SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Burniel

ATI wrote:I'd love to see a smaller-scale B&M wing coaster (similar to Raptor at Gardaland) come to the park, as Alton Towers is the only major Merlin park to not have one, and it would be a great fit for their line up...
You'd have to dig quite the pit in order to fit a Raptor-scale wing coaster within the park's height restrictions. Raptor's already 108ft and, being the prototype, doesn't have a dive drop (which I imagine will require more height). As nice as it would be, I don't really see it being feasible, unless it were on a much smaller scale (which would just be a bit lame in my opinion).
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
ThatGalacticaFan02

Burniel wrote:
ATI wrote:I'd love to see a smaller-scale B&M wing coaster (similar to Raptor at Gardaland) come to the park, as Alton Towers is the only major Merlin park to not have one, and it would be a great fit for their line up...
You'd have to dig quite the pit in order to fit a Raptor-scale wing coaster within the park's height restrictions. Raptor's already 108ft and, being the prototype, doesn't have a dive drop (which I imagine will require more height). As nice as it would be, I don't really see it being feasible, unless it were on a much smaller scale (which would just be a bit lame in my opinion).
'Quite the pit' makes me immediately want to scream.

Oblivion, although it looks small, has a height of 55 feet but a drop of 180. I think 'QUite the pit' is an exaggeration. Plus they can terraform, you know, why not have a natural gradient? I mean, they only have to dig down 7 metres - their tallest coaster is 25 metres tall... 25 and 7 is 32 metres, which is about as tall as Raptor.

Personally, I think that a diving drop wouldn't add too much height - you're only going to see half a train IF the coaster is close to the front of the park, they can always buy land towards the back.
ASturge21

SW9 will be interesting because DBGT hasn't been a great success so Merlin might not be keen on a dark ride. For SW9 I'd personally like to see Rita get replaced but with what would depend on what's on the market come 2020/21.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Dom

ThatGalacticaFan02 wrote:
Burniel wrote:
'Quite the pit' makes me immediately want to scream.

Oblivion, although it looks small, has a height of 55 feet but a drop of 180. I think 'QUite the pit' is an exaggeration. Plus they can terraform, you know, why not have a natural gradient? I mean, they only have to dig down 7 metres - their tallest coaster is 25 metres tall... 25 and 7 is 32 metres, which is about as tall as Raptor.

Personally, I think that a diving drop wouldn't add too much height - you're only going to see half a train IF the coaster is close to the front of the park, they can always buy land towards the back.

The general rule is it can't be seen above the trees, so in theory they would need to dig a pit to get any real drop in that would be worth building to begin with. Space wise, AT probably do have the room for one, but why build one that has to compete against Swarm, so I most likely won't happen
ASturge21 wrote:SW9 will be interesting because DBGT hasn't been a great success so Merlin might not be keen on a dark ride. For SW9 I'd personally like to see Rita get replaced but with what would depend on what's on the market come 2020/21.
I think a lot of people would prefer that Rita gets replaced, but it is a popular coaster, so if they were to replace it, I think it should be replaced with another launch coaster.
MakoMania

Just throwing in a random suggestion/wish: RMC T Rex in Forbidden Valley, maybe launched if they can't get a decent height for a lift hill.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
ASturge21

MakoMania wrote:Just throwing in a random suggestion/wish: RMC T Rex in Forbidden Valley, maybe launched if they can't get a decent height for a lift hill.
Unfortunately I don't think we will see an RMC at AT with SW8 being a GCI the two would be viewed as too similar but you never know it is probably 5 years away from opening.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
OhShambhala

Personally I would like to see a large scale Dark Ride similar to curse of DarkCastle at BGW or Spiderman at UO maybe on the coach park behind Katanga Kanyon. Unfortunately, I can't see merlin doing this due to the failure of DGBT (financially) so a coaster I would like to see is a large Mack Mega or MegaLite coaster in Forbidden Valley which follows the terrain and maybe even enters the valley.
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
MakoMania

ASturge21 wrote:
MakoMania wrote:Just throwing in a random suggestion/wish: RMC T Rex in Forbidden Valley, maybe launched if they can't get a decent height for a lift hill.
Unfortunately I don't think we will see an RMC at AT with SW8 being a GCI the two would be viewed as too similar but you never know it is probably 5 years away from opening.
I'm talking about an RMC T Rex model though. Nothing like a GCI wooden coaster, it's not even wooden!
OhShambhala

I'm sure RMC T-Rex's have a very small capacity of around 650 pph. I don't know if this would be suitable for Towers?
MakoMania

OhShambhala wrote:I'm sure RMC T-Rex's have a very small capacity of around 650 pph. I don't know if this would be suitable for Towers?
Didn't stop them with Spinball/Galactica :lol

The smaller track configuration does have a lower throughput, but the larger track configuration should be able to get through about 1000pph if I remember correctly.
OhShambhala

MakoMania wrote:
OhShambhala wrote:I'm sure RMC T-Rex's have a very small capacity of around 650 pph. I don't know if this would be suitable for Towers?
Didn't stop them with Spinball/Galactica :lol

The smaller track configuration does have a lower throughput, but the larger track configuration should be able to get through about 1000pph if I remember correctly.
Very true 8-[
jaybee85

I'm not going to judge Derren Brown's Ghost Train, simply because I haven't been on it yet (long story), but I like the idea of that sort of attraction for Towers. I hope that Towers do something better with the Duel building and phase out Gloomy Wood. With Duel, I just feel that there is FAR TOO MUCH going on, there's everything and the kitchen sink jumping out at you, and it's very noisy and very smelly in there. And what with Hex, Thirteen, SubTerra, and to an extent The Smiler, they've got enough going on in more nuanced scare attractions.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I'd also like to see the Charlie building and the Wobble World building used for indoor attractions with a Dark Forest theme.

Now that Towers has a separate Water Park, I'm not sure if they really need to put another water-based ride in the main park.
AltonOperator

jaybee85 wrote:I'd also like to see the Charlie building and the Wobble World building used for indoor attractions with a Dark Forest theme.
I would love to see a dark forest themed water ride. you could probably keep the ride system, with a little refurbishment and extension. I think Alton towers needs a big dark/water ride as they are really lacking everything that isn't a roller coaster or a kiddie ride.
Thanks Jack
Frontdoordumbledore

Mack launch in DF plz

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Last edited by lewis97 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made correction
OhShambhala

The only thing Alton Towers will have lacking from their lineup after SW8 will be an airtime packed megalite of some sort, maybe like Alpina Blitz at Nigloland!
Owen

I'm sure they'll think of something else that hasn't even entered people's minds before - have to have that USP! ;)
MakoMania

Although an RMC woodie or even a T-Rex in Forbidden Valley would be rather nice ;)

Having said that I'd like B&M to get involved with Towers again, maybe for SW10. Wing coaster to replace Rita would be brill!
OhShambhala

MakoMania wrote:Although an RMC woodie or even a T-Rex in Forbidden Valley would be rather nice ;)

Having said that I'd like B&M to get involved with Towers again, maybe for SW10. Wing coaster to replace Rita would be nice!
You never know. Alton may have stored that idea for SW9 so that SW8, a more family driven investment, could be implemented just after the Smiler crash!
Adam.W

For SW9 I am anticipating a modern dark ride. Perhaps something like Spiderman or Transformers in Universal Orlando. I feel like there is a severe lack of room for a large scale B&M coaster, and Towers doesn't really need another one, let's face it. I've voiced this before, but Alton really lacks modern dark rides which are up to the standards set by Disney and Universal. Sure, rides like that are unprecedented in the UK, but it would be a reliable investment which is known to work really well. If I had to guess where the dark ride would be, it would have to be in Cloud Cuckoo Land, which would be rethemed to fit the theme of whatever this ride will be. Overall, AT lacks a large scale, large investment non-coaster ride, which is really needed by the park.
Owen

Adam.W wrote:For SW9 I am anticipating a modern dark ride.
If there's something strange, in your neighbourhood...

Just me? :lol