Slowed down Runaway Mine Train

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
gladers2001

Visited towers over the February half term and went on the runaway mine train a few times, there seemed to be lots of overhead beams missing and was only running at half the speed it should be.
Any one else witnessed this over the holiday or now why it's running so slow, not so runaway at the moment, let's hope it's only a temporary thing..
Jack

It is running the same speed as it always has done :) and yes, a few beams have been removed but the reason for that is unknown as far as I know :)
Morgan

I believe the ride was slowed down after the crash in 2006.
gladers2001

I've been a pass holder for a few years now and live just down the road from towers so go on a regular basis. On Monday it was running really slow, even our 8 and 5 year commented on how slow it was, maybe just a clitch on that day or down to the ride operator then..
Jack

I was there on monday as well, it was running at the same speed it always has done. You may find that after a while it does start FEELING slow as opposed to it BEING slow :)
Michelle

We've visited a few times this week and not noticed it being any slower, painful in the hail today though!
Lee

I must admit that I thought it was much slower exiting the tunnel section than usual, which is odd as the team running it during FHT are quite experienced ride ops so it's not a training issue. The rest of it seems pretty standard for the post 'incident' speed and may just be down to perception as the head choppers have been removed.
TheBeast

At the risk of sounding stupid, does weight not influence it?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Lee

TheBeast wrote:At the risk of sounding stupid, does weight not influence it?
Are you saying that I'm fat? :lol

In free fall gravity driven coaster yes, but I'm not 100% on RMT as it's electricity powered throughout so in theory the control system should easily compensate for weight to keep a consistent speed.
TheBeast

Haha wouldn't dream if it :lol

Ah right just a shot in the dark, being a 15 year old I'mnot massively up to speed wwith rollercoaster mechanics ;)
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
RIDECRAZY

So is the Runaway Mine Train controlled by the op with regards to how fast it goes? Do they simply push a button and it sets off at the set speed or do they control the speed manually all the way round?

It definitely seemed slower on Tuesday when I was on park, seemed slower going out of station and over the top and then coming out of tunnel too!
Dan

RIDECRAZY wrote:So is the Runaway Mine Train controlled by the op with regards to how fast it goes? Do they simply push a button and it sets off at the set speed or do they control the speed manually all the way round?

It definitely seemed slower on Tuesday when I was on park, seemed slower going out of station and over the top and then coming out of tunnel too!
I believe that they manually control the speed all the way round the circuit, although I could be wrong.

I'd imagine that certain factors dictate how fast they can run it ie temperature or loaded weight of the train

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteB

TTheory wrote:I believe the ride was slowed down after the crash in 2006.
Correct!

RMT has never returned to its pre-crash speed. It's a ride I used to enjoy lots but now it's so pitiful I don't really bother with it anymore.

Doesn't make any sense, it ran fine from 1992 until 2006. Oh and the "head chopper" beams have been removed? Pathetic!
Ryan.B

I'm wondering if the head choppers removed were due to H&S because of people touching them and then complaining, why complain about something you caused,deifinately never pre crash speed, now goes 22 mph (forgotton the actual listed speed) I'd guess it was 26-30 pre crash
Morgan

Strange... I reckon the headchopers where removed for a paint?
KatangaZebra

People would put their hands in the air and then complain when they got hit by them. Maybe they got too many complaints?
Dan

KatangaZebra wrote:People would put their hands in the air and then complain when they got hit by them. Maybe they got too many complaints?
That wouldn't happen. The headchoppers would have passed the safety envelope test before the ride was opened to the public, if there was any risk of a rider being able to touch them they wouldn't have been there in the first place.
Cobby

Dan.N wrote:
KatangaZebra wrote:People would put their hands in the air and then complain when they got hit by them. Maybe they got too many complaints?
That wouldn't happen. The headchoppers would have passed the safety envelope test before the ride was opened to the public, if there was any risk of a rider being able to touch them they wouldn't have been there in the first place.
I know the rides have been though this and other safety tests but on the second helix when the track goes under itself , just before the tunnel/camera, if I'm sitting on the left hand side of the train I can easily touch the supports for the track above.Now it maybe because I am quite tall but it does get very close and ,by the look of the handprints in the dirt, other people can reach it too.

I've got this photo from a P.O.V video of the ride it's not perfect but it illustrates the point

Morgan

I still wonder why they have gone... Whilst on the ride, I saw one of them dumped on the floor!
seanyboyuk

i think it has got slower over time, its a former shell of what it used to be.
i always remember seeing the ads before opening on tv back in the day being excited
and it turned out to be an average powered coaster.