Rollercoaster Restaurant

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Swarm Chris

Well it's apparently the 2nd Birthday of the Rollercoaster restaurant soon and they'll be having a "People who came Second" VIP event.

In a desperate attempt to get people to come, they're spamming Twitter with invitations to anyone who has come second in something of note. 42 invitations in half an hour and still counting:

https://twitter.com/altontowers/status/994896307880955905

An interesting take on effective social media usage :lol
Robert.W

It's not funny. My Twitter feed is full of rubbish now. :( Seriously Alton, you need to get a grip! 

Nutty Man

I went a while back, and I enjoyed it. The food was delicious, the atmosphere great, but my only criticism would be the price. I went with three other people and the four of us ended up costing about £80! I would definitely go again, but maybe on my own next time!
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Justin

The RCR is a tradition for me now. I have to visit on every trip. I certainly think it has improved over time, although I miss the glass lids to the pots which were replaced with plastic lids early last year. It is expensive, but I believe it is the best place to eat on park.
Swarm Chris

Those glass lids were so much better. Much harder to accidentally launch those across the restaurant when undoing the elastic than the new plastic ones. :lol

Was in there three times last trip, enjoyed every visit.
Morgan

I try and eat there once a year. It's a lovely experience but the high price for standard food is why I don't eat there often.
Justin

The thing I quite like about it though is that the food is different to that being offered elsewhere in the park. :)
Robert.W

The quality of food is also much much higher at the Rollercoaster Restaurant, although that says more about the low quality of food around the rest of the park to be honest. The Rollercoaster Restaurant food is nice, but it certainly isn't anything amazingly special. They can probably still justify the higher than normal price tag because of the unique experience though. 

Justin

Yes, agreed! You are certainly paying for the experience! :)
Swarm Chris

I really didn't like last year's chips that were served with the burgers though. The seasoning seemed to have the ability to remove taste from everything else. Also the burgers last year seemed worse than I'd had in 2016.

This year's chips though are amazing! The red velvet cheesecake as well is probably the nicest thing I'd eaten at a Merlin park.
Robert.W

Yeah, this years chips are the same as the original chips they served at the Crooked Spoon, I think, which I really liked. They still serve nice chips in the Crooked Spoon, just not the same ones as they used to!

Justin

Good old village chips. Yes, they have moved to RCR, although they can also be found in other Merlin Parks :)
Swarm Chris

And which parks would those be... :)

Somewhat thankful I haven't found them at Thorpe yet, because I do love the pasties and burritos there this year.
Justin

They are/were at Fins :P
Swarm Chris

Hmm, I got giant chunky chips last time I went in there around Easter.

Now that'll be a dilemma for me this weekend!
Justin

Yeah, it tends to be a bit hit and miss.
DeadJack5

I tried the RCR for the first time during the closed season this year back in February. It was quiet obviously so the same buzz or vibe from a normal park day wasn't there but I did like it. The food quality was really good and having the gimmick of the rails made the experience something unique (obviously). I've only ate there once but I do plan on returning there at one point throughout this season. The price could be a problem for some but if you have a merlin pass, this does help a lot.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Leek Signs have shared this photo of a new display in the Rollercoaster Restaurant featuring Wicker Man concept images.

Justin

After seeing this, I must say that it is really nice to see the Rollercoaster Restaurant receive an update. I know it is not much, but it shows that the park are committed to updating the restaurant with new additions. Hopefully, the show will be updated with Wicker Man footage too! :)
Robert.W

Yeah, it'd be great if they added a Wicker Man segment to the light show! :)