Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Liam.W

Yes you get fastrack for one ride on Duel, Runaway Mine Train, Nemesis and Oblivion per day of your visit.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

TuesdayNightChat

The Attic is one of the best AT Scarefest Mazes of all time since 06.

The Storytelling and theming was second to none.
Piplup2003

Which maze would y'all recommend this year if you could only do one?
This is a local signature for local people, there's nothing for you here.
Liam.W

Attic!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

DeadJack5

Out of all the mazes, I do feel The Attic is the stand out attraction at the event. It combines a good story, great theming and some clever scares to make an overall great experience.

I've been through multiple times now and I've yet to have a sub-par run through
Dom

See I was really let down by the Attic. It had great potential but it just kept falling flat. The second half of the maze doesn't make any sense while you are in it and it really lacks any effort in themeing in this second half. It wasn't until after where someone explained to me what the second half was supposed to represent that I fully understood it and even now I don't see what it really has to do with the first half of the attraction. It had a real lack of actors in it on both my runs, which were on two separate days. I wanted to like it, but I just didn't deliver for me. I much preferred Darkest Depths out of the two new attractions. I get that it has a story to tell, but I do feel the story is a bit disjointed. 

I do feel that Alton Towers need to sort themselves out a bit. Whilst Towers Street looks stunning all decorated, it is the only part of the park that has had any real effort made to bring the Scarefest vibe. In complete honesty I could argue that it didn't really feel like Scarefest. I know budgets have to be taken into account, but in all honesty id rather see a wider range of park theming than 2 new attractions. 
Hawkeye1922

Liam.W wrote:Yes you get fastrack for one ride on Duel, Runaway Mine Train, Nemesis and Oblivion per day of your visit.
Nope, fast track for only one day even if you are in the park for 2, unlike last year when it was both days
Adam W

Is it me or is there new music playing in several areas? Swear I heard a slightly more sinister Galactica theme in the queue, and some Gregorian chanting in Dark Forest.
Morgan

There's definitely a new arrangement for Galactica this year. There was a new Dark Forest track last year, so that's probably what you heard :)
DeadJack5

Now that Scarefest 2019 is officially done and dusted, i just wanted to share some of my thoughts on this years event since I've been lucky enough to experience it multiple times with multiple different groups. I'll briefly go into the different mazes and the general vibe from around the park.

Project 42:
I never really rated Project 42 last year, this year did see an overhaul to some scenes inside and the general layout, it was improved and there weren't any scenes that you could miss out on which is a positive. Again it was my least favourite maze of the bunch this year but I can say it was improved upon last year's version.

Altonvile Mine Tours:
The most consistent maze of the event for me. This was probably the best year I have had going through this maze. Every time i went through, it was intense and intimidating. Having going through with a group who had never experienced scare mazes prior, they all agreed it was the most intimate experience out of the mazes at the event this year. If it was to go next year, I'd be happy with this year being it's last with the quality of the runs I had and how good the case inside was.

Sub Species:
An interesting maze this year as many of you will know... Overall the maze kept it's intense formula and group splitting concept. Not much really inside changed but the run throughs i had were still good quality. Again if this was the last year that Sub Species was to be at the event, I would be happy with it leaving as it is starting to become a bit too samey and not as disorentiating as before but I still enjoyed it. The cast inside this year were great and cannot praise them enough (especially some certain cast members that might be lurking and reading this ;) )

Darkest Depths:
The biggest surprise for me this scare season; the maze itself is extremely high quality with some superb set pieces. The story is good and does the job, with you venturing deeper and discovering more to story. I was extremely impressed with the maze and just how scary it could get in some parts. I loved this addition to the Scarefest lineup but i do think the age restriction could do with some work.

Terror Of The Towers: The Attic
Going into the 2019 scare season, this was the maze I was most excited for, I can safely say it did certainly live up to the excitement for me personally. It was atmospheric, indulging and creepy in some scenes. Inside, the set pieces were well themed, had some great actor interactions and a great story to further immerse those inside. I did feel if you were near the front/leading, you did get most of the scares whilst if you were at the rear, it wasn't as intense but overall it was a great maze.

Atmosphere around park:
Towers have done a great job with the theming in some sections of the park this year, from the bunting in Fountain Square, to the ghost projections near Mutiny Bay, the park had some great theming. But i do feel like it could do with more in some areas, it was great to see it in some sections but then others it felt no different to a normal park day. In terms of audio, the new Galactica audio and the previously used Dark Forest audio aren't my favourite or to my taste but the general Scarefest audio for this year around Towers Street was great, really enjoyed it.

Overall event:
Scarefest this year was a lot of fun, the mazes for 2019 were of a good standard, the night rides as usual were great and the other aspects of the event like the Alton Ancestors and family stage shows were great from what I saw across the scare period. In my opinion, it was an improvement over last year but has some room for alterations next year, I would like to see one of either Mine Tours or Sub Species leave for another new maze or even made way for scare zones just to keep things fresh.
Morgan

It may be Christmas, but if anything that means that we're almost at New Years, which means it's a year with an upcoming Scarefest... :sus:

To be perfectly clear- I think that Scarefest is already an incredibly strong event. Throughout the years it's continued to get better and better, and 2019 was arguably the best year yet, with all mazes featuring stellar casts and production values. I think all the mazes and attractions on offer are stellar, and the lack of any one maze would certainly leave a void to be filled. 

The big-hit of Scarefest this year was obviously The Attic, and I reckon that'll definitely be coming back. I couldn't see any world where they'd build and develop such a richly detailed attraction- especially one so eagerly anticipated- only for it to operate for a single season. Knowing the park, there'll probably be a number of subtle changes to help flow and storytelling. I felt there were multiple effects that were easy to miss- whether that's due to staging or obstructions- so hopefully those will be rectified. I also hope that they will continue with the scripted conflict, and perhaps dial it up a bit, so there's a moral question that stays in your mind long after. I thought it was a really bold move to implement something like that, and I'd love to see what a new maze could be like if they played around with it a bit more, and had it as a focal point.

The other new maze was Darkest Depths, and this was a hit with all who did it. I reckon with a second year they wouldn't have as many issues selling tickets as people now know what exactly it is. Whilst I certainly did like the maze, on retrospective I found it a little weak, although I belieive that's due to the fact that it was disorienting being in a linear, traditional walkthrough for a younger audience. The introduction of Darkest Depths bridged the gap between younger thrills and adult mazes nicely, and for that reason, I reckon we'll see it become a Scarefest Regular.

And speaking of Scarefest regulars, I'm going to say something a bit left-field here, but I want to believe that House of Monsters is returning for 2020. It sounds a bit crazy, and I'm not one (nowadays at least) to make such wild speculations, but shortly after the 2019 line-up was unveiled, the signs around the HoM site exclaimed it'd be returning next year. Anyone who did HoM can tell you how charming it was, and how Scarefest lacked a certain camp silliness this year. With the building currently being transformed into something different for the Walliams area, it'd obviously have to end up elsewhere. Perhaps we could see it take residence in The Chapel or Goalstriker, as both have the necessary facilities to house it. The interesting thing, however, comes with scripting and the attraction itself. It'd be really weird, and some might say lazy, to just reopen the attraction exactly the same as it was- even though there was nothing wrong with it. I stand by my thoughts from last years little prediction bit- the puzzle scenes will be redone and there'll be a new room or two- but I wouldn't be surprised if the basic premise remained, just with an entirely new set of rooms and characters. Perhaps a joke or two about it being missing for a year for good measure.

Next, Project 42. I think this is overlooked-gem of the lineup as the technical set-up of the maze is phenomenal, but it seems of common opinion that it's the weak link in the chain. This begs the question- will it return? And I think there's reasons for and against. On one hand, the Sub-Terra building is insanely limited, and they recently rebuilt the majority of the attraction. On the other, the majority of guests believe it is by far the weakest maze. I personally hope that we see Project 42 return and that it can be appreciated for what it is, but I can't help but feel like we've seen it's last day. Although they've retooled it significantly since it's debut, it seems that people still don't enjoy it as much as the others, and for that reason, I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see it close.

And now, the tricky bit, that remains eerily similiar to last year. Whilst they're both very scary in their own rights, Altonville and Sub have had their time in the limelight. Now, both are terrifyingly brilliant, and could possibly work in a "franchise", echoing what we've seen with the Terror of the Towers "series", if you'd like. Maybe there's an unusual Club or Bar in Altonville that has a murderous reputation, or there's an Underworlder Uprising in the Sewers. I want to think that one of the mazes will return as previously seen, with the other having a "sequel" as such. There's a case for both of them- but as long as there's major changes, or even the canning of one of the two mazes. Like I said, they're both still great scare-mazes that have helped redefine the format, but their hairs are turning grey, and sooner or later their appearance will be more of a frustration than a joy (see Terror of the Towers: What Lies Within, returning for a mammoth run of nine seasons, which people became bored with by the fourth or fifth).

Of course, we've been spoilt by having a delicious new maze every year, and I doubt 2020 will be any different. Whatever comes next needs to offer what it replaces, so that it doesn't feel like we're lacking anything. I'm expecting, however, to see the park drift more towards story-telling and theatrical mazes. We recently got The Attic, which focussed more on story than anything else since Molly Crowe, and due to the generally satisfactory reviews, I'm thinking we might see more attractions like it. Towers have really played about with their recipe with things like The Welcoming, so I wouldn't be too shocked to see another experimental maze, or another one that holds story paramount.

Looking back over my notes, I've realised a correlation within the target audiences that the lineup holds. We have House of Monsters for kids, Darkest Depths for braver children, The Attic for those seeking chills, and Sub-Species for those who enjoy things a bit more "hard-core". No matter what your age or taste, Scarefest has you covered. Perhaps we'll see a supplementary addition for the youngest guests with something similiar to Trick or Treat Wood at Chessington. Whilst yes, the babes do have the Cbeebies Monster Ball, I wouldn't put it past Ents to long for an original concept that they can produce.

You'll notice that so far I haven't mentioned scare-zones, and I don't think we'll see them return- not yet, anyway. At Scaremazing earlier this year, the team noted how they desperately wanted to do something with the format, but it often persuaded people to avoid the mazes, for they assumed that a maze would just be the same tacky experience behind a paywall. I recall them saying how whilst for us "in-the-know" its a great supplement, but to everyone else, it's just a free headliner. Maybe they need to find a way to make it comparable to the mazes, so they do not pale in comparison. I do think we'll see them return at some point, but there's going to be some changes when they do.

I'd also love to see the celebrations take place across more of the park. We saw some nice extra bits of theming on park this year, and I expect we'll see more. The cheeky projections were hilarious, so more gags like that would be appreciated, alongside more physical stuff that we haven't seen before. Whilst the bunting and pumpkins are great, it'd be nice to see more variation elsewhere. Perhaps keeping the traditional bits on Towers Street like we've seen for years now, and have all the weird and unusual stuff across the rest of the park. Wouldn't it be cool if the spooky theming was related to the area it was in too? Roamers and extra shows would also be great, to offer something for those who can't, or won't do one of the many mazes on offer.

For the next bit, I'm tossing aside my educated estimates for a bit of wishful thinking, because dreams are wonderful things. Whilst I don't think we'll ever see it happen (not until the lineup has been perfected with something for every age bracket), I'd love to see something like a Darkfield container. I doubt we'd see one happen though as they're often slow and psychological, and probably wouldn't please a wider audience other than theatregoers. It'd be nice to see Towers experiment with this highly unusual format though! A more realistic hope is that we'd see a more traditional show take place somewhere on Resort- and I say Resort, because Scarefest isn't just limited to the park itself. And speaking of Resort- please bring scare rooms back!

So- my final "predictions" for Scarefest 2020, if you'd like to call it that. I anticipate a new maze for certain as that's what we've come to expect by now, the return of House of Monsters, some more park-wide theming, and a whole lot of polishing going on. I'm already excited to see what ideas Ents come up with!
Scarecoaster

Can someone please explain what the scenes in the second half of the Attic represent? I understand the demon but the rest was a bit confusing for me.

As well as this, here is my overall Scarefest detailed review WITH SPOILERS

SubSpecies
I did SubSpecies again because I wanted to know whether I just had a bad run.
Spoiler
It was SO much better the second time; I couldn't believe it. The actors were everywhere, shouting and grabbing you. The quality of this maze genuinely relies on whether you have a good or bad run (which isn't necessarily a good thing) but my second run was a lot better. The labyrinth was generally quite quiet in actors, however it seemed to go on forever with so many dead ends that the panic factor had already risen. The next few rooms were a blur, but the actors were mostly phenomenal. The fact that one actor would not let go of me for over a minute, my legs were tickled and two actors concentrated on just me for a while really increased the scare factor of the maze. I genuinely ran through some of the sets to try and escape the actors. By the time the chainsaw came I was ready to run straight out out of the maze.
I did like the theme of this maze and I thought some moments were well decorated, however the majority of the scenes felt quite sparsely themed in comparison to the other mazes on park. I know that the maze is very big and therefore may have less theming, but sometimes I literally felt like I was walking through black walls. The experience and intensity of this maze often overrides the theming for most people who enter, but as someone who loves good theming I was slightly dissapointed with this aspect of the maze.
Contrary to popular opinion, I would like this maze to return next year, but I really hope it becomes more reliable - that you can do it again and again with the same intensity.
Overall score: 8/10

Project 42
This maze was really entertaining and it seems to be just me who thinks that. It was loud, hectic, claustrophobic and loads of fun. I agree with the people saying that some moments lacked actors,
Spoiler
but I loved the whole experience in most other aspects.
One thing to notice about this maze is how much happens in a short space of time. I don't know if it was just me, but I was attacked, squashed pushed and shouted at multiple times throughout the whole maze. If I'm honest, the start was a lot better than the end of the maze. At the beginning there was a big squeeze through an inflatable corridor, tons of actors and a lot of scares. I was split from part of my group and fell over trying to run away multiple times, which increased the tension in the maze. The actors were mostly good throughout the experience, however the end of the maze was really drab. Luckily it didn't badly affect the rest of the experience, but there was no actors and I walked out a little underwhelmed. If there was a strong ending I would think much more highly of this maze and would probably have a better memory of it. I loved the start and middle of the maze but eventually it just turned to being quite boring. It's a shame because there were parts of the maze I absolutely loved. Just make the whole maze as intense as the start (after the preshow) and I think it would be great.
The theming in this maze was definitely better than SubSpecies, however it felt a bit scattered. I felt that there were random items all over the place and I was walking through it. Loads of plants, some tables, chairs, lab coats and chain fencing is basically what I saw throughout this maze. It's a shame because the props themselves could fit the theme if used properly, but they were not presented in the best fashion. However, I did notice the time-consuming attention to detail in some of the sets, the use of smells and scents and the fantastic use of lighting throughout the maze - so props to the Creative and Entertainments team for pulling this off.
I hope they bring this maze back next year just with the following improvements:
- Make the maze pumped with a lot more actors.
- Present the theming better to make the sets feel more realistic.
- Move the big squeeze to a late point in the maze as it would work well once tension has been built up
- Improve the ending (nothing theatrical is needed -just more actors)
Overall Score: 7/10

The Altonville Mine Tours: Legend of the Skin-Snatchers
This maze was a mix of good and bad. I loved how there were actors everywhere, the smells, and the theming. However the maze was way too short and I walked out actually shocked that it was finished.
Spoiler
The acting quality in this maze was fantastic. At the preshow my face was touched and the actors got uncomfortably close, and in the maze there was just so many jumpscares that the maze intensity was reaching unimaginable levels. The smoke, the beautiful sets (more on that later) and smells combined to make something pretty terrifying. I also found those skin masks horrifying - the fact actors were jumping in my face and feeling my hair and legs just made me so uncomfortable and scared.
The theming and sets in this attraction were very well done - I won't lie I did struggle to see the detail in them even though I knew how much detail there was just because of the very dim lighting. However the bedroom, the rooms with confectionary pots, the mannequin rooms, the corridors with inflatable clothes, the room with the cogs AND the ending shop were all so well themed that was beginning to feel immersed.
That was the problem. This maze was WAY too short and almost has to be extended. I absolutely loved what I got but I was just very dissatisfied when I walked out. There needs to be more to this maze as it is over way too quickly. This is not all a terrible thing however because it shows that I enjoyed the small time in the maze I got and wanted more.
Also, there was an attempt at an ending here however it just fell a little short for me. The gunshot in the shop was quite quiet compared to the rest of the maze and therefore didn't really jump me. I just walked out confused and scared.
This maze is a winner from the get go; the storyline is beautifully crafted, the maze is terrifying at places and all the sets ooze quality and authenticity - however the problems are simple. The ending is not very scary and the maze is way too short. If these problems can be fixed, this maze will be fantastic.
Overall score: 7/10

Darkest Depths
This was an impressive new maze with good theming. It seems to have controversy that the age rating is too low (the age rating is 10+) but if I'm honest, i think this rating is just right.
Spoiler
There was a beautiful mix of sets here - from the tavern, to the ship and the use of screens, sand and water. I was truly shocked to see how much effort had been put into designing and creating each scene in this attraction and each scene had it's own unique feel that contributed highly to the overall experience.
The acting quality in this maze was good and I really enjoyed their performances throughout the maze. I struggle to find faults in their performance. I especially liked the Captain character in the maze who was really going for his role.
The only problems in this maze were:
- Some actors seemed restricted with their roles due to conditions in the maze (e.g. there was a mermaid who just sat there staring at me because she couldn't move her lower body)
- The finale was not that great - it could have been a bit more dramatic
However, apart from that, this maze is a fantastic experience that I really recommend experiencing twice (and try to walk slowly). My personal favourite scene was the long corridor with strobes, a cannon and the kraken breaking in (and I wish the intensity in this scene was present in the finale) however all the scenes were fantastic, truly. I really love how Alton Towers are exploring new themes for their Scarefest attractions and really put effort into every new attraction they produce.
Overall score: 9/10

The Attic: Terror of the Towers
This was the final maze I experienced and it felt right to be the 'separately charged' attraction. It was theatrical and beautifully themed from the start to end, and even though it wasn't very scary it was a lot of fun.
Spoiler
I feel that this maze was an interesting experience. First the range of effects used in the preshow (e.g. the fireplace, wind in the window, sudden darkness then the actor appearing in front of you, bookcase opening by itself etc.) to the long climb up the stairs, to the intense maze itself. I especially loved how the actors seemed to appear from every direction and really tried hard to jump you. It seemed there was actors everywhere and the maze flowed like a beautifully designed show. There was jumpy actors, funny actors, creepy actors (one who I thought was a mannequin and was in fact a real person) and so many more. The scenes were so well designed, from the librarian's preshow to the detailed attic itself - it was all so theatrical and yet a perfectly designed maze at the same time. To end in a warm fire place with strange-looking creatures chasing you was absolutely terrifying and a perfect end to such a fun maze. Genuinely loved it and had such a blast. I really compliment the Creative and Entertainments Team for this attraction.
Of course this wouldn't be a review without negatives. I don't have many for this attraction, however I do have to admit it was a short attraction. Not as madly short as AMT, but I did think it was over a bit too quickly.
Overall, this maze was great and such fun. It was a bit too short and I was dissapointed when it ended, but I loved what I got with this and I hope it returns extended and mainting the impressive theatricality it beheld when I experienced it recently. Congratulations to the Alton Towers team for creating an incredible experience that is terrifyingly beautiful.
Overall score: 9/10

I really loved my overall Scarefest experience and am already excited for next year. The mazes they produce are just SO good and have such unique themes that they are just irresistible. I found the mazes this year to be especially scary and very fun.

When people say that they are dissapointed with the halloween atmosphere in the park, I have a few things to mention -
1) Yes, they need a scare zone.
2) It is more difficult than you think to set up halloween theming around the whole park - it is a very big park (however a few pumpkins etc. are always nice)
3) I don't really think lighting is a problem this year. Yes, the generators are noisy and the Wicker Man queue lights are unnecessarily bright - but come on, it's an effort and the whole park is lit up.
I sometimes feel for the team at Alton because it's difficult for them to do so much in a short amount of time. I know the lighting is not always ideal and the Halloween atmosphere is not always great, but there is so much to set up during Scarefest that isn't always obvious - it's difficult to theme the whole park etc. in such a short time (they can't start setting up Scarefest around the park too early). Please enjoy the positives of Scarefest rather than always picking on the negatives - there is so much in store to enjoy! :)

I feel the only main problems with this year's event is the lack of scare zones. They are good fun and allow all the family to enter without having an intense fright or having to put yourself under uncomfortable conditions. Alton having just one scare zone would revitalise the park Halloween atmosphere and would be a good step in the right direction for the park. I am thinking of this in a temporary perspective of course as Scarefest is only a temporary event that takes a lot of time and effort to plan. However, it is understandable that scare zones, unless they are richly detailed and offer good scares, may appear to the general public as cheap walkthroughs and therefore may stop the public from buying maze tickets. It is a unique problem which is quite hard to solve.

This years Scarefest is certainly one of the best however and I highly recommend anyone to go and experience what they have in offer. Even the rides in the dark are good fun and something unique that you don't experience very often. :)

Overall score for the whole Scarefest event: 7/10
Morgan

Regarding Attic's final sections-
Spoiler
You would duck through the fire-place, where the children were presumably pulled into the fire by the Demon, and arrive in Hell itself! It could be suggested that you had experienced death itself, hence your arrival in the underworld, and being welcomed to "eternal damnation".
Morgan

The focus may be on a different festival in October, but Towers Street have teased that for 2020, we can "experience the historic gardens in a whole new light".

Whether this hints at a scare-zone or just a nice night-time lighting package, it's great to hear that we may be seeing the most beautiful area of the park used for something spooky.
The Park Life

I really hope they put the lighting package on Wicker Man back to how it was in 2018. Last year was just disappointing.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As posted on TowersTimes social mediaAlton Towers have updated their website to add three additional dates to Scarefest 2020.

The theme park will now also open for the Halloween event on Monday 19th, Tuesday 20th and Wednesday 21st October, meaning that the event will run from 16th October through to 1st November, as well as Friday to Sunday the week before.

DeadJack5

Alton Towers have received six nominations across five categories in this year’s ScareCON SCAR awards, including 'Best set and design' for both The Attic: Terror of the Towers and Darkest Depths, and 'Best Halloween maze' for The Attic: Terror of the Towers. Towerstimes News has further details on the awards,

Which was your favourite scare attraction at last year’s Scarefest?
Morgan

Congratulations to Alton Towers for winning “Best set and design” for Darkest Depths and “Best theme park event” for Scarefest at the ScareCON SCAR awards!

What are your favourite moments from Scarefest 2019?

altonyoung

Any speculation whether Scarefest is going ahead this year? Because of COVID-19 etc... I hope it does but I'm not sure how a social distanced Scare Maze would work? Especially if Sub Species will stay.
Dan

altonyoung wrote:Any speculation whether Scarefest is going ahead this year? Because of COVID-19 etc... I hope it does but I'm not sure how a social distanced Scare Maze would work? Especially if Sub Species will stay.
Scarefest is still being advertised as going ahead, however no details have been released around what this year’s event will entail.

I imagine Towers are waiting to see whether there’ll be any further relaxation of the social distancing measures before deciding what route to take with the event, so it may be that the specifics for this year’s event are announced later than usual.