Largest Queue For Monorail

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Stan.H

What is the largest queue you have been in for the Alton Towers Monorail or other Theme Park Transport??
Mine is 90 mins for monorail @ AT Live 2013, apparentely it grew to over 2.5 hrs!!!
Nathan_Fisher

I would forget that, i would rather take 20 minutes to walk. Longest iv'e waited is probably 5 minutes, it was a weekday in April a few years ago.
daveclarkedaveclarke

Must agree with Nathan_Fisher if the queue is longer than it would take me to walk I would walk. Don't get me wrong the monorail is a great start to anybodies day but not worth waiting over 30 mins for unless you really need it.
Adam.W

I almost always walk, rather than use the monorail, unless it's practically a walk on
tallicay2k

Screw that, why waste that much time before you even get past the turnstiles. As posted above I'd walk, unless it's there ready and waiting with the doors open for me.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
SmilerLover

I have seen the monorail with 2 hour ques (upon seeing said ques I decided to walk)
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
Finally...

I normally get to Alton Towers just before ERT when I visit, and so decide to drive up to the end near the gates so I can get out easier at the end of the day. (I find many more people do this now than used to) As a result I'm parked nowhere near the monorail station so I walk to and from the park to my car every visit although I have seen it rammed for the monorail back during fireworks, which is odd as the other entrance is open at that time of year in the evenings also.
shaundentwilliams

The queue was massiz e when we parked up there was a shout out saying it had broke down when we go there the queue was a walk on and working

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Adam.W

I've been there when the queues a good 30 mins
itsoliver

tbh I just normally just walk from the car park its not that long of a walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan.H

swirusek wrote:20 minutes is nothing :)
But it's a waste of your park time and life!! :D :yes:
Smiffy107

the biggest queue I ever had was on our first visit to alton towers many years ago, the queue was about 45 minutes I believe but to be fair we did get there VERY early haha, the last time I went, we probably waited about 30 mins for the monorail.
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
Ryan.B

I've only been once when it is all the extensions open and flowing outside. If it goes back th the corkscrew or by extra ordinary golf, walking ne is quicker.
leammiles

When I first started going, I was under the assumption that the car park was miles away from the main entrance and that you HAD to get the monorail in.

Once I realised that you could walk, I started walking pretty much every time.

If there is no visible queue, then I'll get it.

One time there was a HUGE queue, I'm talking at least two hours on the way back to the car park at the end of the day.

The queue was outside the monorail building and snaking out on the main foyer when all of a sudden there was a thunderstorm.

The monorail doesnt run in thunderstorms (or so everyone was being told) and everyone had to walk back to the car park in the heaviest rain I've ever seen. I was really cheeky and pushed my luck...the bus that goes to uttoxeter train station was parked just outside, I ran and got on and asked if he would mind driving to the car park, he ended up letting a load of people on and driving us to the top end of the car park. I still got the most wet i ever got in my life.
george.murray

I only waited about 5 min, I like walking it and peeking my head through the gates into staff only areas haha
Some Zomponies Are Armed & They May Fight Back. So Prepare To Duel!
jackf1tz

Longest I've waited is 10 mins, normally just walk B-)
Burniel

I've never seen my family even consider walking, even if it looks like the monorail queue is longer than walking. Some sort of strange "saving our legs" logic, even though we could sometimes be on our feet longer when queuing. It's always nice to be able to start and end the day on it, but I've waited half an hour in the past when with family, and it's not worth that long. Credit where it's due though, they do seem to run it fairly well at peak times.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Robert.W

The monorail procedures have really improved since the start of the season, with queues usually quick moving, they still get long, but not as much as earlier this year. Personally I think walking is more enjoyable, my legs tend to get more tired when not walking... and if you walk you get to seen Nemesis and walk on the Rollercoaster Restaurant path!