Camelot

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
JezziWezzi

Its been a few years since i last went. I'm a young leader at a Brownie group, and we have just organised a trip and i was wondering if there are any new rides or a website i could visit?

thanks
jess
xxo
Ant

http://www.camelotthemepark.co.uk/ :W

That would be the official Site

And no rides this year as usual again this year I dont think the park will ever see a majour ride ever.
Rollercoaster 4 Life

Camelot haven't had a new ride/s for years have they :?: I last went a couple of years ago too, and to be honest with you it will be many, many years before I go again. :| It looked in bad condition last time I went, and the rides are a bit naff. (Thats my take anyway.)

Anyway, hope you and your Brownie group have fun, and the weather is nice when you go :wink: 8)
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!
JezziWezzi

I think I'll just stick with the older ones. Thanks Anyways!

jess
xxo
Evey

I've never been to Camelot. Is it any good as a day out? Looking at their website, they don't appear to have many rollercoasters but are there lots of other things to do? What's the log flume like? I can get half price tickets with work so I'm wondering whether to go.
AstroDan

It's, moderate - but no more than that.

They have the Whirlwind, similar to Spinball Whizzer but not customized, and a lot more crazy (as in violent), but it's not bad - the first drop is cool. They have a Pinfari Looper (The Gauntlet) but last time I went they only had one train and it was all looking worse for wear.

The Dragon Flyer is legend. A diesel powered 'rollercoaster'. always breaking down mind!

Excalibur is great, really one of the most scary flats out there (worse than anything at Alton). The Rack isn't too bad. but it's nothing special. They have a log flume that's not the worst.

It's probably worth it if you are up that end, but i wouldn't make any special effort if it's going to take hours.
Fantasmic

Camelot is ok for younger kids, I think your brownies will have good fun there!

The Log flume, the last time went, well the water was stagnent to say the least. :cry:
Kelly

Oh i used to go to camelot loads when i was little! I loved it :) But i see they've got rid of the sooty show :( It proberly isn't the same as it used to be, i remember it needed i definte licker of paint last time i visited, which is a shame because it was a good family day out :cry:
Vik

Been rumoured for some time, well just about every year for the last 10, but looks like Camelot is finally set to close in the next 5 - 7 years, to make way for a new village, and an extension to the Park Hall Hotel with indoor water park

More info
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx? ... ID=1545320
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

stokywolf

Stay tuned to Chorley FM for more infomation :wink:.

I'v only ever been past it on t'motorway and tbh could only see "Whirlwind" and the rest looked pretty naff and by looking at the website it does look a very poor park. I dont think im planning a visit there in a hurry.
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
ukool

^^^^
same here, never been and dont want to go
Vik

I went once, 16 years ago, it was a school trip because they were to tight fisted to pay a bit extra and go to Alton Towers instead.

Never been back since, glad finally someone has seen sense and decided to call it a day, even if they do plan to limp along for another 5 years.

Everytime I pass it on the Motorway, I just wonder "why bother", as it all looks rather tacky and generally run down.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Phil

Camelot's days are numbered. Looks like it could go at the end of this current season.

It will be a GREAT shame. The park is magical, i went loads of times as a little kid and LOVED it! It has some pretty good rides and great shows. I have many memories of the park and hope that it won't go, even though it inevitably will.
Jon

The themepark I have known and loved since i was very young is going to close down. I can't say i didn't see this coming, but I will be sad to see this park leave. It was on the news that this park with excellent themeing (from what i can remember) is to close. When i was little i always wanted to ride excalebur but was never tall anough, now i won't get to. :-(

R.I.P Camelot!

(ps if i can find a link ill post it up later)

xxdagoo

(edit, i didn't see the other post! sorry, folks, is there anyway of deleting this? sorry about that)
Formerly "Dagoo"
Evey

I went to Camelot with my friend last month. We knew it wasn't in the same league as AT so we just went for an enjoyable day out. Even though it's for children mainly we still managed to enjoy ourselves. There's loads to do with a really good jousting tournament (one of them was quite fit) and we enjoyed the magic show. The ride we enjoyed best was Pendragon's Plunge where you sit in a dinghy and go down a water slide. The park was really quiet though and we were the only 2 people on the dodgems which was hilarious.
John

I can't say I'm surprised, I haven't been for years and it was really quiet by the last few of my trips there, pretty much all of the half decent rides were almost walk on, but 10 years ago rides like venom (now gone) and dragon flier got over 20 minute queues. The rack has a fairly substantial queue line but I've never had to wait more than 2 minutes for it and trains on tower of terror didn't go round full (tower of terror was removed after the castle burnt down).

Back in the early-mid nineties this was a great kids park that was doing fairly well but it seems to have collapsed. Its a shame really as its far more suitable than alton towers for the younger folks.
ukool

has anyone got any pics, coz i have only eva seen the website
Ash

It is a great shame! How long has the park been around for?

I can remember visiting vaguely and if i can again remember rightly it was a relitavely good day out. The thing is i fear that American Adventure may also experience the same fate? How is that doing these days with visitor numbers and profits?

Its been quite a few years since they have been giving out entrance tickets outside local highschools! :D
John

Well acording to the ever reliable RCDB its been open since april 1984, so it survived quite a while, but now people don't tend to go to the smaller parks, as soon as their kids are biginning to get a little to old for the gullivers parks they go straigt to AT and miss out middle ground parks like camelot.
colin_p

[quote=""titler121""]I can remember visiting vaguely and if i can again remember rightly it was a relitavely good day out. The thing is i fear that American Adventure may also experience the same fate? How is that doing these days with visitor numbers and profits? [/quote]

American Adventure is probably in a better state physically than Camelot and is mid-way through it's plans to re-establish itself as a 'family' park without the Missile or Nightmare Niagara. There is a fair way to go but it looks like it might be possible for it to survive. To me it looks healthier than it did a few seasons ago, but there is plenty that screams out to be done.

Camelot's fate is a sad one, but not unexpected IMHO, and they have been threatening this for a while. Whether they will get planning permission is another matter. One to watch with interest!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 048858.stm makes interesting reading, the planning consultant quoted is Nick Laister - presumably the same Nick Laister who campaigned to save the Dreamland Scenic :?: