What Should Happen Now? (Smiler Incident 2015)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

What do you think is Alton Towers' best course of action after the Smiler incident?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:02 am

Re-opened before end of season?
34%
Re-opened after end of season?
38%
Refurbished and themed again out of respect for families of those affected?
15%
Closed for good?
10%
Gerstlauer forced to close down model fo rollercoaster?
1%
Anything Else?
3%

Total votes: 103
ukparknews

leammiles wrote: Me personally, I'd jump on it tomorrow if they reopened it, but the general public who don't know about the systems might need convincing.
Well that depends. We don't yet know it was anything to do with the system running the ride. In fact it is highly likely that human intervention was the main cause. If that is the case/confirmed then people would have every right to be concerned over safety as the problem would be much wider than one ride.

I assume this is why other multi-train coasters in the group are closed; to address an underlying loophole in safety procedures. We will have to await the outcome of the HSE investigation though of course.

I'm pretty sure the Smiler will remain closed for at least the rest of the season, and I imagine it will be relaunched in 2016 with either a re-theme or some major modification that will instil confidence in GP again.
stealthsmiler

thrillseeker wrote:could mean closure for the park somewhere in the future if they aren't getting the custom.
I highly doubt it would close. Firstly there is whole other side to Alton as well as the theme park. They have a waterpark, golf, tree top quest and spa to still attract people to their three hotels. Also there is the gardens and towers which could become another attraction by implementing a system like BPB, wristband for rides, and then low entry fee for the towers. Secondly ATR could get their trust by going in another direction with the park ie having more flats and simpler dark rides which appear safer to guests. So there is plenty of ways the business could change and move forward.

However I doubt it would even lead to that as I believe everyone will move past it with the exception to those who were involved in the accident and their families. The only affects it could have I believe is a more family style SW8 and maybe more developments outside of the theme park. After all these will generate more cash for Alton, can be used year round and in times like these could be very helpful with minimising profit loss (and by times like these I dont mean ride accidents, just times when the park has to close for some reason). ATR need to get themselves to a point where it could survive as a business without the theme park.