Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Owen

VR is still unavailable.

In all honesty if we take Galactica for what it is (a VR attraction), it hasn't worked properly all season. We are moving into Ghost Train territory at this point but at least that was a whole new ride system so there was more room for sympathy with it not opening, Galactica however is taking a 'journey beyond' a joke.
Ladyofthelake

Whilst I have never been a huge fan of the VR and much prefer riding the coaster without it, I do think it is now beyond the point where the Resort can explain the absence of the VR in a reasonable way.

Fair enough, the Resort have changed the system used for the VR element of the ride, something which, even though the job should have been primarily carried out over the closed season, you could have excused having some issues which meant it wasn't available for the first 2-3 weeks of the season. However, we are now almost at June and it still isn't working. It almost seems like the Resort are in a no win situation now as with the Resort being open for the main season this limits the amount of work they can do - open the coaster without VR and they have people complaining about the lack of VR; close the whole ride to fix the VR and have guests complain that the ride isn't open. I just hope for the Resort's sake that they can get this sorted soon!
NemesisRider

I believe this will probably be be an issue with the new headsets - Shaman at Gardaland is also yet to operate with VR this season (however Shaman is a brand new attraction and will be much more popular than Galactica).

I agree it's getting beyond stupid now. I'm pleased Alton Towers are trying to run the coaster with VR whenever they can, especially as many enthusiasts don't care that much for it and would rather ride without (sidenote - throughputs must be off the charts this year compared to last!). But the General Public are probably getting annoyed that their most marketed ride isn't fully functional. I think Figment are probably the ones in the wrong here as all their VR coasters have unoperational VR systems right now, but I could be wrong.
MakoMania

How can Shaman be counted as a new attraction and Galactica can't!?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Owen

MakoMania wrote:How can Shaman be counted as a new attraction and Galactica can't!?
Not sure if this is sarcastic but because Galactica isn't a new attraction? :-s
MakoMania

Owen wrote:
MakoMania wrote:How can Shaman be counted as a new attraction and Galactica can't!?
Not sure if this is sarcastic but because Galactica isn't a new attraction? :-s
Neither is Shaman, it's just Magic Mountain like Galactica was Air. None of them are really "new" attractions.
Last edited by MakoMania on Thu May 18, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen

No one is claiming the whole thing is new, however it's been reimagined so in that sense it is, just as Galactica was 'new for 2016' and Kraken Unleashed is 'new for 2017'. They're seen as new attractions because they've had a decent amount of work done. NemesisRiders point still stands that because Shaman is 'new for 2017' it'll be more popular by default. :-s
MakoMania

I just re-read NemesisRider's original post and I may have interpreted it another way :P
I thought it was being said that Shaman is a new attraction for 2017 but Galactica was not a new attraction for 2016........

I don't personally consider any of them (yes, including Kraken ;) ) new attractions, but that's down to personal opinion.
I really can't see why Shaman would be considered "new" until it at least has the VR working.

Anyway, back to Galactica.......
Owen

That makes more sense :lol

They are new in terms of story and 'what they do', but the main components are obviously not new so I personally take it as the VR element being the new thing rather than the ride itself. Then again how would they be able to charge extra for Fastracks if it wasn't a 'new' ride? :P
MakoMania

Owen wrote: Then again how would they be able to charge extra for Fastracks if it wasn't a 'new' ride? :P
The difference between SeaWorld and Merlin:

Merlin: slower load times, let's sell more expensive fastracks

SeaWorld: slower load times, let's implement a free virtual queue system

Anyway, that's enough of my digressions for one day :)
Rob
Admin
Admin

I can honestly see VR being removed next year and the ride staying as Galactica with out VR. Its been a disaster since it launched and after nearly a year a and half of operation its spent most of the time without VR.

I'm still yet to ride it.
TheDuke

The galactica themeing is very good so atleast that will stay though I prefer airs soundtrack. It would really reflect poorly to most people if the VR is removed which is my concern. I'm also disappointed as this technology has been used before and works quite well on other costers
Robert.W

TheDuke wrote:The galactica themeing is very good so atleast that will stay though I prefer airs soundtrack. It would really reflect poorly to most people if the VR is removed which is my concern. I'm also disappointed as this technology has been used before and works quite well on other costers
I have to disagree, I much prefer Galactica's soundtrack than Air's.

looptheloop

I was on park today and Galactica was still operating with no VR, did see an employee of Figment on site though with one side of the station blacked out so you could not see what was happening on the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robert.W

looptheloop wrote:I was on park today and Galactica was still operating with no VR, did see an employee of Figment on site though with one side of the station blacked out so you could not see what was happening on the other side.

I wonder if that means they might be attaching the headsets on to the trains then?

Jack

Robert W wrote:
looptheloop wrote:I was on park today and Galactica was still operating with no VR, did see an employee of Figment on site though with one side of the station blacked out so you could not see what was happening on the other side.

I wonder if that means they might be attaching the headsets on to the trains then?
The headsets that were already there?
Robert.W

Jack wrote:
Robert W wrote:

The headsets that were already there?
What about this? Tell me if I am wrong.
Lewis97 wrote:This article from the Stoke Sentinel confirms that there will be "new headsets on the Galactica rollercoaster" for the 2017 season
This is the link to the page: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/everythi ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Robert W wrote:
What about this? Tell me if I am wrong.
Lewis97 wrote:This article from the Stoke Sentinel confirms that there will be "new headsets on the Galactica rollercoaster" for the 2017 season
This is the link to the page: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/everythi ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Jack means is the new headsets have been on site since opening day (we saw them in the pouches)

Whatever the issues are with Galactica I hope Alton/Figment resolve them soon as it's getting beyond a joke now.
Robert.W

Seems I was wrong! Never mind! I too hope that the Galactica VR issues are resolved soon. I'm going to make a prediction that the VR will be operating by next Saturday!

kris3012

Can see it now new for 2018: Air