Rollercoaster Restaurant

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
S.J_O'Grady

Wow! I just wanted to share this because it's the first Mirror article I've ever seen to say only positive things about AT!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/trave ... ng-8104215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Zach

Have to say tried the RR and I was hugely impressed! The staff in the restaurant are hugely helpful and positive from the minute you walk in. The food was gorgeous, I was really surprised by the quality of it. The overall experience was fantastic! I'd recommend it and certainly can't wait to return, no issues no hassle food came as ordered and mine is not an easy order with normally comes wrong but this came perfect so 10/10 for this restaurant a new favourite.
ROYJESS

I just had experience the coaster resturant for the first time Tuesday and I can only echo what @TheSmilerMan posted.

Fantastic 10/10

Self service at a premium! My wife and I will definitely eat there again.
manamonkey

so from the other posts I've read I'm taking it you can make alterations to the menu items?
e.g. remove cheese from a burger etc?

how does that work with the tablet ordering system? is there a section where you can make requests to your order?
ROYJESS

When you add an item to your order, there is box that you can open up for you to add notes for special requirements. Just type in, but be aware keep it short as you are limited with how many words that you can enter.
manamonkey

Thanks for the info much appreciated :)
KoasterKraver

I feel we need a topic for funny special requirements!
craig.day.92

Very quick review, Went in yesterday to eat, Thought the place was one of its kind, Very basic food no difference to what you would get in the park and quiet expensive but well worth a visit.
manamonkey

Went on the 29th for my birthday, atmosphere was great and fun to watch all the food come down on the rails especially when they got stuck and the waiting staff had to poke them with a stick.

The food was good but yeah as you would expect you pay a theme park premium for kinda standard food, would recommend it non the less though. Also the staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful, one even gave us a great tip on timing our orders as one took much longer to arrive than the other!
Sawboss

Just tried to book a table for during Scarefest but it seems its all booked up already :( Should have booked earlier, and worried now the park is gonna be rammed when I go :P
towerslover

I was surprised by the atmosphere when I visited back in May, it had a very positive, family friendly, stress free feel to the place!
theparklifekid

So today I made a visit to the restaurant and my its a good experience, only good.

The rollercoaster track itself is quite cool, and never failed to make me look up as it comes whizzing down the spiral track.

The atmosphere was great, the video that plays every once in a while and all that concept art made me smile.

However the food I thought was very filling and basic, also my chips were cold after 5 minutes.

Overall it's worth it for the experience. 6.9/10
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
TinkerGem

I went to the Roller Coaster Restaurant yesterday and was very pleased. It was great watching the orders flying around above our heads and I especially loved the loop.

The food was nice, I had the steak with peppercorn sauce which was very tasty and my steak was cooked exactly as I ordered. The portions were generous and I thought the prices were ok for what we got. It's not fine dining but I was expecting something similar to nice pub food which is exactly what we got.

I would go again but maybe not on every visit to AT as for lunch its a bit pricy.

Overall I would give it an 8/10.
Owen

After having a little while to think about my experience I can conclude that my personal experience at the Rollercoaster Resturant was just okay.

The atmosphere and rollercoaster gimmick was fantastic, however the show played every 20 minutes had no variation as so got extremely tedious extremely quickly. First I must applaud the waiting staff as they were absolutely fantastic - some of the best on the resort. The food however...not so much.

The starter I chose was nachos with various dips and chesse - fairly simple and not to risky...or so I thought. Unfortunately the 'nachos' were so stale and the dips slung into the pot carelessly that I asked for my money back for the starter - the excellent waiting staff instantly offered a refund. Not a great start to what supposed to be a priemium dining experience...

My main was the Spicy Chicken burger. Note 'spicy'. Served with curly fries. The first unexpected surprise was that the curly fries seemed to be standard French fries, which I know is small but considering it's a large part of the menu I'd have expected them to be stocked. The burger was said to have mayo and lettuce in, and so my horror in finding a large tomato in the burger was quite real (as I hate the things!). Although this wouldn't effect me personally, if I had an allergy to tomatoes and I ate this due to the lack of it being mentioned it could have made me sick. Again a bit picky but like I say, sonewhere where a meal can cost £30+ shouldn't have these issues. I then bit into the burger and everything seemed wrong, the sauce was not any form of mayo I'd eaten, and the burger was not spicy in the slightest!

Finally got desert I chose a kids chocolate brownie after hearing this was plenty. That is exactly what this was, and it was very tasty! Finally a win!

All in all, although none of the issues were experience ruining, I must admit this experience has made me weary of going back. This is a premium priced dining experience for a not so premium experience! Although the gimmick certainly is half of what you're paying for - I'd try it again mainly for the staff and the gimmick. :)

5/10.
Justin

It is a shame that you experienced some issues, Owen.

I've found the whole experience very pleasant. Having eaten there 3 times so far, every occasion has been great! Food has been on form, staff happy and still a unique experience. I love the show personally and it does make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It is certainly a place where I can escape. It might be worth putting a special requests on your order. They are good at meeting requirements.

What time of day did you go? My visits have been evening. Also, does anyone know what will happen with evening bookings for Scarefest/Fireworks?
MakoMania

Justin wrote:
What time of day did you go? My visits have been evening. Also, does anyone know what will happen with evening bookings for Scarefest/Fireworks?
During these events you need theme park admission in order to gain access.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Justin

Sorry, I didn't make my original post clear. I'm thinking with regards to bookings? :) Will it be book or turn up?
I expect they will get you to book as usual, but no official announcement has been made. I can see people turning up in the evening like lunchtimes.
ASturge21

Justin wrote:Sorry, I didn't make my original post clear. I'm thinking with regards to bookings? :) Will it be book or turn up?
I expect they will get you to book as usual, but no official announcement has been made. I can see people turning up in the evening like lunchtimes.
I've booked an evening table for Scarefest on the day I'm on park and it looks like they're fully booked up for Scarefest now.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Justin

Not surprised.
I'd be looking at lunchtime for Scarefest. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the crowds.
ASturge21

Justin wrote:Not surprised.
I'd be looking at lunchtime for Scarefest. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the crowds.
I'd imagine it will be made clear that evening meals are fully booked with the usual 12-3 lunch slot being advertised as available without booking but still expect people to turn up for dinner without a booking.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk