days a lot of people are looking for these "stand out" elements on coasters. I ask the question what is wrong with more "normal" coasters that do not need something unique to be good?

Also Walter speaks highly of this ride! :P

Last edited by Rob L on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroDan

Dollywood is an awesome looking theme park. At least when you get off this you have a divine park. Unlike Thorpe Park!

:p

Sazzle

Point taken, and awarded, Dan ;).

Okay, Rob, so we're picking out it's got no near misses... but it has nothing else, either?? I obviously can't judge too accurately, as a) I've not ridden it and, well, b) its not built. However, by looking at the speed and grace of Raptor and Swarm, I imagine this to ride very smoothly and (I hate to say it) therefore fairly bland.

I'm judging by my own standards, though, as I thought Kraken was an overhyped piled of gliding, sensationless steel.

If it rides like SheiKra on the outside seats then I'm all for it, but without the near misses, it has the potential to be a huge let down.
Russell

Now I agree, in theory, that a coaster shouldn't and doesn't need something unique to be good but when there a so many new coasters being built and, in effect, competing with each other even if on paper rather than in the area it is then it needs something to draw you to it. This will probably be great to ride and I look forward to reading reports and seeing the POV's but, given the chance I would pick any of the other wing coasters to go on over this.

Maybe I'm being too negative tonight! :P
Since April 2008
Nightfall

I'm not sure what the fuss is about with it having the first vertical loop on a Wingrider. It's a vertical loop; it will feel exactly the same as any other coaster with a vertical loop. There's nothing special about the Wingriders position that will change that. Sure you'll have nothing above or below you but unless it does a Blue Fire and practically goes slow-mo over the top (possible by looking at the angle) I don't think it’ll make much difference.

But yes this coaster will probably be really good, I mean it's built by B&M how can it not be? But my point is that they've missed the idea behind the Wingriders design. There's a lot of interesting things they could have done with this ride. Instead they've treated the flying aspect as a marketing gimmick rather than thought about its true potential.

Also AstroDan are you honestly saying that’s the best Eagle themed cart they could have designed? It could have been just as detailed as the swarm carts with the Eagle theme but instead it looks plastic.

On a more positive note the rumoured Eagle Sculpture for the station sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing more of that.
Last edited by Nightfall on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image[/align]
AstroDan

Vogel Rok II?

Vladimir Bobinski

See away.....

Part 2 of the video series on the sculpture created by Kevin Stone.

http://www.metalanimation.com/
Vladimir Bobinski

Dylan wrote: Trains! Don't really have the level of detail of The Swarm / Raptor at the moment, although they are unfinished.
It's an actual 'wing rider' though so bonus points there.

If that is everything that is somewhat disappointing.  I quite like the fact the raw structure of the back bone of the train is quite simple and allows parts to custom tailor a creation onto it.  I hope that's not it

I certainly do agree with the point that these are meant to be immersive rides, but I certainly do love the woodland setting and that neon/candy blue paint job.
Sazzle

Nightfall wrote:I'm not sure what the fuss is about with it having the first vertical loop on a Wingrider. It's a vertical loop; it will feel exactly the same as any other coaster with a vertical loop. There's nothing special about the Wingriders position that will change that. Sure you'll have nothing above or below you but unless it does a Blue Fire and practically goes slow-mo over the top (possible by looking at the angle) I don't think it’ll make much difference.
That was exactly my point - I'm certainly not giving the coaster any credit for having it, I'm saying that its the design's only potential saving grace as its unique!

I shall reserve full and proper judgement until it's built, open and a decent POV arrives on YouTube :).
Nightfall

Sorry Sazzle that wasn't a direct reply to you but some older posts about the loop. I knew what you were getting at but there's been so many posts in the last 10 minutes I lost track of who said what and got the loop comment muddled up #-o
AstroDan wrote: Vogel Rok II?

Sort off, as Vladimir pointed out it's a huge metal eagle so it'll look very different
[align=center]Image[/align]
Rob L

Wow that sculpture looks like it is going to be incredible, very impressive.

In terms of the ride I agree it is best to wait until it is open to fully judge it; I just personally feel it is somewhat unique in its own way. Certainly another reason to want to go to Dollywood, something I aim to do sooner rather than later!

fredward

Perhaps I'm missing something here... But does this ride benefit at all from being a wing rider? The layout doesn't seem to be designed for a wing rider in mind, and seems as if it'll be just as good as if it was with B&M's other trains....

Still looks good... but just a bit... stock?
Vladimir Bobinski

Some backstage construction tour footage courtesy of theme park review.  I now thoroughly dislike the trains.