Big Six Challenge

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ryan.B

I love the logo, the mugs and jumpers look great quality, kind of reminds me of the smiler app qr code swirl, I will buy the mug and the jumper!
thi3teenloverboy14

I could see them using a card method a bit like reserve and ride but where it must be stamped but the only problem is that people would fake riding and just stamp anyway if they can access it without riding. If they don't use something like that then they will use a different method for those without a smartphone or there phone is dead ect. Regarding queues at scanning points they would probably put 2 or 3 around to solve the problem.
Aidan Lowe

imo this is going to cause a lot more problems for towers in regards to what you mentioned, when people have roaming on it eats the battery so fast trying to connect to 3G, then the cloud etc.

I can see a few scenarios:

- People forgetting to scan the QR code
- People complaining about how difficult and time consuming it is to scan the QR code due to sheer amount of people
- Battery dieing and no way of showing proof they completed it
- General cluster of people waiting to scan it, partially blocking people just wanting to exit the ride

Obviously I could be wrong and it could work like a charm with few people participating but imo its gonna cause frustration for everyone involved. Guests & staff alike.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Ryan.B

The smiler, Thirteen, Oblivion and Air could all be scanned without getting on the ride,The Smiler and Thirtee due to baggage hold + exit accessible to anyone same with The Smiler, Oblivion and Thirteen would have to be outside due to exit paths clogged in station, trains won't be able to be sent. Again Non riders could come by air stairs and outside Oblivion Station, Nemesis is often walk on so people could walk round queue, chicken out an scan (I saw an 2 hour queue and someone was scared so didn't ride) Rita's exit would get a lot of stacking so potentially anyone could scan all but Ritas. In regards to phones dying there are charging stations so they may be used. :)
Sentri558

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWr05C ... LVdyCdlVvA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As of 01/05/2015 they just released a bunch of new videos here :3
JaykeAT

Really happy I have a Nokia phone now...
Ryan.B

Congratulations on placing them outside the stations, next to the shops manged to place the smileys outside the shop, Nemesis on the shop, Air outside the shop not sure about the rest
Morgan

Que the cheats...
The app was released earlier an allows guests to take selfies and learn ride facts.
Ryan.B

Apart from Cough incorrect facts cough :lol Nemesis apparently pulls 3.5Gs
Zach

Seems there's a lot more to this challenge than meets the eye...more and more prizes are being announced
Jammydodger

I would love to see the hilarity that will ensue when a non-rollercoaster enthusiast can't get their head around why these European parks are copying all the UK's rides with their "Fake Swarm" and "Fake Oblivion"
Stan.H

On ATR's website on the Big Six page there is a random picture of Joey Essex on Air!! He is probably too scared on our good old Nemmie!!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

All Big Six Challenge pages have now been removed from the resort's website.
Adam.W

So the big six has been postponed till the smiler reopens? Seems a good move as it stops people coming to the park and wanting to do the big 6
Aidan Lowe

Well I think like the roller tester competition, the big six is pretty much dead in the water as well and merely scrapped.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
stealthsmiler

I dont have one so it wont affect me but what baout those that have already completed it? Can they take away the wrstband?? If they dont - will be a quiet day on park. Could they change it to a free admission on a regular park day?
Sentri558

Alton Towers youtube site (https://www.youtube.com/user/officialaltontowers/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) still has the Big 6 Videos up.
Dan

Alton Towers have confirmed to me on Twitter that anyone with a Big Six Challenge wristband will still get free entry on 4th November.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oliverfox

How busy is the 4th likely to be then?
The competition only ran from 1st May until 2nd June, and AT's last twitter post on 29th May states 'So far 4757 people have completed the #BigSixChallenge'.

Not all 4757 people are likely to use their free pass, because of work, school, uni etc, some will have been put off by recent events, and some will not even realise that their wristbands will still be honoured.
My friend and I have wristbands and are planning on using them too, but wondered how busy it would actually be, since I heard that it is also a 'limited access' day, whatever that means. (I went through the process of simulating booking tickets for that day and everything seemed normal)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It's one of the quietest days of the year, which is why it was picked to be the return day. Whilst it may be a little busier than usual, I would expect queues to remain fairly low.