SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
lxwis

This topic has probably already been discussed and its too early for this topic. But, where do you think SW9 will be? I was thinking Rita would be removed and then a new launch coaster would go in its place as SW9. Or Removing Spinball and adding something there. Its a hard topic because Towers dont have much space now. The new locations would be unrealistic but I'd like to see your views.
PhNx Survivor

Rita should go, and invest in a new Intamin Blitz coaster with 3 launchs, utilising the area Rita currently uses, and where UG Swinger and BoneShaker used to be.. this could potentially be a pretty long and well themed ride for Dark Forest.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
ATI

I think a low height Soaring With Dragon style ride would work, especially if the launch section were to be dug way below the tree line.
We were born to fly...
lxwis

Infact, due to the success of ICON at Pleasure Beach, we could see a LSM launch coaster in the Dark Forest. Maybe some Dark Ride sections too? That'd be good.
Rob
Admin
Admin

I can't see Rita going and being replaced any time soon and certainly not with the same sort of style of ride. A coaster construction replacing Rita would also most likely involve having to close Thirteen, that would be 2 coasters closed for the majority of at least one season. I wouldn't be surprised if SW9 wasn't a rollercoaster.
Coaster Chall

I wanna see Rita go but I do have an idea. Do you guys remember an old animation for SW7 for what the world's first element was, when the track was attached to like a rotating tunnel. Well, that could work with that Dark Forest vibe and theming. Especially if its a launch coaster cause Intamin and Mac, whichever one it would be, would use the wide car design that seats 4 per row and not 2. A different style seating arrangement for a AT launch coaster and also it would be a great world's first element for a launch coaster.

Or maybe remove Spinball to create a new area or maybe even bring back an old area, like Ug Land, in 2020 for the 40th anniversary and then the coaster in 2021 or 2022?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1agS8-7RQ
abigsmurf

I never understood why people thought that washing machine thing likely to happen. Slowly rotating upside down when stationary wouldn't be terribly thrilling or comfortable.
Firefly9972

I personally agree with the Intamin blitz idea. But as mentioned in the Alton Towers Dungeon forum, it might be that they expand the dark forest out into CCL and have a low to the ground style coaster. Or even something like the ride going to park asterix in 2021. However I also think that the removal of CRR is possible too and have a water coaster themed to Katanga Canyon.
Stevieg1993

Spinball should be removed to expand CBeebies Land. Just use that area for the kids. Maybe move some of the kids rides from Cloud Cuckoo Land and place them by Spinball. Remove Charlie, keep the colours for Cloud Cuckoo Land but theme it like it's been taken over by the Dark Forest, so make it rustic, branches, keep the swings and reinstall it like the Dark Forest has taken it over. Use the area as an expansion of the Dark Forest. Get rid of Rita and replace with a much thrilling, Intamin launch coaster which starts from Dark Forest and goes over to the other side and uses some of the room up.
Coaster Chall

I have been thinking and something great for SW9 is a launched Flume ride. Only cause you see the hydraulic water slide launches recently and I think something like that but an LSM launch especially built for water coasters and their manufacturers like Intamin or Mack.
Last edited by Chris on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please check your spelling, and don't use text speak.
AltonOperator

Coaster Chall wrote:I have been thinking and something great for SW9 is a launched Flume ride. Only cause you see the hydraulic water slide launches recently and I think something like that but an LSM launch especially built for water coasters and their manufacturers like Intamin or Mack.
Mack's PowerSplash model is a launched water coaster so that might be what you mean. Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04zylOzk1xo
I think a launched flume, however is extremely unlikely as the boat stays in water for the duration of the ride, except the station where it is held in place and rotated using friction. pulsar's launch is above the water level and doesn't ever launch directly in to water. I'd imagine the amount of force required to propel a boat through water would be far too high so it wouldn't get very far. You see this on regular log flumes - it does not take long for boats to slow down after a drop.
Furthermore, as boats are not on a track but floating in a trough, there is  little too much wiggle room for a boat to be able to reliably and safely engage to a launch system, though I suppose magnets could be used or something.
Thanks Jack
Swarm Chris

My thoughts are that the chance of a water ride being added back to the lineup is pretty slim. Could you imagine opening and press weekend? Please come and ride our new ride, in the snow/wind/rain.
Justin

I am personally not a big fan of water rides due to our climate. While these are great on hot days (and also very enjoyable) they are not the best for throughput across the park as queue times can be low on these, putting more strain on the other rides. I also don't like the feeling of being wet through and being cold. It is only just bearable on hot days! :)
abigsmurf

How about a heavily themed family launch coaster along the lines of the slinky dog coaster or the San diego Manta? Reasonably high capacity replacements for Rita, don't need to go above the tree line and are more obviously family than something like Thirteen which is still too intimidating to truly be a family coaster.

That said, a log flume is a theme park staple, I'm hoping they're looking at some sort of water ride to fill the gap, even if it's not one that gets you wet. Tiger Rock shows that Merlin do recognize that they're a draw. Not sure they'd do this as an SW unless they do a megabudget dark ride, possibly for something after SW9 (or next year depending on how long SW9 will take).
Stan.H

Thirteen is definitely not too intimidating to be a family coaster, the same could be argued with Wicker Man. Although I'd personally like a new thrill coaster, which I'm sure the majority of us do want I suppose a new family one isn't of the cards, I personally highly doubt it'll be family orientated and they will build a new thrill coaster. 

But the idea of Slinky Dog type coaster is pretty cool and would work well in quite a few different areas of the park. 
abigsmurf

Stan.H wrote:Thirteen is definitely not too intimidating to be a family coaster, the same could be argued with Wicker Man. Although I'd personally like a new thrill coaster, which I'm sure the majority of us do want I suppose a new family one isn't of the cards, I personally highly doubt it'll be family orientated and they will build a new thrill coaster. 

But the idea of Slinky Dog type coaster is pretty cool and would work well in quite a few different areas of the park. 
A lot of people who love the mine train nope out seeing the first drop to Thirteen which is very steep for a family coaster, plus Merlin still market it as a white knuckle ride. 
Compare it to the Dark Forest coaster layout at Universal which is more obviously a family coaster, all the larger drops are heavily banked.
Dom

I hope they avoid the launch coaster route. Yes, I can see the argument for it, especially if you take Rita existing out of the equation, but I think it would be cool if the park kept with the simple idea, like Wicker Man. By simple I mean old school. Wicker Man was such a hit for the park that it would be silly to stray to far from the simple idea. I'd like a simple, fun, slightly thrilling coaster. A coaster doesn't need to a gimmick to be a hit, as proven with Wicker Man. 
MakoMania

Launch coasters aren't gimmicks in any way. In practical terms, they are perfectly suited to a park like Alton Towers which cannot have a high lift hill in most areas.

We need a thrill ride for SW9, it has been nearly 6 years since the last one.

An Intamin blitz in Forbidden Valley would do the job nicely.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Swarm Chris

A launch coaster makes the most sense given Alton's restrictions. Perhaps there's a gimmick side of things in terms of it being the current fashion for roller coasters. However, it allows a pretty decent level of freedom to control the rides flow that gravity based rides lack.

If they went for a launch coaster, they would need to outdo Blackpool in some manner, to distinguish itself to the public. The simplest way I can see to do that is through theming. Market the experience, not the ride's technical features.

My feeling is that SW9 will be more family based, or family thrill. I wonder if Wicker Man has showed Merlin that rides can be marketed on more than intensity alone. That building something that as many people can enjoy as possible, will end up with more guests coming through the gates. Plus Varney has made a fair few mentions of shared experiences for families recently.

I could see SW9 being their most heavily themed attraction. Something that taps into Alton's magic and that has things to get everyone excited for. I have it in my mind that Merlin bought into the interactive magic wands at one of their European parks, following Universal and Efteling this year I believe. I could see them bringing that to Alton and if they wanted to do it properly, rather than just a cheap cash grab, a new well themed world would be a great way of doing it.
Dom

MakoMania wrote:Launch coasters aren't gimmicks in any way. In practical terms, they are perfectly suited to a park like Alton Towers which cannot have a high lift hill in most areas.

We need a thrill ride for SW9, it has been nearly 6 years since the last one.

An Intamin blitz in Forbidden Valley would do the job nicely.
I feel I just need to clarify that I don't think launch coasters are a gimmick. By my gimmick statement i meant like their usual worlds first gimmick idea. Also AT have managed for many years without launches. If memory serves me right (Which it probably isn't) AT have only had 1 launch coaster out of all the ones it has had, and all bar Rita have always been a hit with enthusiasts. 
Swarm Chris wrote:A launch coaster makes the most sense given Alton's restrictions. Perhaps there's a gimmick side of things in terms of it being the current fashion for roller coasters. However, it allows a pretty decent level of freedom to control the rides flow that gravity based rides lack.

If they went for a launch coaster, they would need to outdo Blackpool in some manner, to distinguish itself to the public. The simplest way I can see to do that is through theming. Market the experience, not the ride's technical features.

My feeling is that SW9 will be more family based, or family thrill. I wonder if Wicker Man has showed Merlin that rides can be marketed on more than intensity alone. That building something that as many people can enjoy as possible, will end up with more guests coming through the gates. Plus Varney has made a fair few mentions of shared experiences for families recently.

I could see SW9 being their most heavily themed attraction. Something that taps into Alton's magic and that has things to get everyone excited for. I have it in my mind that Merlin bought into the interactive magic wands at one of their European parks, following Universal and Efteling this year I believe. I could see them bringing that to Alton and if they wanted to do it properly, rather than just a cheap cash grab, a new well themed world would be a great way of doing it.
I agree. I think Merlin would stick with the family thrill market as Wicker Man was a hit and they have a habit of repeating on successes. I don't think they will go down the interactive magic wand idea as other places would already have it and Merlin would be late to the party, though that being said, I've just convinced myself that they will now do :lol