The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Themeparksandy1981

Is there a phone at the ride entrance?
Aidan Lowe

Yes there is close to the height board I believe.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
HalfwayCorrected

There is as she used it to phone through after the incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
razgriz33

Perhaps a random question but how long were the que times?
Also had it been stopped for a long long time before the train that eventually stalled was sent through?

reasoning for my questions:
My guess is that external pressure to bust que times could have played a factor. From reading various bits it seems that the bearings on the smiler cars need to be kept warm by running them through, to warm them up at the start of the day or after a long period of downtime they send them around with dummies (by the way anoraks please correct me if you think I'm wrong).

perhaps ex ride op's can answer this one, when you run on manual block mode for whatever reason, you can't force two trains to be on the same block unless you go fully manual and tell that specific device (in this case the drive on the lift hill) to activate right? that's what I've learnt from a certain simulation.

Thanks for sharing your account, I hope you're okay and that you find your way to become fully corrected safely again soon ;)
HalfwayCorrected

razgriz33 wrote:Perhaps a random question but how long were the que times?
Also had it been stopped for a long long time before the train that eventually stalled was sent through?

reasoning for my questions:
My guess is that external pressure to bust que times could have played a factor. From reading various bits it seems that the bearings on the smiler cars need to be kept warm by running them through, to warm them up at the start of the day or after a long period of downtime they send them around with dummies (by the way anoraks please correct me if you think I'm wrong).

perhaps ex ride op's can answer this one, when you run on manual block mode for whatever reason, you can't force two trains to be on the same block unless you go fully manual and tell that specific device (in this case the drive on the lift hill) to activate right? that's what I've learnt from a certain simulation.

Thanks for sharing your account, I hope you're okay and that you find your way to become fully corrected safely again soon ;)
The queue time during the incident was estimated to be about 40 minutes. A train was added to reduce this after the breakdown had been resolved and therefore because tested cold stalled (and it was also very windy)

The likely hood was that there was a ride reset and the sensors did not pick up the stalled train therefore advancing the train into what the computer thought a clear block.

Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

I got 6 second vid send via facebook around the time it happened, was it you who sent it?
Max

anyone any idea on what's going on here?
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Capt.Barnacles

RoR was taking the mick out of a TowersStreet post where some people believe that the 'flying smiler cars' are real. Not exactly the nicest gesture but knowing him personally he's more known for satirical theme park community posts anyway.
Last edited by Capt.Barnacles on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam.W

Maybe new cars to replace damaged ones in the crash?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Max

Dan C wrote:RoR was taking the mick out of a TowersStreet post where some people believe that the 'flying smiler cars' are real. Not exactly the nicest gesture but knowing him personally he's more known for satirical theme park community posts anyway.
I thought it'd be something like that.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
ASturge21

The original photo came from a TS construction update in May 2013

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
NemmyChic

:clap:

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are to The Smiler re opening ???

Do you think it will be open for opening day do you think the name will be the same.

Is any of you not going to be running for the ride on opening day ..... I sure will be but do understand that people may not be.

Thoughts ???
jonny9403

I think we will see it open on first day with same name and theme. Give people time and it Will be popular again
NemmyChic

I hope so !! When it first opened originally i was a little put off by The Smiler Name i thought that it would never work !! And now i feel like it just wouldnt be the same ride without that Smiler themeing or that song that just sticks in your head !! I hope they do not ruin the ride with a change of theme !!!
stealthsmiler

It is going to open with the resort at the start of the season. I can't remember who it was but I spoke to someone higher up in he resort and they said it was opening at the start of the season

Luce

I reckon it might re-open with the other rides at the start of the season but kind of quietly without any announcement. I think the theme will probably be more or less the same but may have some slight alterations but what they might be if any, only time will tell :)

I'm certainly looking forward to getting back on the ride :)
NemesisRider

I'm really excited for the reopening as I do like The Smiler! I predict it will reopen on the same day as Air V2 (Galactica) opens so people forget about The Smiler. It will have the same name and theme too (I believe this is confirmed, someone correct me if its not).
Stan.H

Im really, really excited! In fact so excited, i'm watching queue walk throughs, ride POV's non stop! :D
Dan

NemesisRider wrote:I'm really excited for the reopening as I do like The Smiler! I predict it will reopen on the same day as Air V2 (Galactica) opens so people forget about The Smiler. It will have the same name and theme too (I believe this is confirmed, someone correct me if its not).
I don't think they'll do this as it could potentially take some gloss off the re-opening of Air.

I believe The Smiler will re-open when the rest of the park does. No announcement or anything, the ride will test and then the queue line will open.
Tom170499

NemesisRider wrote:It will have the same name and theme too (I believe this is confirmed, someone correct me if its not).
You are correct, this was confirmed by Nick Varney himself I believe.