SeaWorld Orlando

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Owen

Even so, I’d be very shocked if the majority of the 10% was down to bad weather. A good chunk maybe, but not the majority...
MakoMania

Owen wrote:Even so, I’d be very shocked if the majority of the 10% was down to bad weather. A good chunk maybe, but not the majority...
It was the majority, but as you allude it wasn't everything. Perception issues resurfaced in California due to reduced marketing spend for example. I do have some hope for San Diego in 2018 though as season pass sales are currently up double digits at that park.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Owen

Whatever you say, as others have said above other paths seem to be ok so I will remain understandably on the fence.

Is there anywhere that states the damage costs anyway? I would be interested in seeing that :-k
MakoMania

Owen wrote:Whatever you say, as others have said above other paths seem to be ok so I will remain understandably on the fence.

Is there anywhere that states the damage costs anyway? I would be interested in seeing that :-k
I don't think there has been a damage cost reported, I guess it would depend on wether or not SW decided to pay for it themselves or go through insurance and risk putting premiums up (very simplified approach I know :P).

One thing that people always forget is that adverse weather always affects SeaWorld and Busch Gardens more than it does Disney & Universal because of the huge differences in the on-site accommodation situations. SeaWorld draws from a more reigonal base who don't stay on resort and can afford to pick and choose when they visit, this is also the group that will have had their own property to deal with in the aftermath of the storms meaning that a visit to a theme park is firmly at the bottom of their to do list. Besides, Disney & Universal didn't have a devastating Texas hurricane to deal with as well as Irma.
theparklifekid

Boats to Infinity Falls revealed at IAPPA!
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
abigsmurf

They're are some PR images of the boats floating around now, it's interesting in that they've not got seatbelts. Does seem like they've paid attension to Drayton Manor though, higher seatbacks (looks like it's 'topple-safe' height for kids standing on a seat), meshing in the gaps and guardrails around the exits to prevent people switching sides.

Still means someone could stand up or shuffle around on the drop but I'd guess the drop isn't going to be intense enough to fling someone from a boat, I've never experienced a raft type ride drop that's has acceleration even comparable to even a mild log flume. Hoping this manages to topple Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges as my favourite rapids ride, always like it when parks try to push family rides to the next level.
MakoMania

abigsmurf wrote:They're are some PR images of the boats floating around now, it's interesting in that they've not got seatbelts. Does seem like they've paid attension to Drayton Manor though, higher seatbacks (looks like it's 'topple-safe' height for kids standing on a seat), meshing in the gaps and guardrails around the exits to prevent people switching sides.

Still means someone could stand up or shuffle around on the drop but I'd guess the drop isn't going to be intense enough to fling someone from a boat, I've never experienced a raft type ride drop that's has acceleration even comparable to even a mild log flume. Hoping this manages to topple Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges as my favourite rapids ride, always like it when parks try to push family rides to the next level.
Whilst the model vehicle does not feature seat belts, I can confirm that when the ride opens there will be seat belts :)
Ladyofthelake

An interesting tweet has appeared today showing that the VR headsets have seemingly been removed from at least one of the trains on Kraken. Kraken Unleased has been having issues with its VR element for a while now, however it is somewhat of a surprise to see it gone completely. At this stage it is not known if the removal is permanent or just a temporary mesure to rectify the issues the VR is having, however I've seen quite a few comments from people who would be quite happy to see the VR gone permanently.

If the removal of the VR is permanent, that will mean it will have lasted less than a year, something which will undoubtedly be disappointing for Seaworld given the amount they invested in it. I've personally never been a fan of VR on any rollercoaster and do kind of hope that it is gone for good and other places will follow in removing VR.
MakoMania

Saw this earlier, hallelujah!

The VR was quite good but the hit on capacity when combined with its unreliability was never going to be sustainable.

They had already been forced to designate rows 1-4 as non VR in an attempt to speed up operations anyway.
Dan

Good!

Kraken is a brilliant coaster that didn’t need VR strapping to it in the first place.

Now all we need is for all the other parks that have retrofitted VR to coasters to see the light and remove it, the industry would be so much better for it.
Justin

VR does not belong on coasters... never has, never will!

I have no objection if they developed a VR experience on a robo arm, but even then, I think this is a push as everything should be experienced for real!
Owen

Kraken was a fantastic VR coaster, and if I’m honest I’ll be disappointed to see it go as it added something to the ride - and it was far better than Galactica.

That being said this could just be the third train which as far as I’m aware never had VR in the first place...
MakoMania

All 3 trains did have VR added :)

The ride is still listed as a VR attraction online so who know's what's going on. The only thing we know for sure is that they have physically removed the entire VR system from at least one train.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Both trains running yesterday had VR removed.

It’s not just the physical equipment either - the handles and brackets have also been taken off.

Still amazingly smooth for nearly 20 years old.
streetmagix

I was there on Friday the 19th Jan and operations were DIRE. 2 trains both with VR, average time to dispatch was 4-5 minutes. They had VR on all rows and were preparing and cleaning each VR headset no matter if you wore it or not. 

I worked out (because I was bored) that at 5 minute dispatches the throughout was 360 riders per hour. On a B&M.

I had 2 rides on it on an otherwise dead day, both sans-VR, and loved it but I couldn't stand the 5 minute dispatches. The only slight headbanging was into the corkscrew I think.

I loved Mako and Manta though, both running really well and both were incredible forceful. The amount of ejector airtime on Mako was pretty surprising. I have this theory that B&Ms prefer slightly cooler temperatures, Silver Star was flying in 8-10c temps just before Christmas.
MakoMania

Plans uncovered for the new Sesame Street Land supposedly opening in 2019:

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Screamscape have reported the following rumour for why Kraken’s VR was removed:
It seems insurance companies became involved and the park was made to remove the VR gear. Despite running on the ride for about 8-9 months, a few issues came up with the mounting hardware added to the trains that needed to be dealt with. Along the way it was discovered that no engineering firm had ever “signed off” on the mounting system being approved for use on the coaster, and certainly not B&M themselves who had nothing to do with it.

You see, unlike other VR installations on most coasters that just headgear on the riders, Kraken VR was done with the intent of hardwiring most of the gear to the train itself to try and speed up the load/unload process. But unsanctioned mounting hardware would put the park at fault if something bad were to happen, like a mount failing and the VR gear flying off mid-ride, and now you can see why the park's insurance company has became involved. End result... No more Kraken VR. For the time being at least...
Chris
Admin
Admin

I wonder how Alton approached this issue then? They are very similar set ups.
streetmagix

The VR headsets on Galactica are attached to the seats using velcro (or similar). I think the only additional wiring was to do with the battery pack and sensors.

Seaworld actually replaced the handles on the restraints with a custom designed bit of metal work. No way was it designed by B&M, it looked so different. 
stealthyjim

I’ll be visiting the park in March and can only hope that the VR hasn’t returned by then. I first rode Kraken in the pre-VR days and was seriously impressed. It’s a great coaster and if the VR experience is anything like Galactica, it only detracts enjoyment from an amazing ride.