Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Owen

And so, the markings appear! (Credit to TowersStreet)

Previously I remember people complaining about being spat on from above while standing under the left (a disgusting behaviour) that the Resort have said if it persists they will have to removed that section of pavement. The lines under the lift hopefully aren't an indecation to that section being removed, as it's a very nice element of the ride!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The markings coincide with the locations of the theming features and photo-op building shown on the plans.
Sawboss

Once again, arrogant and rude people spoil things for everyone.
Owen

lewis97 wrote:The markings coincide with the locations of the theming features and photo-op building shown on the plans.
I guessed that they would :)
Sawboss wrote:Once again, arrogant and rude people spoil things for everyone.
Indeed, really uncalled for a horrible behaviour in my opinion, if we are loosing that element of the ride it will be disappointing - however if it is definitely for theming, it will hopefully be as good or better :)

Also, if it does end up being VR, thinking about it - the 'preshow' may end up being a way to inform people how to treat an wear the head set. Only a thought.
Rita Fan

Wow. That is disgusting. Spitting on guests is disgusting. I don't even know what would posses you to do that.
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
Ryan.B

I don't get why people feel the need to spit, especially on other people, it's also disgusting on the break run, just concrete and spit.
Adam.W

To be completely honest I think it will be a bit of a freshen up and make it more modern. I mean, maybe replacing the ride system possibly (?) to make it more reliable, and in general getting rid of the generic 1980s theming. Perhaps different sound effects and such (space mountain esque ones? ;)). I don't think they would use VR, because it would impact on throughput too much. Even still, what's the point on using it on a coaster if you have simulator tech at your fingertips? Maybe like star tours or even like Harry potter and the forbidden journey.

But yeah, maybe a bit more modern, slightly futuristic feel to the ride with some nice inside bits and some odd bits of scenery. Also if you think about it it fits well with the food loop.
Sawboss

The current soundtrack to Air is probably my favourite in the park, will be sad if it's changed. I hope they enhance the theme instead of altering it too much, rides have a character and it would feel a bit weird to have it changed drastically. Keep it light, fresh and airy.
Owen

I wouldn't say Air looks like anything from the 80's :-s

In fact I still feel it has an extremely modern feel to it - I wouldn't mind a refresh, however I hope it isn't changed too much aesthetically, because honestly I really like the way Air's sleek and modern theming is implemented. In regards to Air soundtrack, I wouldn't mind if the current one was slightly altered, however I agree I wouldn't want it to change much :)
MakoMania

I've always disliked the soundtrack. Definitley think there will be a new one, I think also that in order for Alton Towers to be able to market it the theme will have to change to appear as something "entirely new".
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Altontowersbarlow

I think the audio of the Dark Apocalypse scare-zone at Alton Towers is very interesting. In the video by Theme Park Worldwide, you can hear voice overs saying "residential areas in Happy Valley are off limits". I realise that Air has always related to the theme of an untouched valley that contrasts with Forbidden Valley, however I find it interesting that "Happy Valley" was specifically mentioned. It also refers to "Happy Valley" becoming "forbidden". The word "airport" is also mentioned.This might have no relevance to the Air enhancements at all, but I thought the choice of words in the Dark Apocalypse audio were very precise and could give an indication to Air's new theme in 2016. I have linked the video down below: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aidan Lowe

Going further on what you mentioned Altontowersbarlow:

So Air is meant to be an oasis, the only part of the area not infected and now they say its forbidden, it mentions airports being shut off from public and being used by Phalanx only and for people in the quarantine zone await imminent rescue.

Initial thought is Phalanx has taken over the place for military purposes, keeping everyone out and you are recruited as a cadet as part of the ongoing battle and its your mission to take flight and rescue civilians/purge the infected areas or something like that.

If it had a theme like that I can see the VR idea being introduced to aid the story. However the places it has been tested yea it may be a good experience but unless it has a good chunk of investment pumped into it for a quality experience and not cartoon entrails you see in the current VR coaster videos then it'd be a waste of time.

VR is slowly coming into fruition with Occulus/PlayStation VR/Samsung/XBOX One VR & such being introduced next year it'd seem "the future is here" is leaning towards Air having this integrated as well.
- Rental Solution
Guests can rent a headset completely equipped with the required smart phone and keep the device during their entire stay in the park.
Only makes sense when at least 3 or 4 ride facilities are equipped with the VR Coaster System, so the guests get a certain value in return of renting a headset. Still, this solution can create a substantial new source of income through the rental fees.
Also, along with the rental approach, guided "VR tours" are possible, where park employees accompany and guide groups of people on their way to the VR rides, where they can lie up in seperate "VR queues".

- VIP Solution
If only one or two ride facilities are equipped with the VR Coaster System, we suggest to hand out the headsets directly at the station. To contain the number of VR riders, this can be offered for a special extra charge, much like a classic Fast Pass / Speed Pass system. This can also refinance the additional personnell that will be required for the operations.

- Public Operation without Limitations
It is, of course, also possible to offer a non-limited VR ride to all guests of an attraction, but this needs quite a few additional operators at the station. Headsets will be handed out before the ride and collected as well as cleaned after the ride. By replacing the foam cushioning with a leather cushioning, this can be done quite easily using special disinfective tissues. When operated this way, every headsets needs to be recharged after 3 to 4 hours.
These taken from VR Coaster website look a nightmare, if it is set to be VR this is going to be quite troublesome imo.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Liam.W

Owen wrote:And so, the markings appear! (Credit to TowersStreet)

Previously I remember people complaining about being spat on from above while standing under the left (a disgusting behaviour) that the Resort have said if it persists they will have to removed that section of pavement. The lines under the lift hopefully aren't an indecation to that section being removed, as it's a very nice element of the ride!
Yesterday I was sat next to some teens who were spitting more or less all the way through the ride! Luckily none of it flew onto me but it nearly got someone standing under the lift hill! And the brake run is covered in spit. When I went on another time I overheard someone have a little rant to their friends about how disgusting it is :)
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

NemesisRider

I wouldn't complain if we got an IMAscore version of the current soundtrack that is similar but not the same. If the same theme stays this would be likely.
Phild94

Currently at Towers now and I've had an idea about the possible retheme to air.

I know this idea has been floated around for a long time but what about a Dr Who theme for air. "Watchthisspace" "The Future is here" could be great to drive in footfall with minimal changes to the current ride system.

If you look at the logo on the website it could very easily be referencing the time vortex and let's face it the Air station already looks similar to the current tarsus with the blue lights.

Before CBeebies land I would have totally disagreed with any idea relating to the BBC/Dr Who/Sherlock but once they've got a foot in they have some massive contacts within the BBC which could open a load of doors for them.

Nothing substantial in evidence but a theory none the less :D
Ryan.B

Space theme I think, I remembered something when we were searching for the possible names for wc16, Merlin had trademarked a couple of things (under a category which meant theme park rides or something) one, was automaton which I would assume is to do with WC16, which means there is one left-Galatica. I think that is airs new name, the logo looks space like, there is wifi called space and the image is called air-space and I doubt WC16 will be called galatica, and I doubt chessington and Legoland would use that name, plus Lego aren't getting anything new as far as I'm aware, and galatica doesn't fit into chessington areas. But galatica fits in with all this stuff about air, as well as this... If you have been in dark apocalypse or have watched theme park world wides dark apocalypse POV, you can here something to do with 'residents, happy valley, evacuate, airport/airspace'

I believe airs new name will be galatica, or something similar.k

EDIT: quote from projectX on thorpe park mania:
It seems Merlin have filed for the trade mark to the words "Galactica" and "Intergalactic" under sections 21, 25, 35 and 41 of NICE classification. With section 41 containing the explanation of copyright for..."rollercoaster rides; operation of rollercoaster rides; observation wheels, observation decks and platforms; amusement park services; theme park services; theme park rides; amusements and amusement arcade services; visitor attractions".

They were both filed on 13/08. It has the same classifications as Th13teen, Raptor, Oblivion, Nemesis etc but the only difference is section 21 which includes the trademarking of "containers; drinking flasks; combs; sponges; hair brushes; comb cases; glassware; porcelain; mugs; cups; plates and bowls; napkin rings; powder compacts; toilet cases; toothbrushes; trays; vanity cases; porcelain and earthenware not included in other classes; water bottles; tankards; oven gloves; money boxes not of metal."
Altontowersbarlow

Phild94 wrote:Currently at Towers now and I've had an idea about the possible retheme to air.

I know this idea has been floated around for a long time but what about a Dr Who theme for air. "Watchthisspace" "The Future is here" could be great to drive in footfall with minimal changes to the current ride system.

If you look at the logo on the website it could very easily be referencing the time vortex and let's face it the Air station already looks similar to the current tarsus with the blue lights.

Before CBeebies land I would have totally disagreed with any idea relating to the BBC/Dr Who/Sherlock but once they've got a foot in they have some massive contacts within the BBC which could open a load of doors for them.

Nothing substantial in evidence but a theory none the less :D
This theory is as good as any, however I would personally hate a Doctor Who theme on Air. I feel it would rip character and charm away from the ride and turn it into a ploy purely to increase visitor numbers. Alton Towers have no reason to associate an IP with Air. There are a vast amount of possibilities to re-theme the ride into Forbidden Valley. I am not saying in any way that your theory is wrong, however I would be very disappointed if Alton Towers chose an IP over a very original storyline produced by the outstanding creative team at the park. I hope you enjoy your day at the park. :)
Sawboss

I agree about IPs, a ride on it's own with an original theme is it's own entity but with an IP it's just an extension of something else. I'm not saying IPs don't work, Saw the Ride is an excellent example of an effective use of one. Just that I prefer rides to be more original and for the park to do their own thing.

P.S. was the Smiler testing today? :P
Luviico

Air's current theme is so minimal that it doesn't matter so much that it doesn't really fit into forbidden valley's theme as a whole but if you change it too drastically then it will stand out like a sore thumb. I cannot see AT going with an IP at all, it would totally ruin the ride IMO. Even if you're going in the direction of a space theme, how on earth would that fit into the nemesis story or the theme of forbidden valley? I don't want to see anything drastic happen as air is my favourite ride on park and I agree with others that I like the soundtrack as it is.

Personally I think that if it is major work planned it will be done to fit into the plans of SW8 and its theme. They will be side by side after all and separated from Nemesis so I can see them linking in some way in a joint battle against the beast? It just seems too much of a coincidence that shortly after SW8 plans were put forward they have decided to make changes to Air.
Ryan.B

Nemesis' home planet could be involved if it is space themed ;)