The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Tom170499

Has anyone heard how the sentencing went?
Owen

Vicky Balch has apparently returned to the resort planning to ride The Smiler today. The reason being to "help with on going trauma treatment".
bryn_the_pen

Owen wrote:Vicky Balch has apparently returned to the resort planning to ride The Smiler today. The reason being to "help with on going trauma treatment".
Oh the headlines that will become of this...
ROYJESS

Here are the links to the news stories with regards to her Visit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rauma.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... im-8063874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... ch-amputee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/674424 ... icky-Balch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... erapy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dan

Owen wrote:Vicky Balch has apparently returned to the resort planning to ride The Smiler today. The reason being to "help with on going trauma treatment".
It wasn't today, she visited earlier this month.

She's also not said she'll ride The Smiler again. I imagine she spent some time standing around it, much like Joe Pugh did as part of his rehabilitation.
Owen

Yes I thought this may be the case, hence why I said 'apparently' as no one will know 100% :)
wamdue

is this ever going to end? this just seems like the press wanting to post pictures of an attractive young woman now. I dont get the interest in this.
xylyx

As of tomorrow it's been a year since the crash I wonder if we'll see something from every enthusiast's favourite rag about it?
archie.mm

xylyx wrote:As of tomorrow it's been a year since the crash I wonder if we'll see something from every enthusiast's favourite rag about it?
How has it already been a year. No doubt The Mirror will say something. My bets on mentions of 'HORROR SMILER CRASH'.
Dan

Vicky, Leah and Joe were interviewed on This Morning today.

Nothing really said that hasn't already been covered but one bit that stood out for me was Joe said he doesn't feel any anger or animosity towards Alton Towers for re-opening The Smiler because of how well they've been looked after since the crash.
theparklifekid

Its kind of strange seeing how a year ago today, we were all very worried about what had just happened...
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
xylyx

Yeah it was a weird time, flicking back to the beginning on the thread is strange seeing all the reactions.
Stellafella

I decided to go to the park today. Had a great day which included 4 rides on the Smiler.
Its not the first time ive been on since it re opened but today i realised what was missing.
Has anyone noticed the Smiler staff dont Smile?
They used to be quite fun and zany.
Nemesis, Blivvy, Rita staff etc all seem to be cherpy but not the Smiler Staff.
Im not sure if there stressed being scrutinised about what happened or what it is but to me the staff were part of the theming to me.
See if you notice it.....its not just the guys loading but the ppl on cloakroom etc.
Morgan

I'd assume this is just a bad experience with the staff- I had a bit of a joke with the cloakroom staff last time. I'll see what they're like on Saturday :)
Stellafella

I can imagine they are sick of questions or maybe sick jokes as to whats happened but I always find Towers staff to be over the top happy and friendly.
Maybe im reading too much into it just being Smiler staff.....perhaps with all the cuts all the staff are a little under the weather so to speak.
Theres one ride op on smiler called Dave who still gives a little wave as u get dispatched but on the whole i find it is whats missing for me.
Aidan Lowe

Stellafella wrote:I decided to go to the park today.
Not really a day in history to be smiling which could of played a part in their overall mood. The staff are usually spot on across the park.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Justin

Stellafella wrote:I can imagine they are sick of questions or maybe sick jokes as to whats happened but I always find Towers staff to be over the top happy and friendly.
Maybe im reading too much into it just being Smiler staff.....perhaps with all the cuts all the staff are a little under the weather so to speak.
Theres one ride op on smiler called Dave who still gives a little wave as u get dispatched but on the whole i find it is whats missing for me.
I was on park today and they were all OK :)
Themeparksandy1981

I can tell you it has effected people's minds a lot. I got my sun free tickets for July and the misses is having a op so can't do much for 8 weeks after so I offered 1 ticket to my work mates and most of them said neither I value my arms and legs or why do u wanna go back there. Going with my best man instead but couldn't believe how the non theme park fans have really turned there back on Theme parks.
Stellafella

Andy Mc wrote:
Stellafella wrote:I decided to go to the park today.
Not really a day in history to be smiling which could of played a part in their overall mood. The staff are usually spot on across the park.
Yeah like i said not just today but on most the visits ive made to the Smiler this year.
To me its really noticeable but then ive always judged the park on the staff. Ive always said the staff make it, as they are so friendly.
xylyx

I've been twice this year and made the smiler the focus of both visits and the staff have been very smiley on both occasions. I guess it's just how you catch them plus with yesterday being the anniversary I'll bet it played on a few minds