SeaWorld Orlando

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ladyofthelake

Ok, whilst this current discussion is related to the topic, it is probably best that it's taken to PM if you would like to continue it further as it it becoming more of a personal exchange with the requests for specific information. 
Alex

Sorry Lakey I thought it was still relevant to the discussion, I will take it to PM instead.
Owen

The Electric Ocean soundtrack is now available for purchase on iTunes and Google Play! :)
MakoMania

CatCatCat on Inside Universal has created a rather impressive and accurate diagram of the layout of Infinity Falls and its surrounding area (that for some reason can't embed). It shows the huge scale of this ride, there will actually be 3 lift hills (two traditional and one vertical elevator) and large parts of the queue will be either shaded or completely indoors. As we already knew, the Terrace Garden and animal ambassador buildings will be remaining but will be refurbished.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Chris
Admin
Admin

MakoMania

SeaWorld Orlando is currently caring for many animals that have had to be rescued or relocated due to Hurricane Irma. Five Bottlenose Dolphins arrived from Dolphin Connection prior to the storm, several Manatees have been rescued and the aviculture team continues to care for displaced and injured birds.
SeaWorld recently passed the milestone of 31,000 animal rescues!
Robert.W

This is the sort of thing that some animal rights activists don't think about. If there was no SeaWorld, then other rescue facilities would suffer even more pressure. I think it is great that SeaWorld has the facilitys to help animals after natural disasters like Hurricane Irma - it just shows what SeaWorld is really about.

MakoMania

Ray Rush, coming to SeaWorld Orlando's Aquatica in 2018!

Aquatica has also recently been voted as Orlando's best waterpark by the Orlando Sentinel! Well deserved after the flop that was Volcano Bay.
Adz
Admin
Admin

That looks lovely. I really liked Aquatica on the last two visits to Orlando and with that addition it possibly edges out Volcano Bay in terms of what slides the park has. 

They just need some sort of LSM Aquacoaster now and there will be no reason to tolerate Volcano Bay and the awful TapuTapu. 
Luce

That does look cool and one of many reasons to go back to Florida at some point :)
Owen

It’s nice to see something new here! Whilst for me personally this had nothing on Volcano Bay it was still a good park, but this addition is definitely going to improve things. Hopefully it’ll bring back visitors from Volcano Bay as that’ll help with both parks, adding visitor numbers here and maybe stopping Volcano Bay from hitting capacity every day :lol
Danny

Looks like this will be a great addition, I thoroughly enjoyed something similar to this at Siam Park recently, so this would definitely persuade me to visit over some of the other Florida options :)
MakoMania

SeaWorld Orlando have announced their 2018 lineup of special events. This lineup is the biggest in the history of the park and complements the opening of Infinity Falls at SeaWorld as well as Ray Rush at Aquatica.

Daily Jan 1st-6th: "Three Kings Day"

Saturdays Jan 20th-Feb 10th: "Praise Wave"

Weekends Feb 17th-Apr 15th: "Seven Seas Food Festival"

Weekends Apr 21st-May 15th: "Just for Kids"

Select dates May 25th-Sept 2nd: "Electric Ocean"

Weekends Sept 29th-Oct 28th: "Halloween Spooktacular"

Select dates Nov 23rd-Dec 31st: "Christmas Celebration"

Dec 31st: "New Year's Eve at SeaWorld"

Three Kings Day and Just for Kids will be all new events for 2018 whilst Electric Ocean will be extended for 2018 given its huge popularity this year.
MakoMania

It has been confirmed that SeaWorld Orlando will recieve a major new investment every single year for at least the next 5 years :)
KrakenKray

https://www.ft.com/content/3c9a4f63-7ff7-3a0c-85ba-77add7c8e1c3

Seaworld has posted pretty poor results in the last quarter with revenue dropping by 10%
MakoMania

KrakenKray wrote:https://www.ft.com/content/3c9a4f63-7ff7-3a0c-85ba-77add7c8e1c3

Seaworld has posted pretty poor results in the last quarter with revenue dropping by 10%
Yeah, not exactly a surprise since more than half of the company's parks were damaged and temporarily closed by hurricanes in the same quarter. The market was expecting worse as shares are up.

It's not all doom & gloom though, season pass sales are up across the company and SeaWorld San Antonio will achive EBITDA growth for the first time in forever.
KrakenKray

Not sure you can attribute a 10% fall to the Hurricane, yes it wouldn't have helped but there's more underlying factors. I very much doubt Universal's or Dinsey's revenue will have dropped by 10%.

Plus there's going to be more cost cutting so it's not exactly all rosy 
MakoMania

KrakenKray wrote:Not sure you can attribute a 10% fall to the Hurricane, yes it wouldn't have helped but there's more underlying factors. I very much doubt Universal's or Dinsey's revenue will have dropped by 10%.

Plus there's going to be more cost cutting so it's not exactly all rosy 
You're absolutely correct, but as you say, the hurricanes in Texas & Florida did have a significant impact.
Owen

I’d be very shocked to see a large amount of that 10% being due to a 2 day closure.

In regards to the cuts I’ve got to admit whilst I did love seaworld it was shocking to see how little was actually open! I thought merlin was bad for food outlets but on my visit none of the food locations were open until around mid-day, and even then it was only a sprinkling. :|
MakoMania

Owen wrote:I’d be very shocked to see a large amount of that 10% being due to a 2 day closure.

In regards to the cuts I’ve got to admit whilst I did love seaworld it was shocking to see how little was actually open! I thought merlin was bad for food outlets but on my visit none of the food locations were open until around mid-day, and even then it was only a sprinkling. :|
What you say about food outlets is true, I've noticed it as well, although it is probably not as bad in the peak month of July when I usually visit. They used to have Seafire open for Breakfast, not sure if they still do that.

In terms of the 2 day closure (some parks were shut for more than 2 days), it's useful to think of it as 20+ park days cancelled throughout the quarter due to seperate hurricanes in Florida (5 parks) & Texas (2 parks) as well as adverse weather causing closures in Virginia (2 parks). As well as that lost revenue & attendance you also have repair costs, that's when you start seeing the full EBITDA effects.