The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
xylyx

Aye lawyers definitely make sense, it's more the folks stearing the publicity, if anyone is, I'd question the quality of the job they're doing if all the victims want to do is draw a line under the thing.

But I'm probably barking up the wrong tree lol
Sawboss

Are they still testing every day or has it dialed back?
Aidan Lowe

Sawboss wrote:Are they still testing every day or has it dialed back?
Pretty much everyday. I take about half hour each day to sift through twitter/instagram posts on keywords & hashtags and everyday there has been an image or video taken by someone on park of it testing.

The next few days could be interesting as according to some the prohibition notice part of the HSE website is only updated every month, so we may see if it has been lifted or not.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
SJW

The website will reveal nothing about whether or not a prohibition notice has been lifted.

It's different for improvement notices, but I am not sure why.
homer22422

The media have quickly jumped to the fact that David Beckham become photobombed one of the medics at the Brit Awards and are trying to give him a bad name. Heck, I do not think much of Beckham but the photo is clearly not a photobomb. The medic has clearly just taken a selfie with David Beckham. Stupid media scum
Sawboss

It's all just a whole lot of click bait, that's what most of the Smiler articles are too. Eye catching title with absolutely nothing of substance in the article, I blame social media. Because.
Thorpegirl123

I went yesterday. They were testing pretty much all day. 2 trains going round at a time. sometimes with just 6 dummies in.
Liam.W

The smiler is testing again today with a 2 car operation (trains 2 and 5) according to towers street. Apparently the on ride camera has been working too so hopefully it's getting close to reopening!

Footage can be found on towersstreets Facebook page.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Themeparksandy1981

Is it dueling again?
Liam.W

It was during some points of the day apparently.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Jammydodger

It seems like they're adding a lot of things that are pretty irrelevant to the incident.
I can't help but think that the HSE picked up on a few other issues during their investigation and now they're being forced to rectify them.

It'll be interesting to see if any of them are critical, because if the HSE has now noticed them, they could get slapped with a big fine.
SPAD

i tweeted that is was testing today and some journo DMd me asking what i saw!!!!

the cheek!!
Sawboss

Journalists used do actual research and seek out stories, now they just trawl through twitter :P
xylyx

Too right just read the nonsensical spinball bump made someone vomit story which has rightly vanished.

Some journalists do still slug away at stories but sensation is far more bankable than integrity in the gutter press.

Anyway how is the testing looking, I heard someone mention that they thought the trains are moving a little better now, not so sluggish.
Max

The videos from recent days the trains seem to be running much quicker now, compared with the initial test videos from the first couple of days. Looking more and more promising with every development. :D
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Capt.Barnacles

I don't know to be honest, I watched the video TowersStreet posted today and it appeared to be crawling through the 5th to the 7th inversions much slower than it should, though I'm sure this is down to the load not being full.
homer22422

Dan C wrote:I don't know to be honest, I watched the video TowersStreet posted today and it appeared to be crawling through the 5th to the 7th inversions much slower than it should, though I'm sure this is down to the load not being full.
Could I have a link to the video please? I can't find it anywhere
Aidan Lowe

^ Link below. Looks like it was running with only 6 dummies it seems.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
orientdan

Hi new to this forum, and a long time Towers fan although haven't been for a few years now.

I don't blame Vicky Balch for her view that the Smiler should be shut down, it would be hard for her to think that it could reopen and people could be riding and enjoying it after she and others suffered such terrible injuries on it.

However this of course the emotional take on it, the facts are Alton Towers are well within their rights to reopen it if it's passed safe by the HSE. The whole closing it down out of respect angle is being played on heavily by the appalling media who I suspect are trying to provoke some kind of public outcry and possible boycott campaign of AT should the ride reopen.

I think they are exploiting this girl's suffering and trauma for their own ends, which is sensationalism and creating uproar.
They are despicable.
Rita Fan

:yikes: Blimey, look how slow it goes through the corkscrew by the giggler! Ouch that's slow
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.