Universal Orlando Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
abigsmurf

Judging by the way the track is passing through those supports I'd guess there isn't the space for a cycle + sidecar train. Despite the launches, it seems the ride is going to be pretty mild, moreso that Thirteen.

Looks like it's going the Gringotts route of cramming in as many neat ride elements as they can rather than going for pure thrills. I like that but looks people hoping for an intense ride are going to be disappointed.
PhNx Survivor

So.. it’s been confirmed that there will be a drop section on the new ride.. if anyone didn’t know that already..

And the launch systems are either all in place or are getting in place, it’s something to note that the launch segments are spaced out. This could represent Hagrids motorbike when it backfires and jolts, as shown in the Deathly Hallows chase scene a few times.

More ground work being done.. generally looks good!

The Jurassic Park (World) roller coaster is also now starting to get a few noticeable points, as more screws and markings have been put in the ground.

All can be seen in this video link :)
https://youtu.be/bhyJVuuKMRU

EDIT: The drop section is said to be roughly a 30ft drop.. that’s quite a big drop if true.. how big is Th13teen’s drop?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
ThemeCrafter264

Th13teen's freefall drop is about 1/2 what is expected to be the freefall drop for the Harry Potter Coaster at around 15ft.
PhNx Survivor

That’s going to be a nice feeling falling for that amount then.. Th13teen usually gives a right good ache in the nether region :lol

Next few weeks should be good to see construction updates, especially with anything new for JW
lewis97
Admin
Admin

On the above, a potential point of note is that there will actual be two drop tracks side by side, likely to increase capacity. Hence there will be a track switch just before/after the train enters/exits the drop section. This is evident in the structure of the building's framework, as shown in a recent photo from bioreconstruct. The rumour is also that "Devil's Snare" will be a key element of the show sequence for the track drop.

In other news, Universal Orlando have announced HHN 28's second original house, Slaughter Sinema.
SLAUGHTER SINEMA PREMIERES THIS FALL AT HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS

We’re taking 80s B-movie monsters and creatures and putting them into one frightening experience—Slaughter Sinema. This new house joins the line-up of original storylines you’ll brave at Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights 28.

It’s showtime at the local drive-in. As you approach, you’ll see movie trailers of what you’re about to witness, filling you with dread as you make your way inside. The smell of popcorn will be first to hit your senses as you find yourself in a movie theater snack bar. But from there, it’s all downhill for this double-feature.

[/center]

In one film, you’ll be hunted by werewolf bikers. In another, you’ll come across a bloody, gut-strewn pumpkin patch. And did I mention deadly barbers?

You’ll find yourself screaming through this sinister sinema as you try to avoid becoming the snack of alien cannibals, creatures with tons of teeth and a ravenous swamp yeti. Yes, you read that right.

Here are a few movie posters of the fearsome flicks you’ll see.

MIR

The dual drop section is very interesting, and promising! It should increase capacity somewhat. However, I think it could also possibly facilitate the scene in there being a bit longer than can be found on the likes of Th13teen. Which to me, in the context of the rumoured Devil's Snare scenario, would be necessary to allow for the further complexities of such a storyline.
theparklifekid

I'm kinda betting that the 2 drop sections will be slightly different from each other, with them having different audio effects, still quite an interesting development happening!

Also I had no idea they were planning something else for Jurassic Park, I wonder if it maybe a Flying Dinosaur clone or something completely different (wooden coaster?)
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Robert.W

I don't know about a wooden coaster... how much space do they actually have?

abigsmurf

Doubling the size of the drop is interesting but it raises a big question : can the mechanics behind the ride manage the higher speeds of a bigger drop? If it reaches 'max' speed halfway down you won't get much sensation after that. They could also make the drop have half the acceleration but that could mean it doesn't feel like falling anymore.

I half suspect they'll do a different form of the 'tease' from thirteen. You'll bounce around a bit as the devil's snare takes hold, then when you stop moving you'll lower slowly for a bit fooling you into thinking it'll be gentle then suddenly the drop happens.

Would explain why the element is so much bigger and also having a longer sequence would explain the need for two elements to maximise capacity
PhNx Survivor

theparklifekid wrote:I'm kinda betting that the 2 drop sections will be slightly different from each other, with them having different audio effects, still quite an interesting development happening!

Also I had no idea they were planning something else for Jurassic Park, I wonder if it maybe a Flying Dinosaur clone or something completely different (wooden coaster?)
According to some rumours the coaster will be taking up quite a bit of area as the markings are all over paths and drainage, quite a few trees are also being removed..

As for the coaster itself I don’t think it’ll be another flying type, and the possibility of it being a wooden, i’d rather have my money of RMC.. especially with the new coaster design they have recently opened. Will be something to look closely at in the future.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The two IP scare zones at this year's HHN have now been announced:
CHUCKY AND KILLER KLOWNS TO HAUNT THE STREETS OF HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS

This fall, the world’s most deadliest doll and hungry Killer Klowns from Outer Space will invade Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights. Get ready for two new scare zones.

First up—Chucky is back! After 30 years of mayhem, he’s creating chaos in the streets during a toy fair that’s turned lethal in the Revenge of Chucky scare zone. At this festival of toys, Chucky has twisted these playthings into new nightmares. Chucky himself rules this zone as he commands his minions to carve up some horror. This scare zone will be a tortuous delight to behold as he dishes out some revenge personally.

The horror and fun keeps coming as we bring to you Metro Goldwyn Mayer Pictures’ cult classic, sci-fi horror film Killer Klowns from Outer Space. As you enter the domain of these Killer Klowns, the smell of cotton candy hides the fact that this is all trick and no treat. This sweet candy is spun from human victims grotesquely cocooned inside giant pods of cotton candy. Try and escape the Killer Klowns or you’ll face the wrath of their cotton candy rayguns that turn you into a tasty cotton candy snack.

Earlier this month, we revealed three scare zones with their very own haunting stories. These original Scare Zones were Vamp 85: New Year’s Eve, Twisted Traditions and The Harvest. Click here for details.

The nightmares and frights inspired from 1980’s horror films are taking over this year’s event. You’ll face your greatest fears of the past in 10 houses featuring the biggest names in horror like Netflix’s “Stranger Things” and Legendary Pictures’ “Trick ‘r Treat”. Brave five spine-chilling scare zones with hordes of menacing creatures. And watch the powerhouse dance crew, Academy of Villains, kill it with a new show packed with twisted entertainment.
Alex

Universal have just had a soft opening of their new show in the lagoon, it's certainly an upgrade on anything they've done in the past!
abigsmurf

Looks pretty neat, not usually a huge fan of heavy use of water spray screens but, unlike with Fantasmic, they're more to complement the other elements rather than being the sole focus.

It's crying out for some pyrotechnics for the finale though.
Swarm Chris

Well it took them long enough to bring World of Color to the east coast! Seems very much like a cut and paste with Universal IP instead, which is no bad thing, but I prefer the World of Color soundtrack, which is a big part of that attraction for me.
abigsmurf

Slightly clearer shot of the drop section. Looks like it's about 40% the height of the building. That puts it about in line with Thirteen's doesn't it?
Alex

abigsmurf wrote:Looks pretty neat, not usually a huge fan of heavy use of water spray screens but, unlike with Fantasmic, they're more to complement the other elements rather than being the sole focus.

It's crying out for some pyrotechnics for the finale though.
Due to the thunder/hail storm about 30 mins before the show they had to scrap the pyro for that soft, the night after pyro was added to the show and it works really well with it. Plus they're still adding effects to the show and lasers are evidently coming as well.
PhNx Survivor

Just a smallish update on Harry Potter, uploaded 5 days ago, no new Jurassic World info, and just a general look at both IoA and Universal.
Credit: Midway Mayham
Robert.W

New Theme Park for Universal Orlando!

Although the possibility of a new theme park for the Universal Orlando Resort in Florida is something which has been heavily speculated by fans for quite some time, only recently have Universal finally acknowledged that a new theme park is indeed in the works for their Floridian resort. 

Image: CBRE

Whilst no actual details about the new park have been confirmed as of yet, some speculation into possible names for the theme park has already begun. Universal have recently trademarked several different names – some of which are registered for use in their amusement park division. One name, "Universal's Epic Universe", has been filed for use in amusement park attractions, live stage performances and merchandise. Another recently registered name, "Fantastic Worlds", is speculated to be the name of an area inside the new park.

Source
Last edited by Robert.W on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abigsmurf

Epic universe sounds like a pure marketing slogan to me. It's get dated really quickly as a theme park name (although you could argue it's actually an appropriate use of the term unlike most 'trendy' uses) . If I had to guess they'd use it to refer to all the parks as a collective when buying tickets.

I still think there is going to be a problem with the cohesiveness of the three parks. I'm not sure if there are even any backlot/behind the scenes rides left at studios. The heavy theming of Diagon Alley and the Simpsons areas blend it with Islands of adventure even more. Current rumours/speculation is that the third park is going to be heavily themed franchise areas at the level of Diagon Alley. Is it going to be a case of "lightly themed park, mediumly themed park, heavily themed park" as their identities?

But that's for their marketing department to sort out, the prospect of a new enormous budget park full of the latest tech is an exciting prospect.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

A teaser image for the Harry Potter rollercoaster was released on Pottermore today: