Alton Towers Resort - Staff and Recruitment

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Lee

With the new season fast approaching, the Alton Towers Resort has once again begun its seasonal employee recruitment campaign.

Please post any staff or recruitment related questions in here. Please keep in mind that our community is fan based and does not represent the resort or recruitment teams and therefore information can only be presumed as suggestion.

We'd like to take the opportunity wish all those applying the best of luck, and to those successful a fantastic 2015 season :)
Speedy_no1

I would of liked to apply but the cost to get there everyday with the rate of pay just isn't practical [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RIDECRAZY

Speedy_no1 wrote:I would of liked to apply but the cost to get there everyday with the rate of pay just isn't practical [emoji20]

Where about's you from Speedy? I'm having the same debate, I'm going along to the interview to get an idea, the interview provides experience if not!
Speedy_no1

Liverpool mate, I have a decent job at min but thought that might be fun for the season, but it's not practical

definedancing

I'm thinking about the same issue. Going to the interview but am concerned a little about the commute from Nottinghamshire. Its about 100 miles a day. Does anyone know what they're like with hours? Like how many a week can you expect full time?
Ladyofthelake

The amount of hours you do usually depends on the needs of the business and where you work within the resort. More hours would typically be available during Scarefest/Fireworks and other special events.

Some areas or attractions at the resort would require later/earlier hours that others e.g. attractions on ERT would require you to be in earlier, or rides which gain large queues would require a later finish as you would be required to work until the ride finished operating after clearing the queue. Similarly if you were working in retail some outlets open later/close earlier.

Sometimes you will be asked to fill out a form at your interview detailing which hours you are available and willing to work. If you have a car then you can be more flexible. If you don't have a car then do your research on your commute before hand - what time train/bus would you need to get to get there for various shift start times? What times are your return journeys - that will give you an idea of how late you could work until.

Hope that helps :)
RIDECRAZY

I've got a public transport commute from Sheffield, which is only a couple of miles further away than Nottinghamshire (well depending on where abouts you are). I'm just wondering if anyone knew of bus times to and from the Resort for both Uttoxeter and Stoke station? I looked but I can't quite figure out whats the best option to decide if its viable for me? Does anyone know what the average start time is for Ride Hosts?

Any staff buses from anywhere? Could I get a bus from derby station instead? What times are these? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, just want to be sure! I also am struggling to find the info as its the closed season so bus schedules aren't easy to access, especially the Stoke and Derby ones!

Thanks guys :D
JaneCC

Hi all! I'm new around here and think I've got the right forum for my question? :)

I've applied for a job as Ride Host at Alton Towers and got an interview (yay!), however I'm soon to take my GCSE's and after calling up have found out that as I don't turn 16 till mid-april that if I was to get the job, that my contract would start on my 16th birthday (that's no problem to me)! However with school etc and with it being a reasonably long way to travel, I wouldn't want to work weekdays and only occasional weekends during term time, do you know if Alton Towers employ Ride Hosts simply for the May Half Term, Summer Holidays & October Half Term as it would me much better for me if I could simply work during these times?

Thanks everyone!
Jane
Lee

In short, yes and no.

Alton Towers do take on more temporary seasonal staff for their busier periods to help cover the longer operating hours and assist manage the increase in visitors and therefore the strain on operations. However I'm only aware of them doing so for the summer period (covering school trips too) and for Scarefest into fireworks. I don't believe that you have to work both however.

My best advise would be to contact the resort recruitment team directly to ask about what temporary roles are on offer and for what dates.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best for the upcoming season, if you are successful in the recruitment process. :)
JaneCC

Thanks Lee! Think I'll give recruitment a call in the morning and see what they have to say!

Thanks for all your help :)
JoshC

I'm sure they would be fine with you only working the holidays, I myself used to just work during the summer whilst I was at uni. Just make sure to explain what dates you can work when you're at your assessment centre. :)
definedancing

Can anyone tell me what exactly happens on the assessment day? Like how is it set up and everything?
Ladyofthelake

I can't say exactly what the structure of the day is like, but I can give you a rough idea of the types of activity they've used in the past.

Typically you'd complete 2-3 tasks on the day. A group activity to see how well you work with others - this could be just one generic task e.g working together to build a paper tower on a budget is one I know has been used, or a task specific to the area you have applied for e.g working in a group to work out how you would handle a hypothetical situation in a queue line.
They may ask you to pre-prepare a short talk on a specific topic, usually an interest that you have, however if they do this you are told before the day.

The group tasks are usually followed by individual interviews. The questions in this usually range from the typical ones you would expect through to more customer service/role specific questions.

I hope that gives you some idea of what to expect. The most important thing is to be yourself and try to relax as much as possible (although I know it's difficult in an assessment!). Good luck :)
definedancing

Thank you! I'm quite excited for this now! Certainly nervous, but the more I think about it, the more I want the job, and the more I want to impress the right people :P
RIDECRAZY

definedancing wrote:Thank you! I'm quite excited for this now! Certainly nervous, but the more I think about it, the more I want the job, and the more I want to impress the right people :P
What date is your interview? Might be on the same day!
definedancing

30th :)
definedancing

Anyone heard back? Just found out I have the job and I'm thrilled :)
Danny

definedancing wrote:Anyone heard back? Just found out I have the job and I'm thrilled :)
Congratulations! :)
Morgan

Congrats also!
RIDECRAZY

definedancing wrote:Anyone heard back? Just found out I have the job and I'm thrilled :)
Congrats DD! I have my interview on the 16th, just a couple of things? What were the guys wearing at the interview? I have no idea what to wear, the dress code is a bit vague haha! Also, I have very odd times I can work, for example, I'd mainly like to work school holidays - do they seem like they're bothered about this or will they take you on whatever if they think your a good candidate?

Thanks and congrats again!!