Alton Towers Resort Quick Questions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
The Nemesis Fox

I’ve got a season pass but want to visit in August and October. How do I pay the £10 upcharge? Do I pay at the gate or is there a way to book it online to guarantee entry? All help will be very much appreciated.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The Nemesis Fox wrote:I’ve got a season pass but want to visit in August and October. How do I pay the £10 upcharge? Do I pay at the gate or is there a way to book it online to guarantee entry? All help will be very much appreciated.
You can book it online by taking the steps that you would to purchase a normal admission ticket, and when you select the date you want to visit on, the up-charge ticket will come up as an option.
The Nemesis Fox

Thank you
The Nemesis Fox

Sorry to double post but does anyone know how to use bring a friend vouchers - do you pay at the gate or online. Can you bring a friend on an upcharge day?
DeadJack5

You go with the person using the voucher to one of the pay stations on the left of the entrance, show your merlin pass and they will pay the £15 for the ticket
The Nemesis Fox

Thanks!
Does anyone know if there are exclusions to this offer when the season pass exclusions apply?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The Nemesis Fox wrote:Thanks!
Does anyone know if there are exclusions to this offer when the season pass exclusions apply?
If it is an Alton Towers Season Pass that you have, then you can purchase the £15 'Bring a Friend' tickets online. As it is possible to select any date the theme park is open (excluding Fireworks) during the process of booking these, it would seem that they are valid during the exclusion dates.
AltonOperator

The Nemesis Fox wrote:I’ve got a season pass but want to visit in August and October. How do I pay the £10 upcharge? Do I pay at the gate or is there a way to book it online to guarantee entry? All help will be very much appreciated.
I did see an item on the ticket page of the booking system that allowed you to buy the £10 tickets a while back but I can't seem to find it now. I presume if you turn up on the day and head to the ticket booths on the left they can sort it too. I'll reply if I do find anything :)
Thanks Jack
Nickolai

I may know the answer already, but how come during school season several other rides are more busy than Wicker Man?
Formally Smiler313
Justin

It could be the way that schools operate. Depending on the age of the students, schools may opt for a free flow and off you go or groups to one area/attraction :) Some schools will decide which option to take based on their risk assessments.
Nickolai

That actually makes a lot of sense! I guess not all schools allow their students to just go off independently, thank you!
Formally Smiler313
vikkimoo

When I was 15, I went with school (please remember this was 2003 so a while ago now!) and the teachers made sure we knew where and when the coach would be leaving. They then legged it off around the park leaving us to fend for ourselves whilst they got on all the best rides :lol
Robert.W

vikkimoo wrote:When I was 15, I went with school (please remember this was 2003 so a while ago now!) and the teachers made sure we knew where and when the coach would be leaving. They then legged it off around the park leaving us to fend for ourselves whilst they got on all the best rides :lol
Same with my school trip to Alton Towers in 2014. At the time, I think I was 13 yrs old. The teachers literally left our small group (about ten of us) alone to fend for ourselves, despite most of us having never visited the park before. We kinda lost a few people on the way around the park and the teacher went absolutely mad at us... :lol We had an absolutely brilliant day though. In fact, had I not gone, I'd never have become so interested in theme parks!

Tom170499

The same thing happened with me in 2012. The teachers gave us an emergency phone number and told us to meet back on Towers Street at 4:30 :lol
richard.davies.98871

I’m a teacher and we do annual reward trips to Thorpe Park (y9+10) and Chessington (y7+8) with several coaches going to each. Usually they register with the teacher (one teacher has about 10-12 kids to check) every 2 hours or so. We usually give the. A 30 minutes window, Invariably kids are stuck in queues and end up ringing the emergency phone. We usually get the kids mobile numbers so we can ring them to see where they are if they don’t show up. Last year I was stuck in the Ghost Train queue and we had to ask politely for exit passes and bail out at the bag drop to get back to the dome to register the kids! Thorpe and chessington are much smaller than the Towers though, So makes the checking in every few hours a lot easier and less of a hassle for the kids.
WallisDan

I'm going to Alton Towers tomorrow. How have ride operations been this week? How busy has the the park been? I’ve been before but not since Wicker Man opened. Any tips on which rides to do when?
hursty

WallisDan wrote:I'm going to Alton Towers tomorrow. How have ride operations been this week? How busy has the the park been? I’ve been before but not since Wicker Man opened. Any tips on which rides to do when?
If you have Early Ride Time, it's certainly worth heading straight for Wicker Man as soon as you can, as that will be busy all day. Also worth jumping in the queue again just before park close for one extra ride.
Otherwise, it's normally best to work your way back from the far side of the park and keep an eye on the ride times website.
Marcus

Has single rider queues been removed for all rides or only a select few?
DeadJack5

Marcus wrote:Has single rider queues been removed for all rides or only a select few?
There are no single rider queues at all now. 
JC13

From all rides, unfortunately