Disneyland Resort Paris

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
DiveMaster

Yep looks like all of the space mountains - paris, california and florida are being updated - the track for the california one has been updated - do not know about any of the rest. The paris one will not be changed track wise although the launch will be changed as to originally intented and will launch from the bottom of the cannon so the ride will be slightly longer. Also the soundtrack, which is awesome, is being updated. The one being built in hong kong is based on the new california version.

As for the one in Paris, from what I have been told the new effects will be largely produced on huge plasma/LCD displays - some of which will move with the train to give the effect of a chasing comet. To be honest the effects for Mission 2 for Space Mountain sound absolutely incredible - and with the new trains this vekoma ride should be more smooh and again make it out of this world - it will once again be the best dark roller coaster in the world.

If amyone wnats to try it - try it now or after april 9th it will be unforgettable for all the right reasons - if you like black hole at Alton Towers now - be prepared to have your mind blowed :D
DiveMaster

Just a quick update on Space Mountain: Mission 2, the Disney Imagineer team have already started making changes to the ride - even before it is shut on the 15th of this month.

For those familar with the ride, the story being a journey to the moon, the moon is projected at a key part of the ride - it used to be projected onto a board where you could see the seems - it is now projected onto a massive screen making it much clearer and brighter ready to be changed into the sun - it is rumoured heat effects will be used to add to the atmosphere :D

EDIT: The size of the screen is so large it an be seen from the queue line and will be used for the explosion of the supernova at the climax of the ride.
nick_mcuk

I thought they were changing the ride track too...hence why its closed for so long
DiveMaster

No its only closed for i think about 12 weeks - the actual track will not be touched although the ride will now be longer as the ride will now launch from the bottom of the cannon as originally intended.

On another note the park finally released a press release to the public announcing the new attractions officially. Here it is:

"2006 should see the unveiling of a new attraction based on the characters and magic of the Walt Disney Pictures presentation of the Pixar Animation Studios film Toy Story 2. At the other end of the galaxy, the evil Emperor Zurg is masterminding the construction of an invading army of battery-powered robotic villains. His plan hinges vitally on the theft of the entire galaxy's stock of batteries. Foiling this plan and pulling the plug on the power puppets is a job
for space ranger Buzz Lightyear. Participants will board two-seater ride vehicles, each of which will be fitted with dual laser pistols and direction controls, making it possible for guests to spin their space ships around a full 360'. To defend the universe our guests will then go blasting at the various targets placed throughout the different scenes their vehicles enter. Each successful hit will not only accumulate points on vehicle dashboards, but also generate special effects through the use of sound, light and movement. Set to become something of a standard in Disney Theme Park entertainment, the
popularity of the series of Buzz Lightyear attractions appears to lie in the development of a storyline concerning an unforgettable character, the ownership of an experience which guests create themselves and the desire to become a top scorer.

Toon Studios* at Walt Disney Studios Park

A new land in Walt Disney Studios Park will soon offer guests insight into the backstage activity of their favourite Disney characters. This land will be none other than the place where the toons toil - the setting where they make their films - and this theme makes our expansion unique in Disney Theme Park history.
This new Land will be a continuation of the Theme Park's current celebration of the animated world, and will thus find itself located alongside Animation Courtyard, between Flying Carpets Over Agrabah and Art of Disney Animation. Not only will guests meet their toon heroes here, but they will also explore their professional universe and participate in some of the most unforgettable scenes from their box office successes.

A further part of the development also calls for the expansion of the oasis area around Flying Carpets Over Agrabah and the integration of a number of photo, merchandise and food locations in this Animation Backlot.

Tower of Terror* at Walt Disney Studios Park

It all happened that stormy night. A freakish lightning bolt struck a luxurious Hollywood hotel, changing things forever and causing its last residents to vanish. 2008 development plans for Walt Disney Studios Park include a European version of an attraction whose popularity has soared since its introduction at Walt Disney World Resort in 1994, and more recently at Disneyland Resort in 2004. One thing already clear in the project is that the attraction will be a
Walt Disney Studios Park landmark. Its monumental architecture, central position on Production Courtyard and multi-story structure will all make it unmissable - to say nothing of the attraction experience itself.

Visitors will begin their journey by strolling through the timeworn, yet atmospheric lobby and library. These same guests will then be elevated high into the body of the hotel aboard service lifts, and straight into a strange world. The fate of the vanished former residents will then unfold before their very eyes, just as their own destiny becomes frighteningly obvious. As theirlift door opens, they return to reality, finding themselves and their lift plunging to the bottom of a lift shaft. The breath-taking descent will happen quicker than gravity itself and the rebound back to the top will give those who closed their eyes a second chance to watch what happens."
Anonymous

Hiya,

I have been reading this thread with great interest.

For those of you who dont know me, my names Colin, a Admin over on Crazy Gangs, and I am a massive Disneyland Paris fan, own shares in the place and have a Passeport Annuel Dream (or Dream Annual Pass if you prefer :P) and make about 5 or 6 trips there a year!

A lot of what has been said in this thread is true, however Dive, out of interest have you seen anywhere official that has stated about the 2012-2014 investments? I have read a lot of rumours but not seen anything that looks like it could be solid yet? I not sure if they could make plans that far in advance solely because of their financial situation, only reason they have made the announcements for 06-08 is because of the extra €250million funding they are receiving through the new share offering. They need to make the money before they can start planning for anything after that, I would personally say anything after 2008 is just rumour/wishful thinking (Dont get me wrong, i'd love to see it LOL)

Also not aware of any changes to the Space Mountain at WDW, admitedly I dont follow that park as closely as DLP but usually I hear about it some how, as for Disneyland in Anaheim, the ride is being completely rebuilt, though the track layout is staying the same (it was originally going to be the same as our track in paris, but then they changed their minds and decided to keep their current layout) this time the track is being build with the on-board speakers in mind. My understand with regards to them replacing the track in California is that they had to as the weight of the on board speakers they added to the existing trains had damaged the track faster than they expected. Space Mountain in Anaheim is due to re-open in November this year I believe, as part of the parks 50th Anniversary Celebrations :D (I am expecting to go to Anaheim June this year, Can't wait!)

What I am most looking forward to about mission 2 is seeing the Cannon being returned to its former glory, with the smoke start and moving parts, I didnt get to see the ride in its early years and this is something I regret :( I never got to ride it being launched from the bottom. Incidentally, in my mind if being launched from the bottom, the ride would be shorter not longer would it not? And the latest I heard on the music was that its going to be mostly the same, though is currently being tweaked to fit with the new timing, that is just a rumour, probably one of the things we wont know til April 9th (when, incidentally I intend to be there, anyone else going for the opening of the ride?)

Some of the effects you are describing for mission 2 sound awesome. I hope they are all true and will be incorporated into the ride. I'm hoping the rumour of new trains is true, again have you seen it confirmed anywhere. I have to admit, I am a little sceptical, though I remain hopeful, to ride without having my head banged will be such a treat :D

Nice to see that there is someone who seems as passionate about DLP in the Uk as I am, in the Uk I think its quite a rarity! You seem to be quite well informed DiveMaster, do you post on any DLP message boards?

C°o°lin
Anonymous

Hey Colin, nice to spot you on here!

DLRP has so much to offer right now and really is in it's own league. If you like Alton Towers then DLRP is a must! It does have high thrill rides, but also a much better atmosphere and don't forget the parades and shows too. "Wishes" fireworks in the summer seem very exciting indeed!!!

Space Mountain:Mission 2 also seems to be proving a hit already. The new music (written by the same guy who did the recent "The Incredibles" movie) will play a major part and the whole re-theming. I just cant wait to ride it!!!!

Why is DLRP the only resort with a decent Space Mountain? They had the best and now they are changing it again. Perfectionists or what!!??? :D
notts nat

they are also revammping the one in florida so it actually goes upside down
daniel_1431

well im going to disneyland paris for a week with the school at 5 sunday morning

tell u what it like

:D
coaster_chris

Here 's a little teaser movie of SM: mission 2
http://kyoto.free.fr/agdisney122004%20108.mov

The new trains for the ride:

Parts of scaffolding spotted in front of Space Mountain...

Chris
daniel_1431

i cant believe it is shut and i am going tomorrow :(
daniel_1431

I AM BACK, DISNEYLAND PARIS WAS GREAT
Gax

Ive just booked a 3 day stay at disneyland for the summer, I'm really looking forward to it!
On the Tower of terror subject, some themeing for the ride was installed in the park, but no actual ride.

But now the ride is officially beign built, the ride will apparently open around 2008 so constructions starting a bit early! here are some construction pics!
http://www.dlp.info/Guide/images/Histor ... 205_02.jpg
http://www.dlp.info/Guide/images/Histor ... 205_01.jpg
http://www.dlp.info/Guide/images/Histor ... 205_03.jpg
Ont he first two pics, you can see four large concrete pouring towers and on the last the Tower of terror themed fence can be seen.
nick_mcuk

[quote=""Gax""]Ive just booked a 3 day stay at disneyland for the summer, I'm really looking forward to it!
On the Tower of terror subject, some themeing for the ride was installed in the park, but no actual ride.

But now the ride is officially beign built, the ride will apparently open around 2008 so constructions starting a bit early! here are some construction pics!
http://www.dlp.info/Guide/images/Histor ... 205_02.jpg
http://www.dlp.info/Guide/images/Histor ... 205_01.jpg
http://www.dlp.info/Guide/images/Histor ... 205_03.jpg
Ont he first two pics, you can see four large concrete pouring towers and on the last the Tower of terror themed fence can be seen.[/quote]

Ahhh this was the area i saw them clearing in Feb 2004!!!

I know that thy have real problems with waterlogged ground at DLP...maybe thats why they are starting so early with the ground works?
fatlilmonkey

Who is it that makes Tower Of Terror o is it disney's own group :?:
DiveMaster

The Tower of Terror is being built by French contractors with the whole project overseen by French imagineering and WDI from the Disney Resorts Division - they have setup camp just "offstage" in the Walt Disney Studios Park.

In reference to nick_mcuk's question as to why construction has started already on a ride which is not due to open until 2008 is due to the large excavation work required, the EXTREMELY high level of theming needed for the building will take over a year and if like the California version we should expect over 6 months of ride testing.

They are also overseeing the construction of Toon Studios or as it is becoming known by fans "Pixarland" - they are very busy bunnies indeed especially considering the Buzz Lightyear ride is also being constructed in the other park as well as fininshing touches to Space Mountain: Mission 2.

Talking of which check out:
http://www.mousekingdom.com/scripts/for ... full&page=
Anonymous

How gutting my sister has just left for DLP on a preview trip (shes a travel agent) and has been invited to the 'gala' opening of Mission:2 where she is going to be one of the first people to ride..I will get a little report online when she gets back for those who want to know whats changed.
Anonymous

i like rok n roller coaster :)
Philman

May i ask what the point of that post was? Or was it just so you could make your first (pointless) post! If your going to say something like you like it... then please add a reason to it to make it look like you arnt just posting to actually get posts!
What a fad.
doom+sons1988

Is there a Tower of Terror Ride now at Disney Studios ?

As I may be going DLP in July.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
TimW

Hi,

It's due to open in 2008 I think, so won't be ready for July:)