The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Adam.W

Stellafella wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:
Stellafella wrote:I decided to go to the park today.
Has anyone noticed the Smiler staff dont Smile?
Not really a day in history to be smiling which could of played a part in their overall mood. The staff are usually spot on across the park.
Yeah like i said not just today but on most the visits ive made to the Smiler this year.
To me its really noticeable but then ive always judged the park on the staff. Ive always said the staff make it, as they are so friendly.
To be honest, if I had to listen to that music all day, I certainly wouldn't be smiling :lol

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't read too much into it. Last time I went, I noticed a few miserable ride ops all around the park, so I don't think they're told to be in a really good mood and smile at everyone.
Aidan Lowe

Stellafella wrote: To me its really noticeable but then ive always judged the park on the staff. Ive always said the staff make it, as they are so friendly.
As long as they usher me through fast track quick they could be the most miserable people ever for all I care haha :) But The Smiler fast track is usually always quick which is tbh the only reason I bother with it anymore.

But yea I remember Dave from last year if its the same one, older guy with not a lot of hair, does a lot of operation of Smiler/Blivvy if I remember rightly. Sound guy.

But like anyone we all have off days. They shouldn't be expected to keep a facade up 100% of the season, as long as they aren't rude to guests its all good.

Still can't believe its been a year already.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Stellafella

yeah thats the Dave ha.
Perhaps moral just a bit low on park with the staff cuts. Ah well onwards and upwards for AT now the year mark has passed.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

I went on park on Thursday and one of my rides on it was just after 2pm I had crossed fingers for the front on that ride and I got it, and I agree Dave is one of the best there.
Aidan Lowe

Looks like they return to court this September.
Prosecutor Bernard Thorogood, speaking for the Health and Safety Executive, told Stafford Crown Crown today 'substantial' progress had been made since the last hearing in April at the same court.

The company has since provided a 'basis of plea' and Mr Thorogood said the HSE were now content to make its final submissions before sentencing which has been scheduled for two days on September 26 and 27.

However the prosecutor said they were still awaiting medical evidence in relation to the victims which is dependent on separate civil cases they are pursuing against Merlin.

Mr Thorogood added the defence had cooperated 'exceptionally' throughout the case so far.

He also revealed the victims of the crash had already expressed their intention to attend the sentencing.

At the last hearing District Judge Jack McGarva warned Merlin may be ordered to pay a 'very large' fine.
Source
HalfwayCorrected

The Smilers now has its 4th train on show on the outdoor storage track! It's sparkling new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sawboss

Shiny, I wonder how it rides...
MakoMania

Wonder when it will be taking riders?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Adam.W

I wonder what number it has on the front :lol

Although I suspect it will have train 6 on the front.
Liam.W

Adam.W wrote:I wonder what number it has on the front :lol

I never actually thought of that!!!

I have a feeling they are just going to call it train 4. They kept everything else pretty much the same, so I don't see why they would change something that isn't that easy to see unless you know where it is.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

HalfwayCorrected

Liam.W wrote:
Adam.W wrote:I wonder what number it has on the front :lol

I never actually thought of that!!!

I have a feeling they are just going to call it train 4. They kept everything else pretty much the same, so I don't see why they would change something that isn't that easy to see unless you know where it is.

It's train 4 on the front. It also has seat number on the side of the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SJW

Looks good to me. Popularity is eeking up now, so it's needed.
AndreJD

Yesterday queues of up to 120 minutes, so on peak days it's desperately needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MakoMania

AndreJD wrote:Yesterday queues of up to 120 minutes, so on peak days it's desperately needed.
It was only on 2 trains yesterday though.

Are we sure that that train spotted was definitley the 4th train and not just the out of action 3rd train?
Liam.W

New footage has been released of the smiler crash. It shows the train stopped at the top of the lift hill, the camera then changes to show the stalled train. It then changes back to the train stopped on the lift hill, and the train then continues round the circuit. A loud bang can then be heard.

Very saddening to see this, especially when you know it could've been easily stopped.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ne ... 1671Here's the link to the Mirror's article.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

MakoMania

Oh my, I never imagined it would sound like that. My heart was in my mouth watching that train go around.

For those of you who would rather not give the mirror's own website your traffic, you can watch the video on youtube here:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryan.B

That video really does hit home, knowing how easily it could have been prevented. Seen some comments saying `not again` as well..
S.J_O'Grady

I don't know whether or not I should find it slightly satisfying that the video has more dislikes than likes. Maybe people are getting fed up of hearing about it now?
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
DeadJack5

Honestly from the footage and audio of when the incident finally took place, it made my heart just drop. Still cannot get over the fact it was over a year ago since this all happened.

It's surely got to say something about the impact of the crash.
Aidan Lowe

I watch a lot of horrid videos on LL and am unphased by them but even that thud got me.

Never has the 'Ha ha ha' music been so inappropriate than in that video when they are going to see what happened.