SEA LIFE Great Yarmouth

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
ROYJESS

Yesterday (15/07/15) Great Yarmouth celebrated it's 25th Birthday.  It was reopened by BBC ex weather man Michael Fish, who was famous for his gaff in 1987 for reporting the weather forecast and saying that a woman had say phoned in to say that she heard that a hurricane is on the way.  He said that there wasn't and the next day the UK was hit with server winds.

The other gentleman is Joe Larter who built the Sealife centre and he is also the creator of Pleasurewood Hills theme park in Lowestoft.

The ITV Anglia news team was there along with the life boats and entertainment.  

Those who are in the Anglia region might have seen the report on the ITV regional news last night, if it wasn't aired, then it should be on the regional news this evening.
NemeJaney

Yay! I do love my local sealife centre :P I've heard that its layout and theming is different compared to others nationwide. Plus, its Yarmouth seafront location gives it an amazing atmosphere inside and out. 25 years down, hopefully many more to go...long live Gt Yarmouth Sealife centre! :D
ROYJESS

I love the Great Yarmouth center as the theming is brilliant. I think that Merlin want's to standardize all the centers making them all the same, but Yarmouth tries to do things different where possible.

Here is a link to the news story plus TV news video of the event.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2015-07- ... ars-later/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Justin

My local too!

It would be good if they added a few more Merlin attractions to Yarmouth though. How about a MT where Yesterday's World used to be?
coasterchemist

Is Yarmouth really busy enough for that?? The seafront pretty much shuts down over the winter months so they'd only get 6 months trade from another attraction and, I'd guess, that wouldn't be enough to justify the cost. It's sad, because MT there would be pretty cool, but that combined with the potential mis-association with the old waxworks on regent street would probably be enough to put them off doing that.
Justin

That is the trouble. I agree it is not busy enough during Winter but it would be great. It could bring trade, especially if the Pleasure Beach Edge projdct ever gets off the ground!
ROYJESS

There used to be a Wax works (apparently the worst wax works ever) and Ripley's believe or not in Yarmouth, both have long since closed down.

Yesterday world is now going to be an arcade and part of it is now open with a cafe and where the kids can pay to meet someone who is dressed up as a Disney princess and have photos taken.
Justin

Ripleys was very good. I cant remener if it was in the Windmill or where Harry Ramstens is.

I believe the Fairytale is only a temp attraction.
tallicay2k

I live in yarmouth, anyone else local around this neck if the woods?
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
colz_93

I've only experienced this centre and the Aquarium in London, I have to agree that I love the fact that GYSC seems to have stood the test of time, and not become another 'Standard' Merlin attraction.

Like others have expressed, I often question why Merlin haven't invested more in the Yarmouth area, or indeed around the rest of Norfolk. The county is steeped in rich history, and various (and sometimes dodgy) myths, not to mention we've got our fair share of celebrities too.

I love our county, but we seem to be very stuck in our ways. It's time for fresh, immersive, experiences. I think Merlin could bring those experiences, and bring a massive financial boost to those attractions that are genuinely worth visiting, but are struggling. Traditional is great, everyone loves a bit of nostalgia, but there is nothing (other than maybe tight budgets.) that really gets families excited about Norfolk like a trip to London, or any Merlin attraction does. You know with Merlin you'll get something old, something borrowed, and something new. (And occasionally terrible IP choices, and even worse sponsorship choices, but we can overlook that!) Merlin have a real knack for taking something that has been done before, and turning into to something that feels fresh. Norfolk needs that.

As for only being open in peak season, I think much like most of Merlin's attractions, if people like something enough, they'll travel for it, I really don't think there would be an issue in trading all year round.

but that's just my opinion...
Justin

I think Great Yarmouth would greatly benefit from another Merlin attraction. Certainly I'd visit more during the winter months!

Madame Tussauds would have great potential!
ROYJESS

I notice my photos in the original post have broken links. So I've raided my photo album and reposted some of those photos taken back in 2015 for the 25th anniversary

Michael Fish (on the right) the weatherman and Joe Larter (on the left) who built the Sealife center and he is also the creator of Pleasurewood hills theme park in Lowestoft.

Natalie Gray from ITV Anglia News

Excuse my hair, I was growing it to become Han Solo for a future event elsewhere that year

An up to date report on Great Yarmouth Sealife can be found on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44918