February Half Term Theme Park Opening 2016

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
MakoMania

With Air undergoing works and the construction of the new rollercoaster restaurant in Forbidden Valley with a stated opening of May, its quite likely that we'll see some changes to the February Half term lineup for 2016. Could The Smiler even make its FHT debut? Merlin may want to get the ride back in action whilst the theme park isn't too busy. Let the discussion begin!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
shawnoc

I cant see the smiler opening up for FHT if it does not open before the end of this season. If it does re open this year then maybe. They could add in thirteen as an extra if air is closed.
Adam.W

In my opinion, The Smiler will be up by the end of the season. I also doubt Air will be in the FHT lineup due to the retheme and the RCR. I disagree with you saying th13teen should be open as it would be pointless dragging people across the park with nothing nearby, if they were to do that, they'd probably have to open Rita aswell. I think that they may have xSextor open with the smiler due to its previous downtime, and covers for Air without dragging people across the park to DF. I doubt DF will be open this time, but perhaps CBeebies, KC, FV, GW, MB and XSector. Not too sure on CCL though, although realistically it will be closed :)
stealthsmiler

I would love it if The Smiler opened by then, however if I were in charge, I would leave it off, even if I could open it. Just because people will be waiting to ride it again and why get a reduced price off of them when you can make them wait till the season starts with full priced tickets.

For the line up I would like CeBeebie's Land, Sonic, Oblivion, Enterprise, Hex, Cloud Cuckoo Land, Rita and Th13teen. This would keep guests to one side of the park. They could also maybe open SeaLife, as its not too far out of the way and undercover for if it rains. Plus theres also then the gardens and The Towers.
Ryan.B

Am I right in thinking Rita and thirteen cannot operate in under a certain temperature? (5 degrees?) and I can't see the smiler opening, it has quite a few problems in cold weather, not sure on operation temperatures for it. As far as I'm aware, the b&ms and sonic can operate in colder temperatures. I can see the northern side of the park open (gloomy woods and across to hex completely open (no water rides though) with nemesis and sub terra being possibility a although it would be a trek for 2 rides (one most skip) I see forbidden valley, dark forest and the majority of Cloud Cuckoo Land closed, with the excrption of ice age and Charlie. If The Smiler runs better than thirteen and Rita in the cold, I see it opening, if not, enterprise, oblivion would be our thrl rides, with sonic being classed as a 'thrill ride' for the time. I still can't see why the park doesn't fully open with the exeption of the water rides and sky ride, and a warning saying 'some rides are unable to open in certain weather, there is a possibility rides such as Rita, thirteen and etc will not operate under 5%. They could even open the whole park on ride rotation. Parks in America and other places can open fully, and some have worse weather, and lots of snow, apart from possible money loss, they could attempt to have a full park open in February, some points air broke down in 2015 February and nemesis had 50 minute queues for lots of the main event. Obviously water rides, sky ride and air would be closed.
Morgan

I know Th13teen can operate in snow and Stealth was running in FHT so I don't see why DF shouldn't open.
TH14TEEN

I think the full line-up is likely to be:

. Cbeebies Land
. Sonic Spinball
. Oblivion and Enterprise
. Hex
. Mutiny Bay, minus the Flume + Battle Galleons
. Runaway Mine Train and Duel
NemesisRider

Personally, I think we'll see X-Sector (or certainly Oblivion) on ERT this time. They'll want to keep people away from Air and they would have to blockade off the oasis if they did just Nemmy. My only problem is that cold weather is ideal stalling time for The Smiler...

I predict we'll see Mutiny Bay, CBeebies Land, Katanga Canyon, Duel, X-Sector, CCL and Hex.
stealthsmiler

Is there any chance Blade and Ripsaw (minus the water) would be kept for that week. That would mean Nemesis and N:ST would be able to open giving 4 more thrill rides for them to market in the line up along with Sonic and hopefully Blivvy and Enterprise.

Enterprise, Sonic and Blade would be marketed as thrill however suitable for families. These along with CeBeebies, Mutiny Bay (minus the Flume) Duel and RMT would make a good FHT line up (although I would prefer to see the other side of the park open.
thi3teenloverboy14

I would like to see the following open i've not included the Smiler as we don't know when or if it will reopen but i honestly think it will open by at least Scarefest/fireworks. If they want to shut off FV they could open Rita,13 and Oblivion to make up for those 2 coasters closed.

Rita- If Stealth can run in fht why can't Rita??
THI3TEEN or Sonic one or the other both family coasters
Oblivion- Replace Air as its getting rethemed/enhanced
Nemesis
Sub Terra
Blade
Hex
Ice Age
Charlie
Enterprise- Not sure if it can run in cold temp-I'm sure someone knows??
Cbeebies Land
Mine Train
Mutiny Bay
Octuanauts
I would also like to see a pirate show or other themed show as well.
LittlestarRed

Does anybody have any idea when AT would be likely to make an announcement about February half term?

I know that half term opening is wishful thinking under the current circumstances, but I just wondered when they usually release information?
Zach

I really don't think we will see a half term opening/event from Towers this coming year here is my evidence for my thinking:
-The event has been removed from the events section on the Alton Towers website.
-There was a few posters up around resort, come August/September (can't remember exact dates) these were removed.
-So far no word from Towers on the event/advertisement normally this is not the case.

We shall wait and see
Dom

I don't know why they are dropping the Feb half term events, as it seems like (but not proven) that the Thorpe one isn't happening also. Maybe Merlin have seen that the event isn't profitable and therefore should be dropped. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Dan

Towers have been telling people on Twitter this morning that "they don't have any confirmation on this as yet" when asked about FHT for next year.

Hopefully they don't cancel it but after recent events I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do.
Jack

It has to be remembered that February half term has become quite a successful event at Alton Towers and because of this they may be reluctant to cut it :)
Zach

What we have to remember also is in coming months the company as a whole, Towers that is, is about to go u dear a major reconstruction and it has been constantly said this will all be in place by opening in March. You couldn't run an event if the company is being restructured.
MakoMania

TheSmilerMan wrote:What we have to remember also is in coming months the company as a whole, Towers that is, is about to go u dear a major reconstruction and it has been constantly said this will all be in place by opening in March. You couldn't run an event if the company is being restructured.
I see no reason why they couldn't.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
NemesisRider

I think they know FHT is a popular event, I think it definitely makes a return/profit. I hope it returns, especially as they even put in the Winter theme park days to partly capitalise on Christmas visitors I reckon they wouldn't cancel it. If it isn't running I expect this would be due to changes in the park like FV being shut off due to Air's revamp and hopefully (though it's unlikely) another extra attraction that doesn't need planning permission.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The 2015/16 Winter Short Breaks brochure still lists the February Half Term event as running 13th - 21st February 2016...
Aidan Lowe

Confused.. how long has that digital file been available?

Formerly known under username Andy Mc