Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Altontowersbarlow

Just because Scary Tales uses an outdoor route and smoke does not mean that it will basically be Zombies Scare Zone with new characters. Alton Towers were just commenting on the general set-up of a Scare Zone to explain to the general public who might not realise what a Scare Zone consists of. Hundreds of Theme Parks use smoke in outdoor Scare Zones and all of these zones have unique and enjoyable experiences to offer. "Scary Tales" will likely utilise new theming and lighting effects along with some highly detailed characters, therefore providing a different experience to the existing Zombie Scare Zone. In 2013 Universal studios Hollywood had 5 Scare Zones, every Scare Zone used smoke and were outdoors however the different: scenery, theming, lighting, actors and costumes made these Scare Zones different from each other and provided a variant in the Halloween entertainment for the parks guests. I understand that it is disappointing that Alton Towers removed a maze, however on the positive side we have a brand new experience that could end up being better than a Scare Maze if the outdoor area is utilised to its maximum potential.
Count-Vonduel

I cant imagine Alton removing more stuff or even just leaving the event as is, I have a feeling that next year's Scarefest will see 2 Scarezones and 3 mazes.
Dan

Count-Vonduel wrote:I cant imagine Alton removing more stuff or even just leaving the event as is, I have a feeling that next year's Scarefest will see 2 Scarezones and 3 mazes.
Given how the budget for Scarefest gets slashed year after year this is extremely unlikely.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It's always good to be optimistic...

Lets see how this year's Scarefest turns out first.
stealthsmiler

I actually think that after this year, the budget maybe increased - if SW8 isn't coming anytime soon. That way Thorpe can get their gate figures from a new ride, and Alton can get theirs from amazing events (Altons events have been dwindling and they have a new thrill ride, Thorpe dont have a new thrill ride, but have lots of events)

But on this scarefest - I think the ultimate sleepover sounds amazing and I hope it remains every year!
Towers jamie

I really did think that scarefest would of had increased budgets this year because of alton towers live not being on.
arw2010

The ultimate sleepover is the highlight of scarefest 2014 I think yes. :D The mazes and scare zones are a bonus too.
Count-Vonduel

So...Anyone want to start speculating on what characters we may see in Scary Tale?
arw2010

Evil red riding hood? :yikes:
CA-Frantic

My honest opinion on Scary Tales is quite positive at the moment. Even though Alton towers said on twitter that it would be outside. They did say it is currently outside so this being technical as I am makes me believe that it will be where carnival was by goal striker. The experience I hope will go into the goal strikers building at the end. I don't know but I think they could also make it a four pumpkin as let's be honest they need one. Each new attraction they have brought for scarefest has been either a three or less or a five.
"I love the Night. Night is when a forest sings."
Lotty

Snow White and the flesh eating dwarfs?

As for the scary tales, I just worry that it won't be as "hands on as such" mazes are, they are more of a walk through rather than interactive, last year we went through zombie scare zone and not one single actor approached our group they just went for the "young girls" who screamed just looking at them. Which personally is why I'd prefer a maze as the actors have a smaller group to interact with.

But we will see and be positive and am interested to see what the other improvements will be.

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)
Cam_muir

Yes I'm annoyed at Merlin because they keep cutting budgets and all they care about is profit. HOWEVER, let's think of the positives at one point there was going to be 2 mazes and 1 scare zone being zombies so we could of been worse off. It's something new at Alton Towers and something to get slightly excited for because it feels like ages since iv been excited for something new (the smiler seems like ages ago) and although it is a scare zone I'm sure entertainments will do there best to make this year's scarefest as good as possible because they really do take pride in what they do and I can't see them letting us down. I hope the scare zone goes into goal strike but I doubt it, as I can't see the budget stretching to affording that many props unless they use a lot of carnivals props, which I heard a lot of them had been chucked.

Just keep open minds everyone yes it's a shame but it's not entertainments or Alton Towers fault and who knows we might get new lighting and roaming actors to increase the atmosphere (probably asking a little to much)
stealthsmiler

I am looking forward to scary tales as I enjoy outdoor mazes and scare zones. You feel exposed as opposed to trapped which I feel in some ways is a worse feeling as you have no where to hide. It is a shame that TOTT is not free any more though.
Morgan

With two free scare-zones, I think it's understandable why TOTT has a price tag.
I think with Dr. Kelman gone from TS, they should play the music in this video in the conservatory:
RobStandley

£280 for The Ultimate Sleepover does seem way over the top imo. Disregard the park entry for 2 days as most of us have annual passes, I think it's really overpriced. You could probably get a last minute all inclusive for a week in Tenerife or somewhere for that...
Aidan Lowe

I suppose you have to look at like it is a unique experience, hence the hefty price tag attached, how many people will you meet who can say they spent a night sleeping inside the tower ruins?
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
George B

I think that Scary tales will have a 4 :p) rating as zombies is 3 :p) so it's going to be scary but not as scary as TS and TOTT.

Thanks to NemesisRider for the signature
Alton13Nemesis

Or it could be aimed at kids, i hope not.
RobStandley

It's surely going to be family oriented with some small frights in there...
Altontowersbarlow

RobStandley wrote:It's surely going to be family oriented with some small frights in there...
A Scare-Maze that accommodated a similar theme to the new "Scary Tales Scare-Zone" had been operating in 2011 and this maze seemed to be orientated to thrill seekers. The storyline and plot looked rather placid but the execution of the: costumes, theming and characters appeared to be somewhat frightening according to the Scare Tours review. This shows that The Alton Towers Resort could take this attraction in a family direction however it is possible that the new scare attraction could be extremely thrilling. Here is the review including some pictures from the 2011 maze: http://www.scaretouruk.com/review---sca ... -live.html.