Europa Park

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Robert.W

It's looking like the rest of the Scandinavian area is suffering pretty badly.

Source: unknown
Last edited by Robert.W on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Swarm Chris

That is awful.

Two areas (Batavia and Norway) are reportedly completely gone from Michael Mack. [Edit- duplicate info from a previous post]

Really hope they evacuated everyone safely. I believe at the moment they are still saying no known injuries at this time and I hope it stays that way.
streetmagix

Am I right in thinking that Pirates in Batavia didn't have any lapbars? Hopefully that helped evacuation (assuming the ride was operating at the time). It's still very shocking, I know that area was old but I'm amazed the show building burnt in such a way. I really hope that no one was injured and everyone is accounted for.

I hope they can recover and rebuilt, I'm sure they will. It will leave a big hole in the centre of the park though.
Ladyofthelake

It seems that the fire is now under control according to this tweet.

Europa's Rapids also look to be pretty badly affected by the fire, however Michael Mack has tweeted that Iceland, Portugal, Luxembourg Place and Colonial Place are all safe.
Robert.W

Update
Europa-Park Sprecher wrote:
Current information:

According to fire brigade firefighters, the fire has been extinguished in the meantime and there are still a few re-firing work in progress. The park opens at 9.00 as planned. Unfortunately, the topics Scandinavia and Holland are currently not available.

This currently affects the attractions: Pirates in Batavia, Koffiekopjes, Vindjammer and Fjord Rafting.
We ask for your understanding, if some processes may not work perfectly smoothly.

Swarm Chris

A few more attractions are closed, from the Europa site: https://www.europapark.de/de/aktuelle-i ... arkbetrieb (German version may be more up-to-date than the English version)

For now the following topics are closed:

Holland
Scandinavia

Currently the following attractions are not in operation:

Koffiekopjes
Vindjammer
Pirates in Batavia
Panorama Lift
Jungle rafting
Monorail
Fjord rafting

Currently the following gastronomy offers are not in operation:

Restaurant Bamboe Baai
Fjord Restaurant
Robert.W

This is what's left...

Source: Looopings
Last edited by Justin on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SJW

Sad news, but good that no one appears to have been injured.
Robert.W

Update

Europa Park recently confirmed that they have been working hard to get Koffiekopjes, which is located in the Dutch themed area, open later this week, and that the park are hoping to have Fjord Rafting, which is located in the Scandinavian themed area, open within the next few weeks. While Koffiekopjes didn't sustain any damage directly, the Dutch themed facades may have needed work to make them safe to open the area around the ride, whilst Fjord Rafting wasn't so lucky, and may have sustained damage to the ride's tunnel, as well as the need for the heavily damaged buildings along the side of the trench to be fully demolished for safety, and the base of the rapids cleaned of soot from the fire.

Europa Park have also confirmed that Piraten in Batavia will be replaced with a new ride suitable for all the family, and that Mack are already coming up with the first initial ideas for the new attraction. 

Demolition of other unstable buildings and themed facades is also underway in an effort to make more areas of the park safe for guests to use, and improve guests flow though the park.

Images from Looopings.

Stan.H

Europa Park really does gain my respect, it's so obvious they care about each and every guests' visit to the park.  If this were to happen in a Merlin park it'd just be left to the side with minimal work being done, with the majority done during the off-season. It really is great that EP is trying to get the majority of affected attractions up and running as soon as they possibly can, and instantly thinking of a replacement family ride for 'Piraten in Batavia'. I Really hope to be in the position to get out to EP soon, as it seems like such a great park with so much effort and respect put into it. 
Gavinr

It really is a lovely place. The theming is spectacular. I was so impressed when I went last July.
Dom

Whilst the fire was terrible, one thing I did notice was how stunning some of the pictures looked that were coming from social media on the day of the fire. It is such a shame that this happened to what everyone calls a magnificent park and I'm glad to hear that plans are already being planned to get over the fire and replace rides as quickly as possible. Good on Europa!
Robert.W

Update

A criminal investigation is currently underway at Europa Park to determine the cause of the huge fire which burned down a large portion of the Scandinavian themed area as well as completely destroying the Piraten in Batavia dark ride. So far, forensic findings suggest the cause of the fire to be due to a "technical defect" on the Fjord Rafting rapids attraction, which may come as a surprise to many as the original cause was thought to have been located in a warehouse / storage area of some sort. 

Image from Looopings.

In other news, Michael Mack has commented this:
And yes, the Pirates are coming back! We can't give any details yet, but you'll get a place again.
Which is pretty encouraging to hear at such an early stage. It'll be very interesting to see what they have planned! 
Last edited by Dan on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ladyofthelake

Europa Park have confirmed officially on their Facebook Page what Michael Mack said last night - the Pirates will be returning!!
Today we can confirm that the pirates will return to Europa-Park!

We're already busy thinking about a concept for the new family ride in our Dutch themed area!

Please understand we can't announce any specific plans today - but we can say that the new attraction will be a themed dark ride!
It's good to see official confirmation that the Park will be replacing the ride with another family dark ride as opposed to any other possibe concept. It'll be exciting to see exactly what the Mack family come up with. One thing is for sure though - whatever it is is sure to be done incredibly well.
Robert.W

Fjord Rafting Reopens!

The rapids ride, Fjord Rafting has reopened at Europa Park today, even after forensic evidence found suggested that the ride was in fact the cause of the fire that destroyed a large portion of the Scandinavian themed area, the Piraten in Batavia dark ride and parts of the Fjord Rafting ride itself. Europa Park have even made the extra effort to create a themed wall along the edges of the water channel!

Image Source
Europa Park Sprecher wrote:
With great pleasure, we can announce that our Fjord Rafting attraction is now open again for visitors! We wish refreshing refreshment and thank all involved again for their tireless efforts! #europapark #fjordrafting #firstboat

Chris
Admin
Admin

Such an incredible park. What's the betting that the entire facade will be back along that route next year?
Robert.W

Actually, in the area shown in the picture above, there used to be a tunnel with some sort of special effects and scenery inside of it, which ended just before the water channel widens. The green tarp is where the Fjord Restaurant used to be (which is also above some of the machinery for the rapids which is why there is an opening to allow the water though). The picture is only a view of half of what was destroyed sadly, as around the corner from the Fjord Restaurant, all the buildings along the edge of the water channel were also completely destroyed.

So, there is a lot of stuff that needs completely rebuilt. I'd like to think, especially with the rate of construction and demolition that has taken place already, that we'll have Scandinavia back completely by this time next year, but even for Europa Park this is a massive development to undertake. I think they'll do it though. If anyone can, it's Europa.

Robert.W

Eurosat – CanCan Coaster News

A small while back, Europa Park revealed that Eurosat – CanCan Coaster would finally be opening in mid September this year, after originally being planned for opening this summer. The attraction is now slated to open on Wednesday 12th September, although the park anticipate that it's possible that the ride may open a few days prior to the officially stated opening.

Image: EuropaStreet

Since then, construction has really picked up some pace, with lots of progress on many of the new facades, as well as the replica of Le Moulin Rouge famous red windmill having recently been installed as part of the new themed facades around the Eurosat sphere. Europa Park even released a time-lapse video of its installation!

[/center]

Scandinavia and Piraten in Batavia News

Europa Park have also revealed an ambitious schedule for the entire reconstruction and reopening of the areas destroyed in the fire in May. The Scandinavian themed area will be completely rebuilt ready for the 2019 summer season, while Piraten in Batavia will be rebuilt ready for the 2019 / 2020 winter season. The reconstruction will begin as soon as all demolition work on the site has been completed, with most of the construction being done towards the end of the season.

Whilst Piraten in Batavia will be rebuilt faithfully to the original plans by the designer Ulrich Damrau, the burning city scene is said to be being scrapped in favour of something different. The picture below gives a glimpse at the current state of the site.

Image: Badische Zeitung

Robert.W

Michael Mack tweeted this image of the signage for Eurosat – CanCan Coaster earlier this morning. Looks stunning!  :love

Also... Thomas Mack gave this statement in an interview with a local radio...
Thomas Mack said:
"I already tested it, everyone who knows Eurosat can be excited, since we kept the layout by our grandfather. But the coaster is much smoother now and is really fun to ride. In September there will be the grand-opening-celebration, but for our guests the coaster will already open in August."

Swarm Chris

Looopings are reporting that two monorails collided, leaving two people mildly injured.
In Europa Park two monorail trains collided on Saturday morning. Around 09.30 hours two vehicles of the EP Express collided with the theme hotel El Andaluz. Two people were slightly injured, reports the police.

According to eyewitnesses, a train with passengers collided with an empty train. How the accident could happen is still being investigated.