What Should Happen Now? (Smiler Incident 2015)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

What do you think is Alton Towers' best course of action after the Smiler incident?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:02 am

Re-opened before end of season?
34%
Re-opened after end of season?
38%
Refurbished and themed again out of respect for families of those affected?
15%
Closed for good?
10%
Gerstlauer forced to close down model fo rollercoaster?
1%
Anything Else?
3%

Total votes: 103
L4mpost

Do you think the will need to get the trains off of the actual track before reopening the park? Or do you think they may just keep the x sector closed? I belive the trains are still in exactly the same position as they were when they crashed :-( work appears to be slow!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

L4mpost wrote:Do you think the will need to get the trains off of the actual track before reopening the park? Or do you think they may just keep the x sector closed? I belive the trains are still in exactly the same position as they were when they crashed :-( work appears to be slow!
Both trains were removed yesterday by HSE who have taken them to their Buxton laboratory for further analysis.
L4mpost

lewis97 wrote:
L4mpost wrote:Do you think the will need to get the trains off of the actual track before reopening the park? Or do you think they may just keep the x sector closed? I belive the trains are still in exactly the same position as they were when they crashed :-( work appears to be slow!
Both trains were removed yesterday by HSE who have taken them to their Buxton laboratory for further analysis.
What time yesterday was the extraction complete complete? I thought they were still in place? Up until about 19:00 yesterday at least.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

L4mpost wrote:
lewis97 wrote:
What time yesterday was the extraction complete complete? I thought they were still in place? Up until about 19:00 yesterday at least.
It was reported that HSE said they would be removed by 8pm.
RedStar98

Sentri558 wrote:
RedStar98 wrote:Re-open it as soon as possible with the original theming once all safety procedures have been carried out, in my opinion
While it may seem easy to just say "one off, let's just let people get back on", unfortunately, 'people' don't trust their safety with this ride any more.

Steps must be taken to ensure that the ride is entirely safe itself, with it's operating staff fully aware of how each procedure should be legally and safely carried out, and the correct protocol in these situations (instead of waiting for the on site medic to call 999)
I completely understand your point, and I agree that all safety checks need to be carried out, but this shouldn't take too long if done efficiently.
TheBeast

I dont think they can really open it before Scarefest. No matterhow efficient the steps and measure taken to guarantee safety, it is also a bit of a waiting game really. Open it too soon, and the GP will view it as not been tested enough, and the media will be all over it.
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Luce

I think it'll stay closed until next season, especially due to the serious nature of the incident.
L4mpost

RedStar98 wrote:
Sentri558 wrote:
RedStar98 wrote:Re-open it as soon as possible with the original theming once all safety procedures have been carried out, in my opinion
While it may seem easy to just say "one off, let's just let people get back on", unfortunately, 'people' don't trust their safety with this ride any more.

Steps must be taken to ensure that the ride is entirely safe itself, with it's operating staff fully aware of how each procedure should be legally and safely carried out, and the correct protocol in these situations (instead of waiting for the on site medic to call 999)
I completely understand your point, and I agree that all safety checks need to be carried out, but this shouldn't take too long if done efficiently.
I agree however, I believe we are forgetting that a massive part if this is to do with Alton Towers public image. Even if done in the most safe and efficient way as possible, if done too quickly, to the public eye this will appear rushed, greedy and incredibly insensitive. As annoying as this is, it must be acknowledged as an obstacle. Going the wrong way about this good bring severe negativity to merlin public image.This, intern, will result in more potential financial losses.

I fully believe that the reason the closed other multiple car operations down is not just because they 'COULD' be unsafe, but because they need to show they are taking this situation VERY seriously. Despite this, the media have still jumped on the band wagon and stated outright that the other four roller coasters are 'substandard'. A perfect example of how carefully the reopening of these rides needs to be handled because it is an outrageous statement to claim that they are substandard.

The key to the smiler reopening is to find the balance between financial loss/public image restoration and financial gain. Already Alton Towers is begin to slip down in the news ratings, and in my Park flyover on 05/06/15, the smiler trains were indeed in the process of being removed (I am a pilot). This probably will mean the park reopening in the next few days or so, as we already know. The Smiler, however, needs to satisfy it's PR requirements, before reopening, which is bit more difficult to do than safety checks and system refurbishments. (especially considering the British publics slant on incidents like this)

As much as i believe that this really is a pain and wish the ride to open tomorrow, as the chances of another incident like this are severly low, I have to acknowledge that this is not going to be the case:-(.

If anything, however, we can cite Texts Giant as an example. When Rosa Esparza fell to her death on July 17th 2013, it took the park 2 months to reopen the ride despite a $1million lawsuit. This ride cost six flags $10million to build. Granted, they are alot larger than the merlin group, this can only help as Alton Towers are far less likely to want to loose their £18million attraction. It would be a much bigger relative blow to the finances. I also understand that there is a large gap between the USA and UK's 'Public take' on incidents like these and the Texas Giant did not actually 'crash', the fact is the Texas Giant incident involved the worst kind of outcome, death.

This is why I have no doubt that the ride will remain and re-open. It's just a matter of when, which is difficult to gauge atm.

Sorry for the essay! It's just my take on the current situation!
Ripsaw Raver

All of this talk of retheme, how do you retheme this ride without re themeing the area. Each being an experiment on the body and mind to perform marmalisation. Fair enough on TheSmiler they could just go with correcting the Mind and not the Body, but then in the same instance, is this the end of The Sanctuary, if they had to Retheme TheSmiler would a maze themed around surgical correction be deemed as inappropriate aswell,hell it walks through a Ward-Operating Theatre and Morgue plus kelmans last speech involved his disdain for TheSmiler and deemed it was a correctional device that would never work. Further more does the GP even understand the Theme like we do. Then does anything with a dark theme need to be revoked, Will saw have to be overhauled, I think a full retheme is ludicrous. The theme did not do the damage, the ride could have been themed towards The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (CFSM Respectively) this awful accident would still have happened. I would if anything think that the map needs to be altered not to show Scalpel blades as a marmaliser edition as that could be too much. The GP are so quick to blame AT in this, but what about Gerst, That stalling issue should have been worked out before the first piece of steel was layed, isn't that what simulations are for. I for one believe TheSmiler is safe, but it was a nasty chain of events that made this happen,AT are an easy target at this point because alot of people are scared of rides and it makes no issue to them should they never go on one, Yet in the past 10 years planes have been lost and hijacked and exploded before take off , trains derailed,cars brakes failed yet this has no effect on people's use as they have no admission of vowing to never use these services again.Did NASA stop sending astronauts and having public support after Challenger!Do people stop using planes after Concorde crash in 2000.If were going to live like this, lets just rot in our houses with the electric,gas and water taken out and huggle in bubble wrap for our own safety.And then there's the media( Wheel fell off)Small plastic lift hill wheel(Celebs stranded on coaster) 8ft of the ground at the base off lift. Need i say more. How the Media can be trusted after all this time is beyond me, the phone hacking scandal should have been the end of this scum. My thoughts are with those involved but also with AT , every man and his dog will take a shot at this easy target figure, yet will get on a plane or in there car in a heartbeat, The ignorance is diabolical.Sadly AT with TheSmilers campaign was too true, The GP are just Sheep to be Controlled and Manipulated for the ends of the powerful.And the worst thing, they will never see the true depth of whats going on.
Altonaction

Id like to see rubber safety bumpers fitted to the front and back of each car/train so that if the system or human error happens like on tuesday, then the damage wont be as severe when crashes.
Cant understand why they havnt already got these on all similar multi car on track coasters as the possibility of the system failing and them crashing into each other is obviously likely as with the smiler.
The car shouldnt of entered the block but it did so u need to use more safety to ensure that if that happens again then the people on the front row wont have there legs crushed by the flimsy metal rail/cover pushed in by the protruding metal that houses the wheels that is on the back of the test car.

Sort out the error, add the extra safety to the cars and re theme.
mark_h

L4mpost wrote:I fully believe that the reason the closed other multiple car operations down is not just because they 'COULD' be unsafe, but because they need to show they are taking this situation VERY seriously.
They are closing Saw for longer than the other rides (which are having their operating procedures tweaked) suggesting that they have more doubts about it. Being from the same manufacturer it would likely have the same, potentially faulty, control systems.

In terms of reopening The Smiler this will not be able to happen until the HSE report is published and the prohibition notice lifted once the HSE is convinced that the faults have been fixed. It would also be necessary to make sure that the ride is fully working and has minimal downtime as the media will report any slight hiccup once it reopens.
L4mpost

My point exactly:-)
Danny

Saw has 6 sets of block brakes, so is in theory is a more complicated, especially as they send two cars at once. It would be a lot easier for this accident to happen on Saw, so they will need to review the way the ride is monitored whilst in operation, potentially needing another member of staff in the op room.
Justin

After the awful incident at Alton Towers, I personally hope the theming remains as it is.

I like the idea of operating the ride with water dummies to show the public it is undergoing vigorous testing. This would give people confidence in the ride. I also hope Alton Towers keep up the open communication, informing customers of the steps they are/will be taking to ensure the ride does not experience another accident again.

As some said, it is a fine balance! Stand closed to long and it doesn't look good. Open to early then all trust is lost. Although I voted for them to re-open the ride before next season, I hope it will open before.

I have trust in Alton and I will ride it again; however, my thought remain with those injured at present!
lf2001

I can see The Smiler re-opening next year, which I think is what happened with the RMT. I don't think it will put people off riding. If it is closed for the rest of the season but is shown testing and goes through strict safety procedures I think it will stop the public worrying and hopefully it can come back to full operation soon and the park can put this tragic incident behind them.
rosco1982uk

I don't believe for one minute that the ride will be removed.

I can't see it being open until next season to allow extensive testing.

Now, on to the theme.

The Smiler - Get Corrected. A girl has just lost a leg on it. You categorically will not ever see this phrase used for the ride ever again. Had the ride been space themed etc, it's easier to continue as is.

You simply cannot have a ride that has lead to life changing injuries continue to be called "The Smiler".
humanshifter

rosco1982uk wrote:I don't believe for one minute that the ride will be removed.

I can't see it being open until next season to allow extensive testing.

Now, on to the theme.

The Smiler - Get Corrected. A girl has just lost a leg on it. You categorically will not ever see this phrase used for the ride ever again. Had the ride been space themed etc, it's easier to continue as is.

You simply cannot have a ride that has lead to life changing injuries continue to be called "The Smiler".
I agree, I love the theme but it just seems inappropriate now. Me and my bf were talking about what it could be rethemed as, maybe something to do with bugs because of the colours and six legged structure. Could still play on fears, just more 'appropriately' if that makes sense?

Still, I love the theme and it would be sad to see it change. It's just so unintentionally morbid now
thrillseeker

After what happened last week, many of the people I've spoken with are of the same opinion that "Alton Towers is unsafe" and "I'm never visiting that park again". Unlike them, I will be visiting AT again soon and what has happened hasn't put me off. After all, it was an accident and accidents can happen anywhere at anytime. But if the majority of people are against going back again, this will mean loss of sales and overall, could mean closure for the park somewhere in the future if they aren't getting the custom. How can Alton Towers regain the trust of the public to keep them visiting so the inevitable won't happen?

Finally, very sad news to hear of the girl losing her leg after what happened last week. It will be a slow process, but I hope she can focus on the positives in her life and build up her future.
Master_feedback

I think it will be re open next year if court and legal proceeding go well

they will have to re-theme it and as others have said due to public image

I also think given the news today its not beyond the bounds of possibility that Saw may also get a re-theme

I guess the problem is re-theme no re-theme the media will be on it with "AT try to hide its past by changing the name and theme" or "AT reopen dangerous coaster the no smiler" or such rubbish

What ever happen Merlin will be the bad guys in the media... :(
Nathan_Fisher

I can't see any point in a re theme to be honest, unless Merlin were to change the area. (like they did with ug land to dark forest). It's a waste of money in my opionion, it doesn't need a retheme, there's no point. After all it's still the same roller coaster underneath the ride experience will still be the same, whats the point messing about with updating it a new theme when everyone will remember it as the smiler? The press will judge it as if Alton Towers are trying to hide their past and they will be up in the headlines again for the wrong reasons.

When a person changes their name there still the same person underneath, in my opinion it's the same concept.