The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Sr88

The more it goes on, the more I don't think it will be rethemed. People are moving on now, and a lot of people I have spoken to just want the ride to be open again.
Aidan Lowe

Sr88 wrote:a lot of people I have spoken to just want the ride to be open again.
Was asked that question today and hasn't put me off in the slightest. However will be a while till I smell those sweaty restraints again.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
jdoughtyqpr

Whilst we can all agree this is a terrible thing that is happened, I imagine the majority of people who would never ride Smiler again would be none enthusiasts anyway. So not much loss.
Benjsh85

There's absolutely not a shred of doubt in my mind that it's going to re-open. And probably stay as the Smiler too. They may take away some minor effects (laughing) but I can't see it going further than that. If every machine or structure was demolished after accidents, it would be a much smaller world.

The Smiler will re-open in 2016 I think. They've got best part of 9-10 months to get all the bugs finally sorted and make sure it's not going to be repeated.

I will be queuing for it when it re-opens, 100%. It's a freak and awful tragedy / acccident but statistically you are far more likely to be hurt on route to the park (car crash) than you are whilst you're there.
Chrismorgan123

Looks like Merlin are taking this safety issue seriously, they are paying React Mystery Shopping to send mystery shoppers to check every single Merlin ride across the whole of the UK, including the Dungeons and Sealifes too!
The brief for the visits states:
Aim of visit - These assessments are purely observation checks for Merlin to see if there are areas they can improve the safety of guests even more. THIS ASSIGNMENT WILL BE ALLOCATED WITH A GROUP OF OTHER CHECKS AT THE SAME ATTRACTION. YOU WILL NEED TO APPLY FOR SEVERAL VISITS TO BE CONSIDERED. Entrance - You will refunded up to 1 adult and 1 child's entrance ticket per group of 6 assessments. You can take more people with you. You can also use any 2 for 1 vouchers. Type of Visit - Compliance Check. Proof of Visit – Photo. Length of Assessment – Will depend on queue at ride. Questionnaire Length – Up to 20 questions. Details of Assessment: • You MUST be discreet when conducting this assessment and just act like a normal visitor (Do not draw attention to yourselves). • Approach the ride you have been allocated. Look for the ride restrictions to see what they are. • Join the queue and observe how the team members are behaving (see questionnaire for the exact aspects you need to watch). • You MUST go on the ride. • Watch AND listen really carefully to what is done - Was the bar / belt checked or were you given safety instructions. • At some point whilst at the ride take a photo of the ride restriction sign (if you feel you will be spotted doing this then take a clear photo of the name of the ride.) CCTV will be watched to check the answers given within the reports.
mark_h

I am not sure how useful (untrained) mystery shoppers would be in monitoring compliance with safety procedures. This would seem to be more of a PR exercise (if Merlin publish the results) than a genuine way of improving safety.

The off-ride H&S checks are as important as the on-ride checks, especially at the non theme park attractions. Making sure that the building checks are done as required (most of these are basic such as checking fire exit routes, fire alarm systems, emergency lighting, trip hazards and other risks). Staff training in emergency procedures is also key. These cannot be checked fully by a mystery shopper as it would involve triggering emergency systems and accessing back of house areas.

Merlin should have improved its off-ride checks after being fined £150,000 by the HSE after a 4 year old suffered serious head injuries after falling from the Tomb Blaster queue at Chessington.
HSE Inspector wrote:“Quite simply, Chessington had insufficient measures in place to prevent or control the risk of falling from the raised walkway in the first place – and this was not just a couple of feet from the ground but nearly four metres.

“This incident shows the importance of implementing robust systems for checking and maintaining all aspects of rides, and this includes the walkways and fencing associated with queuing and where people gather.”
Altontowersbarlow

A second crash victim has unfortunately had her leg amputated. Source BBC news. I am unable to provide A link therefore if somebody could post one below, I would be grateful.
Aidan Lowe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-33296533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
MakoMania

Devastated. My thoughts go out to her & the other victims of the crash.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Danny

So is it confirmed?
It reads in the article that a more acute amputation may be required, so has her leg actually been amputated or has the decision just been made?

Either way I find this incredibly upsetting and can only wish them all a speedy recovery, my thoughts are with them and the families
Altontowersbarlow

DannyG wrote:So is it confirmed?
It reads in the article that a more acute amputation may be required, so has her leg actually been amputated or has the decision just been made?

Either way I find this incredibly upsetting and can only wish them all a speedy recovery, my thoughts are with them and the families
It is confirmed that her leg has already been amputated below the knee.
Dan

This really is awful news.

For her to have gone through 7 operations to try and save the leg only to then lose it must be devastating.

Thoughts are with her and her family.
Jack

I cannot feel sorry enough for the victims who have had to go through this. As has been said, to have gone through so much to save her leg only to lose it must be incredibly hard to deal with and I wholeheartedly hope Vicky and Leah can recover from this mentally. There isn't much worse than what these two have been through, but to know their lives will never be the same will not only be devastating to them, but very upsetting for the rest of us. To know that they were doing something that should be totally safe only to end up in a state that nobody can ever imagine is heartbreaking.

My heart goes out to Vicky and Leah, and I hope for their sake the media will leave them alone and give them the privacy that they will definitely need.
Sawboss

Maybe the media will stop using every piece of rollercoaster/theme park news as an excuse to reprint their before and during photos of a harrowing ordeal that cost them each a leg. Would be nice.
Adam.W

The media are just being disrespectful (imo) because they are reporting every detail of it as they emerge, and repeat the story all over again, despite the victims wanting privacy. They will have also made yet another report regarding the second leg amputation, although Vicky wanted privacy.
Everton-99

Not good for AT so soon after Smiler incident - i know eyewitnesses are probably exaggerating to get themselves on the news considering he high media status regarding AT at the moment.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... an-5987141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Slug3k

Not good for AT so soon after Smiler incident - i know eyewitnesses are probably exaggerating to get themselves on the news considering he high media status regarding AT at the moment.
Just seen this, it's not great for the park. It's probably over exaggerated but still they could do without the press at the moment.
S.J_O'Grady

If you type 'alton towers' into Twitter search now, literally everyone is saying they should be or will be shut down for ever. How stupid can planet Earth get?
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
ponder

Given the way this seems to be going, wouldn't it make more sense to start a new topic about the media's current stance on Alton Towers? Some of the nonsense I've read in the media and on social media today is on another level. Much of it makes me embarrassed to be human.
S.J_O'Grady

ponder wrote:Given the way this seems to be going, wouldn't it make more sense to start a new topic about the media's current stance on Alton Towers? Some of the nonsense I've read in the media and on social media today is on another level. Much of it makes me embarrassed to be human.
Couldn't agree more. Did you see the Mirror's story about Ghostbusters and evil spirits haunting the park! :yikes:
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.