SW9

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
rainbowryder

The thing is, I feel like there needs to be a way of pulling people back to the park after all national restrictions are lifted. The best way to do it is obviously investment. I don't know how finances are managed for the park or Merlin, but I do know that loans are taken out for the construction of large attractions and then paid back by the profit made after opening. Maybe we will still see SW9 in 2022 or 2023, maybe we won't. We just have to wait and see I guess. I think the only things we can speculate on at the moment is the possible coaster type and location of SW9. 
Coaster Chall

Cannot agree more and to be honest, my theory since Wicker Man opened has always been Rita's site, with some kind of launch coaster or something else,then a launch coaster somewhere else in the park at a different year.
abigsmurf

The problem with the Rita site (aside from its proximity to Thirteen and the skyride) is that they'd still probably end up having to cut down trees for any sort of interesting coaster layout. A better solution, if they're able to get permission to cut down a small number of younger trees, would be to demolish the Woodcutter's Bar and Grill. That would give a fairly significant plaza about the same size as Taron. Other options involve making the oblivion queue more compact, getting rid of the arcase and filling up the space in X-sector (would make it a bit crowded mind).

The big advantage of these multi-launch coasters is that they have ultra flexible layouts and having a layout that twists and turns plays to its strengths.

The depressing prospect to consider is also that the Congo River Rapids takes up huge amounts of space and is often a bit sad and depressing given how often they run it turned down with the waterfalls turned off so you often end up with a boat full of completely dry people. Not sure I could forgive them if they didn't replace it with another family water ride mind. 
Coaster Chall

Yeah I absolutely agree. I think if they were to gete rid of Woodcutters, then they'd need a new restaurant to replace it in the lineup. Ever since The Flume left the park, I've wanted a family water ride, something even the size of a Twist n Splash themed to pirates, a Galactica theme or something else.
rainbowryder

abigsmurf wrote:Other options involve making the oblivion queue more compact, getting rid of the arcase and filling up the space in X-sector (would make it a bit crowded mind).
Yesss, I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at Alton Towers on the satellite view. The Oblivion queue takes up an unreasonably large space. If the queue is in a smaller area to one side, and the other side is used along with the Submission site and possibly the Enterprise site, that would be a decently large area for another coaster. I am pretty sure Enterprise could easily be moved to another area of the park, if it isn't nearing it's end of life. X Sector would be so cool with 3 coasters. It would be nice for the third coaster to be enclosed, also preventing noise complaints from the locals. 
Coaster Chall

What kind of coaster would be added in that site though? Would it be something with a lift hill or a launch and would it be low to the ground, a twisting & turning type coaster?
rainbowryder

Coaster Chall wrote:What kind of coaster would be added in that site though? Would it be something with a lift hill or a launch and would it be low to the ground, a twisting & turning type coaster?
It can't be that big. Personally, I'd like to see an Aquatrax, with short steep lift hills and short launches 
Coaster Chall

Yeah that would be nice. It would be nice if Mack Rides did an extended Powersplash layout that's more of a water coaster than just two inclines at either side and a splashdown. Also something similar to an Aquatrax, like a Chiapas style system maybe, would be nice.
Colsaddan

I don't know when it'll come due to COVID-19 but I think an Intamin Blitz or a B&M Hyper would be my 2 personal choices! I don't know how you could get the hyper in but I think both of these would really compliment the lineup! I also like the idea of a water coaster like the one in Aquashow Park in Portugal where they could alter how wet you get based on the time of year so it would be more appealing to for the whole year. You could have a platform by the main drop that is like a splash zone and also very photogenic for the marketing team!
Liam.W

A B&M Hyper won't ever happen due to the restrictions. Unless they fancy digging a 200ft+ trench... 
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

rainbowryder

Liam.W wrote:A B&M Hyper won't ever happen due to the restrictions. Unless they fancy digging a 200ft+ trench... 
Or if the locals decide not to restrict the UK's largest theme park from building roller coasters. It is so strange that a park with so many world's first coasters, including 3 iconic B&M coasters, has such tight restrictions. It's hard to imagine how different the park would be without the restrictions and how it would affect the park's popularity. Of course this is me just dreaming of an almost impossible reality but parks can have a change in restrictions. Thorpe Park's height restriction almost doubled in height to allow for Stealth to be built. 
Dreaming aside, I expect SW9 to be a thrilling coaster. We had a family SW with Th13teen, a thrill coaster with The Smiler, a family coaster with Wicker Man, and so hopefully a thrill coaster for SW9 to follow on the trend. Assuming no changes in height restrictions (which is almost certainty), I'd like to see a coaster focusing on either speed (with launches) or water (with splash downs). 
Stan.H

Yeah, hopefully, SW9 will be a thrill coaster, but I cannot see the height restriction for the park being changed any time soon - I am pretty sure further reasons for it being there (other than locals) is the fact the park is in the middle of the countryside and the local council has a say in that I would've thought.  Personally I love that Towers has a height restriction as it means their coasters are more innovative and unique compared to other parks around the globe - really adds some charm to it!
Zeuzeez

Intamin multi launch like Taron please!
cookiee_munster

rainbowryder wrote:
Liam.W wrote:A B&M Hyper won't ever happen due to the restrictions. Unless they fancy digging a 200ft+ trench... 
Or if the locals decide not to restrict the UK's largest theme park from building roller coasters. It is so strange that a park with so many world's first coasters, including 3 iconic B&M coasters, has such tight restrictions. It's hard to imagine how different the park would be without the restrictions and how it would affect the park's popularity. Of course this is me just dreaming of an almost impossible reality but parks can have a change in restrictions. Thorpe Park's height restriction almost doubled in height to allow for Stealth to be built. 
Dreaming aside, I expect SW9 to be a thrilling coaster. We had a family SW with Th13teen, a thrill coaster with The Smiler, a family coaster with Wicker Man, and so hopefully a thrill coaster for SW9 to follow on the trend. Assuming no changes in height restrictions (which is almost certainty), I'd like to see a coaster focusing on either speed (with launches) or water (with splash downs). 
To be fair, that's what i like about the park. You can't really see it from the outside and it's nicely hidden away. Could you imagine Nemesis built all above ground level? it certainly wouldn't have the impact as it does when it's running through those massive trenches. The same with Oblivion's tunnel. It's good these restrictions exist. it means the designers have to come up with more creative ways. I'm really hoping that the next roller-coaster at the park is a B&M. Ever since Air, all the coasters that came after it just never seemed as special.
ATI

I'd really like to see them build an Intamin Blitz on the Galactica car park. Believe it or not, but you can actually fit the whole of Klugheim and Taiga on that car park. So they definitely could fit one there.

Something similar to Taron (focusing on airtime and rapid transitions), combined with a Resort guest entrance and maybe a flat ride or two would work wonders. They could certainly fit a low to the ground coaster, like Taron, and also dig trenches for the lower elements, much like Taron. Throw in a few water effects and theming and I think you've got a winner.

It would make the most sense that SW9 was built here as it is an open space that is rarely used, and considering the park are in the process of converting a grass field into another car park, its as if they are planning ahead for the parking space that will be lost to this development.
We were born to fly...
RideOpMatt

ATI wrote:I'd really like to see them build an Intamin Blitz on the Galactica car park. Believe it or not, but you can actually fit the whole of Klugheim and Taiga on that car park. So they definitely could fit one there.

Something similar to Taron (focusing on airtime and rapid transitions), combined with a Resort guest entrance and maybe a flat ride or two would work wonders. They could certainly fit a low to the ground coaster, like Taron, and also dig trenches for the lower elements, much like Taron. Throw in a few water effects and theming and I think you've got a winner.

It would make the most sense that SW9 was built here as it is an open space that is rarely used, and considering the park are in the process of converting a grass field into another car park, its as if they are planning ahead for the parking space that will be lost to this development.
I just can’t see them putting a multi launch in. As much as I’d love it, I think it’d make them look like they’re playing catch up with BPB. I could imagine them putting a water coaster in. Like aquatrax or something else fairly thrilling - I’d imagine it’s something they’ve thought about since removing the flume. Earth, Wind, Water & Fire... Then that’s their marketing done for the next 4 years
WillR

I personally would love to see a Mack extreme spinning coaster like Time Traveller at Silver Dollar City. In my opinion, Spinball is the weakest coaster in the lineup, and that area could easily be used for another Cbeebies expansion, so why not add another spinning coaster. 

As for location of the new ride, I think it could be on the Galactica Car Park, or potentially somewhere between Wicker Man and the Gardens. Both areas seem to have a mish mash of themes and need something to come in to tie multiple themes together in order to make sense. 

As for cost, Time Traveller was the first in the world and cost similarly to the Smiler when adjusted for inflation. 

Also a kick in the teeth for rivals Blackpool when you consider Pleasure Beach's relationship with the Mack family. 

The other point worth noting is that these trains have the same restraints as Icon, so would accommodate younger or shorter enthusiasts than the other main thrill rides there, making it more marketable.
Rhezz

So I know it will never happen, but here is a concept I had in mind...

Galactica car park area.
Multi-launch duelling S&S Axis coaster with möbius loop.
https://youtu.be/uehCqnCRVDU
Black track, white track, grey/silver trains.
Plenty of intertwining elements, near misses, disorientating features - really maximise the potential of the track concept.
Themed to time travel - not fully thought of the backstory but it could tie in with Galactica. More of a lighter/optimistic tone of discovery and exploration - maybe in search of something benevolent in the past.
For enthusiasts they could even include references to SW1/SW2 in marketing (the scrapped Arrow Pipeline) - this could be the spiritual realisation of those plans.

Ahhh if only ... thoughts? Criticisms/ additions would be welcome
cookiee_munster

I feel like there's too much emphasis on the Secret Weapons as coasters and not enough being done for the smaller filler flat ride attractions. The park have gone through a period of removing flat rides and not actually replacing them with anything. I'd rather see what money was being budgeted for a new SW coaster and used instead for some highly themed flat rides for most (if not every) land(s). The park is becoming overun with rollercoasters, there's more to a Theme Park instead of just that. 
moog666

Wow. Its been a Long time since I last posted. Was just chatting about potential sites for new attractions. Can anyone confirm if tthe Wooded area opposite Duel (The potential site of the schwarzkopf coater in the 90's) is still an option for development?