Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Wagstaff04

I think Galactica is the second-best ride at AT, behind Nemesis. That being said, I haven’t tried it with VR yet, so that opinion may change. 
Nickolai

Just a thought, but if Kraken VR does end up going after a while, does anyone think this would prompt a removal of Galactica's VR as they have seen another operations company do it?
Formally Smiler313
Justin

I think the situation will be closely monitored, however, I don't know if they'll give it up easily, especially when a lot of time has been invested in it. I suppose it will all come down to the upkeep and reliability of the attraction.
RobHand

IMO I don't think the VR will be going anywhere any time soon, I can see them updating the headsets for picture quality as technology improves  and becomes cheaper (I know it will still be costly but its only the headsets, not the computers which have been placed into the trains). The advertising that went into the ride for it to be renowned for being "The worlds first coaster fully dedicated to VR" was very heavy, I don't think they will be willing to give up the title, or time and money that went into making it happen. As for theming, I see them maybe possibly adding some features around the area relating to the current theming of Galactica

But hey, only time will tell, and I could be completely wrong

(PS. Yes I did prefer Galactica as Air, but I do not dislike what it is now)
Liam.W

I can very much see the VR being part removed for this year. I personally think only 3 rows of each train will have VR.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Dom

Is it bad i've never actually experienced Galactica. I've never done the VR. Its not something i've ever wanted to try because its not something I enjoy. I prefer the actual flying sensation you get from it. 
NemeJaney

Liam.W wrote:I can very much see the VR being part removed for this year. I personally think only 3 rows of each train will have VR.
That seems like an increasingly likely situation, especially after today's opening times being revealed. However I do think it has another half or full season left, just to see how things play out in this regard.
Justin

Dom wrote:Is it bad i've never actually experienced Galactica. I've never done the VR. Its not something i've ever wanted to try because its not something I enjoy. I prefer the actual flying sensation you get from it. 
It is worth experiencing once, just for the music which goes with it, but it is certainly better without! 
TheBeornen

I don't know if this is just me but I really don't mind the VR, most times I go to the park I ride Galactica twice. Once without the headset and once with. To me the VR seems more like a supplementary part of the attraction rather than the main focus of the ride. Non-headset gives you that feeling of flying as you coast over the valley, getting wind in your face whereas the VR feels a lot more thrilling because you're unable to see where the track is in-front of you and the near-miss elements such as the asteroids can sometimes make you jump a bit if you are immersed in the ride or aren't expecting it.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
The Nemesis Fox

With Krakens future being questioned after half a season, should we question Galactica? Coasters are still getting VR however they are being improved so that it better works. Personally I feel Galactica is good but the VR is crap. Universally, VR is increasing queue times by dispatches and it clearly isn’t working. This is especially evident as half of people easily would rather go without. Wouldn’t it be better following all issues to remove it this season and return it back to its original state? Or would it be best to scrap VR. In May when I rode it lacked the atmosphere it once had. I thought it was easily the best coaster in 2015 because the freedom, the hype and the atmosphere. Last year was meaningless, which I think is down to every aspect of the ride being overlooked - aside from the VR. I hope to see this ‘fad’ gone this year so that air can return, in its place.
Bert

I'd just like to see some modifications made to Galactica as in revert the name back to 'Air' as it the more well known name but keep th 'Galactica' branding as it is a stronger brand than it originally was. Have some seats VR and others Non-VR and play both the Galactica and Air music as one combined overall soundtrack. 

However if they were change it like I mentioned one of the problems which would arise would be that it would cost to revert the name back to 'Air' and it probably will not be worth the investment and could potentially cause confusion amongst both enthusiasts and the general public.
[Insert Signature Here]
Phild94

I’m pretty sure it would be easy enough to do but having the two stations separated so one was “Galactica” and the other being “Air” the only issue would be ensuring that the VR trains always go to the VR port

This was guests could decide wether they want to ride with VR or without
Nickolai

This could simply be done by keeping the VR on all craft and just keep the VR in the pouches when boarding in the non VR station.
Formally Smiler313
TheBeornen

I think a VR and a non-VR stations would increase throughput, correct me if I'm wrong but could you get two non-VR trains out for each VR train?

Be Chosen...
Phild94

I think it would be close to it, if this did go ahead I think this must be Alton towers first de-theme

It would be nice to see this out through, it would probably be another worlds first to brag about :’)
TheBeornen

They could still call it Galactica, with all the themeing and stuff done to the ride it would be crazy to take it all back. They could make an Air gate and a Galactica gate and use the old assume the position thing for the Air gate.

Merlin could brand it as, "World's first two in one rollercoaster experience." Or something stupid like that.

Be Chosen...
RobHand

I remember a while ago, people saying that the ride would have looked better with the darker blue, track repaint. So I had a look in photoshop, what it would look like.
I must say, I think i am more of a fan of the aqua blue track, as it is now. I think it works really well with the darker blue and stands out more, IMO.

What do you think?

Original photo credit - kiphakes.com
NemeJaney

Oooh, nice job! It definitely has a much more muted look there, but does seem a bit more magical and mysterious. However, the current turquoise colour does stand out nicely against the landscape, as well as making the lighter branding colours 'pop' on signs etc. What would be cool is perhaps a 2-tone thing, like Fury 325 or something, with these 2 colours :D
Justin

It does look nice, but would it distract from the portal?

If VR was to be removed then some additional theming would be nice. The name and ride itself are good even if it doesn't tie in. Add some space aliens and hey presto!
Phild94

Surely they could finally bring Galactica into Nemesis’ theming by having some relationship to the Nemmy Alien homeworld