Pleasure Island

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
X

Pleasure Island was featured again on yesterday's One Show, here is the link to the show on iplayer- it starts at 2mins in:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b038bj8q/The_One_Show_08_08_2013/

Interesting how there may be plans for a 4D Cinema. Also worth watching some of the interview following the VT as Deborah Meaden from Dragon's Den says the park needs something unique and she doesn't think the 4D Cinema is the answer.

Team Edit - Fixed Link ~ hursty
Last edited by X on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ukool

The links not found :( But im sure thier was a 3d cinima at PI many years ago.
hursty

Link Fixed
Dara

I only agree with Deborah Meadon up to a point. A worldd's first could be very much make or break for Pleasure Island. The problem with installing world firsts is that you have nothing to compare them to, in order to assess how popular they will be and how the public will react to them. Imagine if a few years back Pleasure Island had installed the UKs first sky swatt before Thorpe Park did, it would probably have killed the park. At least with 4D cinemas (although they're realy boring in my opinion) you at least know that the public like them.
rayfromboro

The Sky Flyer From Flamingo Land (New May Half Term)
Plus Zig Zag
Season Passes
Flamingo Land 2002-PD
Lightwater Valley 2015-PD
Drayton Manor 2016

2017 Visits
FlamingoLand:4
LightwaterValley:2
FantasyIsland:3
BlackpoolPleasureBeach:1
rayfromboro

The Sky Flyer Arrived Earlier This Week It's Gone For A Repaint & It's New Name Is VOLTAR (Due To Open May Half Term)
Season Passes
Flamingo Land 2002-PD
Lightwater Valley 2015-PD
Drayton Manor 2016

2017 Visits
FlamingoLand:4
LightwaterValley:2
FantasyIsland:3
BlackpoolPleasureBeach:1
kemperink

park to shut for good in a few weeks
Liam.W

I'm pretty saddened to see Pleasure Island go. I have many childhood memories there. It's a shame that not many people went to Pleasure Island, or even heard of the place, as they have some little gems there such as Tommy Tinkaboo's and Hyper Blaster is one of my favourite shot towers, despite it being very small when you compare it to other shot towers.

I think I may have to get one last trip there before it closes for good :(
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Nathan_Fisher

I remember going to this park about 6/7 years ago. It's a great park for the size of it and has some of the best Flat rides in the country. Especially Hydro Max, the booster. Even back then during a peak summer day I can remember crowds being very low. It's a real shame that the owners can't afford to keep this place running, considering the state it's currently in though with low crowd numbers it would of been inevitable that it would close.
I would only assume that most of Pleasure Islands business would of come from the nearby Haven holiday park with fewer visitor numbers from elsewhere.
Liam.W

Nathan_Fisher wrote:I remember going to this park about 6/7 years ago. It's a great park for the size of it and has some of the best Flat rides in the country. Especially Hydro Max, the booster. Even back then during a peak summer day I can remember crowds being very low. It's a real shame that the owners can't afford to keep this place running, considering the state it's currently in though with low crowd numbers it would of been inevitable that it would close.
I would only assume that most of Pleasure Islands business would of come from the nearby Haven holiday park with fewer visitor numbers from elsewhere.
I used to go to the Haven holiday park (ironically called Thorpe Park) every year for god knows how long and every year we would make a visit to Pleasure Island. I used to marathon Hyper Blaster all the time, and I'm talking 30 times a day :lol

Theo

Since it's Pleasureland's last day, has there been any news regarding where some of the rides that were currently there will be relocated? Especially since they only got the Voltar last year, maybe some of the rides could be located to somewhere like Southport Pleasureland or Oakwood?
Liam.W

There are rumours that the Boomerang has been purchased by Mellors, the owners of Fantasy Island. As for Voltar, since they bought it it has been closed more than it has been open, so I think that will just go to scrap!

Liam.W

Good article about the future of the rides at Pleasure Island! Really glad Hyper Blaster is staying in the UK, but it's a shame about Boomerang and Pendulus going to Asia!

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sad-e ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ryan.B

Any parks without a tower? I can't think of any :lol
Tom

As is to be expected when places like this close, a number of people have been to take some photos around the park.

See below some examples for your viewing pleasure:
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/pleasure-i ... 16.t106467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/pleasure-i ... 16.t106371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/pleasure-i ... 16.t106360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/pleasure-i ... 16.t106389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liam.W

Pendulus has gone to Flambards in Cornwall! Glad it's staying in the UK, although I have a feeling Flambards won't operate it like Pleasure Island did!

Dannyski

I grew up in Cleethorpes and remember when the park was being built - i used to go up onto the bank behind and watch the Boomerang being erected - mesmerising for a young kid :)

Does anyone remember 'The Big Splash' ride they had, it only stayed one season and was were the slides are now?
Dannyski

They’re auctioning off what’s left of this park if anyway fancies buying a water ride!

NemeJaney

Has anyone managed to win anything in the auction?  :D
My partner and I may or may not have ''accidentally'' won a monorail car for our tiny garden  :lol
NemeJaney

Apologies for the double post, but if anyone hasn't yet noticed, a certain auction error has been all over the news today...

During the carousel's auction, there were no bidders to match the company's £180,000 minimum sale price, until the last second. However, apparently it turns out that last minute bid was an accident! It is said that it was a slip of the hand by an online watcher, which is easy enough behind a screen, especially on modern touchscreen devices(not sure what the bidder was using).

Everyone's hoping that the new publicity raised by this incident will advertise the ride to a willing buyer who will not only treat the ride well, but will also help save the accidental buyer from a life-changing financial loss! Any thoughts on this?