Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
wamdue

Ladyofthelake wrote:
wamdue wrote:the other option of course is that we theme it for StarGate SG-1, is already got a StarGate, and I would love to see a SG-1 ride.
With Stargate SG1 finishing in 2007, and the last spin off - Stargate Universe - finishing in 2011, it wouldn't make any sense to theme the ride to that IP, no matter how much the portal may look like a Stargate :P
I have to agree that the best way forward is to strip the VR from the ride, but keep the Galactica name and theme, with a few changes to fill in the small gaps which would be left from places which reference the VR. I also think that removing the VR will go some way to restoring some atmosphere to that end of Forbidden Valley as I always found it eerily quiet with the ride going round but nobody screaming as they had the VR headset on and were therefore too focused on what was on the screens meaning they didn't make any sound.
You forgot about the recent Star Gate: Orgins webseries, but its not like anyones seen it so it doesnt really matter.

*mutters about the portal looking like a Star Gate, and how Alton Towers should spend millions respeting my fandom for a long axed TV show*
GregH94

According to Instagram user coastersonthecoast_, who were present at the RCR yesterday, they saw Galactica testing on two trains with what appeared to be a train completely VR free, and one with VR in the last three rows.

I take it that this time it could just be pot luck whether you get VR or not as they’ll need to entice people to fill an entire train without it when you get to the station
Swarm Chris

If there's a train running the VR packs still, then it would seem VR has survived another year.

I suspect there could be many reasons why one train may have no VR on it currently, that don't necessarily mean it will have no VR when the park opens this year. It seems unlikely they would run an entire train without VR if others have VR, it would make operations far more complicated.
Justin

Operations are already complicated as it is, although my only thought on the observations above is that it will become a paid experience?

This way, the disabled queueline could be utilised for VR and disabled, with the queues separating off at the station. This would then allow the standard and Fastrack queue line to return to normal, speeding up operations as VR would be limited to certain crafts.
Michelle

What you're suggesting could potentially work Justin, but I REALLY REALLY hope that this isn't the reality, the thought of more upcharge makes me feel ill.

I did hope we'd seen the back of the VR this year, aside from the fact I've not ridden for two seasons now due to it making me feel so travel sick :lol I don't think I have really heard many people say it enhances their ride , it seemed like it had such potential and has just turned out to be a bit of a damp squib.
AltonOperator

I think making it an upcharge after 3 years of it being free is a bad idea for publicity. Many of the general public would get quite upset at that.
Thanks Jack
Nickolai

They wouldn't even have to make it an upcharge however they could still use the disabled queue as a VR entrance
Formally Smiler313
Dan

I can’t see them making the VR on Galactica an upcharge.

With the Dungeon already confirmed to be an upcharge attraction, there’s no way they would introduce a second one in the same season, especially not one that would create additional faff on a coaster with operations as poor as Galactica’s are.
Justin

If an up charge was to be introduced, and I'm only talking hypothetical here, then this could be implemented in the form of a Fastrack style ticket which could be purchased at the box office. This ticket would then be surrendered to hosts at the entrance to VR.

If no riders were queueing for VR, then the seats would be used for normal riders, therefore the operations on Galactica would improve considerably. Unfortunately, it would mean that Merlin would be charging for another 'experience', but I am sure the same idea could be implemented through a free app or ticketing system.

If indeed VR is even more limited this year, they can not go on mixing VR and non VR riders. It caused chaos and delays last season, and it was soooooo frustrating seeing empty seats go around!
Coaster Chall

I think I'd rather expand behind Galactica in the car park area and have some new flats or family rides in there and then build a sign heading into Galactica for a space themed area

I am hoping Galactica is a phase one for a new area!
Cobby

The idea of having VR as a ticketed system could work actually however I would make it free and people who want to ride with VR book a time slot on the app or at the fast track booths or something. Then proceed down the fast track queue or whatever and board. 
GregH94

Now the VR has apparently been permanently removed, ask this guy and he’ll tell you he has a private but reliable source (I assume someone high up in the park) 

https://twitter.com/themeparkpolls/status/1103447141899481088?s=21
Swarm Chris

Should be noted the same account also heard it on good authority that VR will be remaining on Galactica just a couple of months ago.

Source

Personally, I wouldn't give this any more credibility than any other person saying they know what's happening.
Bert

This source is some random guy on twitter who has been wrong about information multiple times in the past, I wouldn't give him any credibility. 
[Insert Signature Here]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Spot the difference:

As just posted on TowersTimes social media, it appears that the 2019 theme park map now shows riders on Galactica without any VR headsets for the first time since the rollercoaster was rebranded from Air in 2016. 

Could this mean VR has been permanently removed from Galactica for the 2019 season?
Swarm Chris

Well, technically VR wasn't on the front rows last year. :lol

I'm not sure it's gone completely, but to have the graphic updated certainly suggests they want the VR aspect of it downplayed at the very least.
ProfBurp

That’s an interesting spot! It wasn’t working very well last season as we know, so whether it’s gone or not, it was about time they downplayed the whole VR thing!
Bert

I really feel sorry for the person who had to painstakingly remove the VR from the map for such a small detail few people will notice.
[Insert Signature Here]
Ladyofthelake

As much as the VR did attempt to add something different to the ride, if it has been totally removed then in my opinion that will be the right decision. The VR just slowed down operations far too much. Hopefully, if the VR has gone, the ride will be able to return to decent throughput levels like it used to have, something which can only be of benefit in terms of guest satisfaction.
DerpyQuark

If the VR was removed, that would be great news! I never was a fan of the whole VR idea, so I wouldn’t miss it anyway. And VR removal would speed up the queues, too. It’s a win-win!