Rollercoaster Restaurant

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Sawboss

Hey that's pretty cool, does this replace the woodland walk for all day access from the hotels then? That's the end of getting to forbidden valley way before everyone else in the morning I spose :P
Sawboss

Just had a look at Theme Park Worldwide's video of the rollercoaster restaurant. Wasn't interested but having a better look has won me over. Only thing I worry about is portion sizes being a bit small, but hard to tell from a video.
Ladyofthelake

I had lunch in there yesterday and personally found the portion size just right. However, I guess it does depend on the individual as my just right may be someone else's too small. It is a great place to eat though and is my new favourite location to eat on park. It's not somewhere I will eat every trip, but I will definitely be going there again this season :)
Justin

I've booked a table for lunch in a couple of weeks time and I'm really looking forward to trying it out!
I certainly think the park is moving in the right direction with this new restaurant and I look forward to seeing what comes next!
Adam.W

Does anyone know if the path leading to the RcR is open in the mornings? (So you can walk to Galactica instead of getting the monorail etc)
Aidan Lowe

Adam.W wrote:Does anyone know if the path leading to the RcR is open in the mornings? (So you can walk to Galactica instead of getting the monorail etc)
The gates heading into the resort by Galactica were only opened at around 5:10pm yesterday, so no, it seems to remain shut until park close.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Owen

Can you not use woodland walk anymore then?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Owen wrote:Can you not use woodland walk anymore then?
It's now closed in preparation for the construction of the ATH extension by the looks of things, although there's nothing to suggest that it won't reopen once that's complete.
Owen

Thanks Lewis, wasn't aware that the walk would be closed due to the construction :)
NeoXIII

I accidentally Rollercoaster Restaurant on Saturday.
Was curious if I could a table without pre-booking, and surprisingly I got a table right away (which isn't that much of a surprise though, as I was there by myself). The staff was super friendly and helpful, and ordering via tablet was quite easy. I got my food rather quickly, and it tasted alright. Woman and her child next to me weren't that lucky, they had to wait longer for theirs even though I sat down on the table after them (the staff did mention that steaks would take longer than everything else, and I only had a salmon salad).
Also spotted some TT members! ;)
Ladyofthelake

TowersTimes paid a visit to the Rollercoaster Restaurant on Saturday and we've just published our full article over on our News Page

I have to say that from a personal point of view I was very impressed. I was a little worried that it would be a bit of a gimmick before I went, however this is not the case. The restaurant has a great atmosphere, the food is served very quickly and tastes great. Some people have mentioned about the portion sizes being small, however I found them just right as I normally find the portions in places like Woodcutters far too big! Whilst it's not somewhere you'd eat every trip due to it being priced slightly higher that other outlets, I will definitely be making a return trip later this year :)
Georgie

It looks really nice. Looking forward to possibly trying it out sometime later this year. Anyone up for booking a table for the summer sizzler? :P
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
NeoXIII

GThing64 wrote:It looks really nice. Looking forward to possibly trying it out sometime later this year. Anyone up for booking a table for the summer sizzler? :P
I'd be up for that! Would that be considered a ride takeover though? :D
JSMarsden

Went there on Sunday evening with the other half. Out of 10, probably 6/10.

You have 1 tablet between the 2 of you, and order by seat number. We both looked through the menu to see what we wanted, however I ordered my burger, and by the time she had pressed to order her main meal and drink, my burger and drink were already coming down! Took another 2 minutes to come down.

Total time waiting from ordering was no more than 5 minutes for both meals -> which makes me wonder how on earth they cook it so quickly (pre-prepared on hot plates i guess?) She also said her rice tasted like it had been microwaved :(. After paying £48 for 2 drinks (1 being a water) 2 main meals, and 1 sharing desert, i felt a little short changed.

Yes the roller coaster theming and the way you order/the way your food comes is good. But I didn't expect a full evening meal to take under 30 mins (Dinner menu should come slower!). £14 burger (roller coaster burger) wasn't particularly great, the ice cream sharer wasn't anything special, and the other half had nothing to rave about with hers too.

In all honesty, yes it was quick with the food, but just too quick (that is possible!). Prices - touch too high for what you get etc. Yes, Ipad this, roller coaster that (plus your in a themepark) but near enough £50 for a beer, water, 2 mains and a desert is steep, simply because the food wasn't worth that. (We left our reviews/thoughts with a staff member under galactica on the way out!)

Nothing to rave about, left a touch disappointed in all honesty :cry:

EDIT: In an update to the above I was probably a bit harsh! Would probably go with a 7/10 (average) rating.

Also in addition to this, Galactica was open for another night time flight (5-8pm I think?) however I watched it go around with 2 people on the front row with every other seat empty - can't really see it being a massive thing unless hotel guest numbers increase in the summer
Last edited by lewis97 on Tue May 17, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts
KoasterKraver

Why isn't Alton Mouse / The mouse, mentioned on the tables?
rosco1982uk

Ate lunch there today.

£42 for myself and the wife. 1 main course each and 2 soft drinks each.

I'll be honest. The food was bang average and I won't return.

The burger was of no better quality than that you'd get elsewhere from a fast food outlet in the park.
JSMarsden

rosco1982uk wrote:Ate lunch there today.

£42 for myself and the wife. 1 main course each and 2 soft drinks each.

I'll be honest. The food was bang average and I won't return.

The burger was of no better quality than that you'd get elsewhere from a fast food outlet in the park.

Pretty much exactly the same issue I had - no better food than any other outlet in the park just with even higher prices. We had 2 mains, 1 desert, 1 soft drink, 1 beer, and it was about £48.

We left feedback with AT near Galactica, and also left feedback Via the website. I would recommend leaving feedback via the website - as I received a £10 free voucher to use in the park, however this hardly covers a bang average meal (which is not harsh at all) for £50 - however, £10 free is better than a kick in the teeth and I'll use it next time if I remember!
Luce

I had an evening meal there last Thursday and although the curry I had was nice, I felt it didn't quite live up to expectations and the quality could have been better - especially having experienced Food Loop at Europa Park which is a fab eatery.

Despite this, I loved the atmosphere of the restaurant and the references to past and present rides was really nice, as was the sight of food containers whizzing down to your table.
Justin

Dan, Sarah and I visited The Rollercoaster Restaurant yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

From the atmosphere to the food being delivered, it is certainly a unique place and one which should be tried.
I had the Vegetarian Burger, along with onion rings and Rollercoaster Slaw and it was really nice. Admittedly it was more expensive than other restaurants on the park. It was £2.95 for a Coke Zero before any discount which I think is a little too expensive, but I will be returning!

The Rollercoaster video presentation is brilliant and the lighting is good too, even at lunchtime!
It proved very popular and MANY people were getting turned away as they had not book, so if you do wish to give it a whirl then make sure you reserve your place!

Although I didn't attend the Rollercoaster Restaurant the night before, I did venture down to Forbidden Valley in the evening and it was spectacular seeing the portal at night! It will be good to see it in the evening again on my next visit!
NeoXIII

Been to the restaurant once again last Thursday with a group of 8, and they messed up big times. We wasted two hours in the restaurant waiting to get our ordered food.
Some food came straight away, but for the most part we had to ask the waiters four times where our stuff is. Only after calling out the Manager on Duty we finally got all of our food sorted. :(
On the bright side, we got 40% off our food, some of us even the entire meal they've ordered. And we got some fast passes to make up for the time we waited. I'm not going to bother with the restaurant anymore. While the tracks and automatic ordering system is a nice gimmick, I prefer to have someone in person to order the food from rather to completely rely on this only. To be fair, I've been to other restaurants that manage orders via iPad as well, and they worked a charm, even with bigger groups.